Top critical review
523 people found this helpful
It's not that bad - but it could be better!!!!
on 30 July 2009
I was getting so fed up with the interference on my Logic3 iStation Alarm Clock Radio whilst listening to the radio in the morning that I started looking for a DAB replacement.
After looking at the sensibly priced options I was left with the two main contenders - the PURE Chronos iDock and the Roberts Idream CRD42.
My main criteria was simple -2 alarms, DAB radio and an IPOD dock.
The Pure option with 4 alarms, and better display was appealing, as was the Roberts with the better buttons, price, and seemingly less noise problems.
I finally made my decision and plumped for the Roberts. Figuring that the `Roberts' name would mean something, and more importantly as I was on a budget, that it was a little bit cheaper.
Good choice? Well..
The positives of the unit are -
* I found the unit a doddle to set up - switch on - wait a moment and it's done
* The DAB reception is great with no interference or noise even with the IPod docked
* The alarms are easy to set up and I have had no problems with them being missed or coming on twice or anything else reported.
* The buttons work just fine and the unit doesn't slide about too much - and I have big hands.
* The unit is neat and compact
* It does exactly as it should and works just fine as a bedside unit.
The down sides (hence 3 starts)
* The sound has zero depth - I was expecting better from a `Roberts'. It's OK for conversation but music is soulless and it has zero bass (the Logic3 unit was 10 times better)
* The display brightness is either off and un-viewable by day or too bright and lights up the room
* The remote functions are limited.
* The display is blocky, basic and shows limited information.
Should I have chosen the Pure unit? I really cannot say.
I am happy with my Roberts purchase but should I need to buy another item I will definitely find the time to go and have a good look at the options in the flesh first & listen to them too. The internet is good for buying goods, but not that good.
I hope this review was of some help to you.