Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
At the time of writing you can buy an Avent microwave steriliser ( B003P9WSVC ) for 1 penny more, it holds more and can be used many more times than the reported 100 uses of this pack. So that is something to think about when looking to buy a sterilising solution. That being said, I would recommend both Medela bags and Avent steriliser. Let me explain:

When I started sterilising bottles on baby number 1 I used a microwave dish steriliser. At first I thought it was great being able to sterilise several bottles at once. The problem comes when you open the steriliser, you can't just use 1 bottle and leave the rest in there for any length of time without having to re-sterilise. So it seemed a bit pointless to me at the time to sterilise any more bottles than I intended to use immediately after opening it.

Baby number 2 came along and I opted for both bags and dish. The bags are great if I want to sterilise a few things but not necessarily use them all at once. The microwave dish is great when I want to sterilise a few bottles and a breast pump at the same time and leave them sealed up until I am ready for them.

When I went away for a long weekend I also saved a bunch of space by using the bags, another big bonus. Additionally, If I am away for a day I can leave 2 or 3 bags ready sterilised and laid out with instructions for hubby - It is one less thing for him to fret over!

Both sterilising solutions have their pros and cons in terms of physical size, capacity, price. If you can afford it I would recommend both, use the microwave dish when you can and you won't have to buy as many bags.
on 13 December 2010
The easiest way to sterilise when away from home - but I also use these at home because we don't have much counter space for keeping an extra unit around. Easily fits all the parts from a Medela pump in or a few bottles.
VINE VOICEon 14 June 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We exclusively breast feed but this includes me expressing, initially so my husband could help with one nights feeds a week and then later so that I could continue feeding whilst I returned to work. As such we need to sterilise my pumping equipment on a daily basis and bottles fairly frequently. We have an electric steriliser for this at home and did buy a microwave steriliser for taking away with us as the electric one is quite a substantial size. Unfortunately the microwave steriliser didn't fit in my mum's microwave the first time we stayed with them, which wasn't a huge issue considering I could just breastfeed but might have been rather stressful otherwise. Therefore these bags looked perfect as they are small and easy to transport in a rather full car by the time we take everything else we need and won't have the issue of not fitting into a microwave. The bags themselves aren't huge which means that I have to sterilise my double pump in a couple of goes which is a bit annoying but perfectly manageable. Each bag fits one pump or a couple of bottles (depending upon style). Each bag says it can be used up to 20 times and I guess it could be used for longer as it still looks ok but as I'm not sure I don't want to take any risks. It's difficult to keep track of the 20 times limit so I work on a `what it looks like' basis on deciding when I need a new bag.

We really like these bags for the convenience of using when not at home and I guess they might be useful if you didn't have space for a large steriliser at home but I can't see that they would be a great long term option purely because of how many you would be going through.
VINE VOICEon 21 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I was skeptical about this one when I opened the packaging. I was happy to accept one for review purposes but I would never have bought one of these microwavable bags. Previously we've got by quite happily with a home sterilizer and a small portable one for traveling so I just couldn't see the need for this, even though it does fold down very small to fit into a bag.

My biggest concern was how I would get things out of the bag without getting a steam burn, as I've burnt myself that many times with standard sterilizers. Having used it I am pleased to report that this is a very well designed bit of kit. There is a hole on the side (above the water line)for pouring away the boiling water and the steam soon vents away once the bag is opened. It's so easy to throw the bag into the microwave that I have used it at home a couple of times now and been very glad to have it - you can imagine the type of thing; turning on our main sterilizer and realizing I'd forgotten one essential or using the bag whilst I let other items cool. The bag literally sterilizes in half the time of our work top unit (3 mins as apposed to 6), so that's a very welcome feature when your desperate!
The bag does have a limited usage. You have to mark off tick boxes with a pen each time you use it. It's good for about 20 uses and I can well see our family buying another when we reach the end with this one.

All in all, an excellent product that I am very pleased to recommend. I think this is the 5th glowing review I have written for Medela now, I can assure concerned readers that I'm not affiliated with them in any way but I am coming to rely on them as a brand that stands for well designed products that really work.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is an Ideal product to use when visiting or if you need to sterilise things in a hurry.

The bags are very similar to the `pour and store bags'. They hold 1 breast shield valve, membrane, milk bottle and cap or 2 breast shields, valves and membranes or 2 milk bottles and caps or breast pump tubing.

All you have to do is wash the parts in warm soapy water then rinse them and put them into the bags with either 60ml or 120ml water depending on what you are sterilizing and microwave 1.5 mins at 1100/watts or 3 mins at 800 -1100 watts or 5 mins at 500-750 watts.

