on 6 January 2005
Unlike many Elton John fans I consider this album to the best of his along side Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Maybe that is connected to the fact that this was the first LP I can remember putting on my dad's grammofon when I was tall enough to reach the buttons. From the age of 4 I put it on constantly. I made sure that I got the original poster and booklets from the album when my dad disgarded his LPs. By then I had the remastered CD. To this day I think it's one of the finest album I if did hear. But now at the age of 22 I have found a substitute for my much played CD.
Captain Fantastic in SACD!!!
There are so much more in this album yet and it is all reveiled in SACD. It becomes an even more emotional and sincere record. I thought that was impossible. The title track has always been a favourite of mine and like all the others it shines even more. Throughout the album the Davey Johnstone's guitars, mandolins, you name it, have been given a boost. Personally I think the piano is more subdued but still dominantly pronounced in the ballads.
What I like the most is the crystal clear sound and the backing vocals. There are so much more nuiances in the entire album. You can litterally hear that it is Lennon singing back vox in the chorus of Lucy'and Nigel, Dee and Davey's bakcing voxs are sounding more superb than ever. Really suberp, recording artists today could or have learned from these guys.
I wont bore you any more. Just go ahead and replace your CD but keep your LP for sentimental reason. This is the ultimate edition of a master piece.
on 28 November 2004
Nobody reading this needs me to tell them what a great album this is. So let me just say that the surround SACD mix is superb. Greg Penny, who made his debut with the 'Goodbye Yellow Brick Road' SACD and is now halfway through the classic EJ catalogue, has got the new art of 5.1 mixing down to a fine art, subtle, varied, building and clever - but always working towards emphasizing the overall emotion of the tracks. I've waited ages for this particular album to get the treatment, and am delighted that such a good job has been done. The surround mix of 'Honky Chateau' is also incredibly successful, so I'm looking forward now to slowly replacing all of my 70s Elton John albums with these massively superior surround versions. Penny is working from the instruments that were on the original master tapes, so all that has really changed is the spatial arrangement of those instruments - and the increased resolution of the tracks, of course - so it is amazing to hear things that you had never heard in songs you've loved for decades. With so many artists mysteriously hesitating over getting in on the high-res surround sound revolution, I can only thank everyone involved with this Elton John series for getting their fingers out and making it happen.
I just love this album - first released in 1975 it showcases Elton John and Bernie Taupins's mastery of lyrics brilliantly. It also demonstrates EJ's ability to inject real atmosphere and imagery into his singing. The most famous track from this album is probably the single "Someone Saved My life Tonight" - the "someone" is thought to be a reference to Long John Baldry who persuaded EJ against a potentially unhappy marriage that may have undermined his music career. Everything about this album is perfect, including the sleeve graphics, and, although, the tempos vary every track is solid gold. Buy it, transport yourself back in time to 1975 and bathe in the waters of nostalgia.

In my humble opinion, probably one of the best albums ever made, and, in my view, certainly the best EJ album of all time. Recommended.
on 19 July 2005
This is quite simply Elton John's finest work and it even puts Goodbye Yellow Brick Road in the shade. From the opening bars of the title track, you know you're in a for a treat and at no point does it disappoint, with Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Better Off Dead and We All Fall in Love Sometimes being absolute masterpieces of the John / Taupin partnership.

If your experience of Elton John is mostly his newer stuff, then this album will take you're breath away. This was Elton John at the height of his powers and so good were his albums of this period that they carried him right through the last two decades which have been decidedly mediocre in comparison.

Captain Fantastic is one of those albums which stands the test of time - I've had it for over 20 years and still rate it as one the best albums in my collection and I play it frequently even now.

For that reason it truly deserves the five star average rating it gets on Amazon.
on 24 November 2000
Elton John has never failed to impress me, and, as usual, this album lives up to his high standards. As a school pupil I usually get endless abuse about being a fan of Elton John, but with 'Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy' the perception of my peers has altered; after I lent them this album they appreciated the true talent that Elton possesses! Particular favourites of mine and those highlighted by my mates are 'Someone Saved My Life Tonight' and 'Lucy in the sky with Diamonds'. Although these are the better known of the tracks on the album they thoroughly deserve the recognition they've received. This album takes you on a roller-coaster journey through the emotions of triumphs and tribulations and is definately worth buying, no matter what age you are! A timeless classic!
on 6 January 2004
I am only 14 years old and I am not embarassed to say that elton john is without doubt my favourite artist of all time. Captain Fantastic and The Brown Dirt Cowboy epitomises the career of man who in my eyes is a not only a national treasure but a god of pop/rock. The album chronicles the relationship and early work of John/Taupin partnership a partnership that has spanned more decades than Lennon/McCartney and one whom pop music should be glad it can call its own. Elton said of Captain Fantastic, 'It is one of the best' and I beg to differ, sorry Elton it is the best. The classic piano-rock ballad that is 'Someone saved My life to Night',the moody, 'When the Whistle Blows' and the echanting subtly and maturity of both verse and harmony portrayed in 'Tower of Babel' (My favourite track on the album and possibly of them all) gives a reality of felling to the album. It is in no way contrived despite being recorded in chronological order in a studio and it's pure instintive heart-warming lyrics and classic catchy tunes make this Captain Fantastic masterpiece fantastic indeed!!
on 15 May 2005
Having been a big Elton fan for as long as I can remember ( I grew up listening to Elton courtsey of my oldest brother who bought each album as it came out ), this is by far my favourite from an exceptional catalogue. I was 10 when this came out, but was instantly smitten from the first time I heard this.
Every song on this album is an absolute gem from the opening guitar riff of the title track right through to the repeated vocals of Curtains. Thirty years later, still, whenever I put the CD on I just HAVE to listen to the whole thing - the remarkable tunes and lyrics just make you want to shut everything else out and listen - and not stop listening until it's finished!
Both Elton and Bernie Taupin were at the height or their powers on this album - Elton's ability to match the music to the lyrics was never better showcased than here. Maybe it's because they were both writing about their path to fame and glory. Whatever, never has a record been so personal, yet so accessible to the wider audience.
In my opinion, they never bettered this album.They have come very close several times ( most noticably on "2 low 4 Zero" , " The One" and "Songs From The West Coast" ), but they have yet to conquer these dizzying heights again.
on 15 May 2004
To me this is Elton's best album. It represents everything good in Elton John music: chock full of memorable lyrics and tunes you find yourself singing long after they're done.
You get some of Elton's greatest hits ("Someone Saved My Life Tonight," "Philadelpia Freedom," and his cover of "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds") along with lesser known masterpieces ("Curtains," "Tower of Babel," and "We All Fall in Love Sometimes"). All in all, the album as a whole is nothing short of fantastic. I'm able to put it on and listen to it straight through without having to hit the advance button.
"Curtains" is probably my favorite song on the album: "I used to know this old scarecrow, he was my song, my joy and sorrow..." You also get the added bonus of three singles that weren't on the original album: "Philadelphia Freedom," "One Day at a Time," and "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds."
I was digging through my old albums and found I had the original album. The detailed artwork is amazing. There also was a lyric booklet as well as a Captain Fantasic poster. While I like CD's, you tend to miss out on this sort of stuff due to size constraints. It's really pretty cool.
If I were to limit myself to only one Elton John album that I felt was representative of his career, this is the album I'd get.

The three additional tracks on this SACD are all gems too - real added value in addition to the sonic advantages of the format.