You then pour the hot water out through the steam vent on side of pouch, open the bag and dry the outside of your equipment and it's ready for using again. The bags get very hot so you need to handle them with care.

The bags can be used 20 times, there are tick boxes on the front of the bags so you keep record of how many times you've used them.

The manufacturer states that this method of sterilization kills 99.9% bacteria and is a very efficient and safe method of cleaning. I therefore feel confident that it's safe to use for my baby's feeding equipment.

Clear instructions are given on the front of the bags and after 20 uses I've used them to store clean teats and bottles.

One downside is that the pouches only hold one 'normal' Tommy Teepee feeding bottle with teat but can hold two slimline ones.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Quite a simple ingenious system. Well designed and I particularly like the vent/drain built into the bags just below the snap shut line. I did at first think there was a tear in the bag (teaches me to read instructions properly). A word of caution however .. Although it does tell you in the instructions that some clear materials might become opaque through repeated steaming, I still wasn't prepared for one of the favourite little transparent cups to be made opaque after just the first sterilisation in one of these bags. So if you have any items which you want to continue looking pristine, my advice is don't put them in the bag. Just wash them with antibacterial washing up, or stick the in your dishwasher if you have one, or put them in a larger container and soak them in just boiled water from the kettle. The idea of a snap shut sterilisation bag is a good one, but certainly not universal, because also one of the plastic handled items also came out slightly misshapen, since the steaming in the microwave does superheat everything. Unless you are an expert in what materials your stuff is made of, and know their tolerance to heat, then it will take some trial and error. The instructions are not comprehensive as to the full list of materials that won't tolerate the process.

Don't forget also - don't put anything with even a tiny bit of metal in. It is a microwave process after all!
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Microwave sterilisation using a solid tub has always been my preferred and quickest method (plus has the benefits of storing everything in the microwave out of sight in a small kitchen) but there was always the problem of travelling and friends/relatives/holiday homes not having the right size microwave/ carrying a big sterliser around with you. These bags are well made with great instructions. The box they arrive in is really small so no problem at all in storing these or packing as luggage.
Highly recommended.
Medela Quick Clean Microwave Sterilisation bags

These microwave bags are designed to sterilise a variety of baby feeding equipment. Each of the 5 bags supplied per box can be used up to 20 times (100 cleans makes it about 15p per use), so although not particularly economical for every day, but a fantastic idea for taking when on the move. It solves the age old problem of how to sterilise baby's bottle when out for any length of time. Also a real boon when going on holiday, saving valuable packing space. Almost all store cafe's have microwaves for mothers to use to heat baby's food/milk so use their water, their microwave and your bag to sterilise afterwards!!.

They are quick to use, only 3 minutes, and the equipment cools down very quickly. They are therefore suitable when in a hurry and baby's bottles haven't been sterilised in the conventional way. The equipment can also be kept in the bag once sterilised until ready for use, making it easy and safe to travel with bottles free from germs.

To summarise: they would not be economical or convenient to use everyday (as you can not do large numbers of items at a time - say 1 large or 2 small bottles per bag), but a wonderful invention for use on day's out, when in a rush, when shopping, or to take on holiday. With this in mind I would give the product a full 5/5 stars.
on 2 December 2010
I bought this item for sterilising my breast pump, and use it on a daily basis.

Pros

-Very small so no storage issues
-Fast, no mess, easy
-Items can be stored in the bag following sterilising for use later in the day
-Items cool down quickly following sterilising, so breast pump can be used almost immediately
-Would be great to take on holiday

Cons

-Probably not cost effective if you need to sterilise more than once a day
-Noy suitable for sterlising a large number of items at once

Overall

Perfect for steriling breast pump and single bottle if you don't want to splash out on full size steriliser - highly recommend.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 December 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
These bags are very handy to have, especially when travelling. My wife uses them for her breast pump when she goes to the office (since there's a microwave available there) and we also use them when visiting relatives rather than carting our big sterilizer around.

We've only discovered two niggles with them. The first is that there's a hole in the bag to let the steam escape; so after sterilization the contents of the bag can't be kept sterile for a short period and need to be used at once. Obviously this is a design necessity, but it limits the practicality a little. The second problem is that the bags are just a little too small to take our mechanical breast-pump's bits and pieces and a bottle at the same time. This requires two bags be used and, of course, halves the lifespan of the bags.

Neither of these problems are deal breakers, but it would be good it they weren't there at all (a one-way valve would keep the bag sterile and still let steam escape, but I imagine the cost would be prohibitive).

Each bag can be used 20 times and there are handy tick boxes printed on the bags so you can keep track (provided you remember to pack a pen). If you know there's going to be a microwave available when you're out and about, these are very practical things to have in your changing bag or handbag.