4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch kit
I have a full frame DSLR and an Olympus PEN for travel shots; my wife has a Lumix G2 so this lens made sense for us to share.

I mention the SLR because because for those thinking of getting smaller gear instead of full size it might be relevant.

Published on 18 Jun 2010 by Cheatin' Jockey

2.0 out of 5 stars WARNING - Dust Ingress
I bought this lens specifically for my wife's camera on our safari honeymoon. On the positive side the lens is solid, focuses quickly and takes pretty good pictures. However, after a couple of days on the safari we noticed dust inside the lens. On closer examination dust has entered the zoom lens and is present on most of the glass lenses inside. I think the dust...
Published 24 months ago by the NUT

4.0 out of 5 stars Top notch kit, 18 Jun 2010
Cheatin' Jockey (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Panasonic H-fs045200e Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega O.I.S Lens (Accessory)

Firstly, this is quite a big lens compared to other micro 3/4rds lenses - much bigger and heavier than the kit zooms. With a reach equivalent to a 400mm in 35mm terms, this is to be expected. However, it is very well made and considering the reach the reach the actual size is not too bad.

The image quality is very good - I've read some reviews that say it lacks contrast but I don't think this is the case. So far then, on both the Pen and the G2 it scores really well.

So why 4 and not 5 stars? The OIS image stabilisation works, but not as well as the 70-300mm zoom on my Canon. At 200mm (400mm equiv. on a full frame) it's quite hard to keep it steady without high shutter speeds, which requires good light or high ISO.

Having said that it's the only game in town as far as long zooms go for micro 4/3rds; I'm glad we have a good one from Panasonic!

5.0 out of 5 stars The must have add on., 9 Nov 2009
S. Johnson Griffiths (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
The G1 is just an amazing camera, but I was a little diasspointed with the range of zoom that came with the standard lens. This is a must have lens to really make the most of the fabulous picture quality of the G1.
Great zoom (although Id still like a little more), nice, light and compact. Good optical stability on maximum zoom although in poorer light the definition is lost somewhat (though this is not necessarily a fault of the lens, it is bound to happen, just a bit of a shame).

All in all, a great lens, and a real must for anyone wanting to make the most of their G1 for anything other family snaps.

4.0 out of 5 stars works well with Olympus E-P1, 23 April 2010
Peter Bailey "nordowns" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
I needed a longer focal length lens for use with my Olympus at equestrian events. This Panasonic lens appeared to offer the best value for money in the range I was looking for.
It appears to be fully compatible with the Olympus, having first remembered to disable the lens antishake device ( not required with the E-P1)
I have been very pleasantly surprised with the consistency and quality of the results, many taken at full apperture and maximum focal length.
The lens certainly meets the range of my requirements and, in my opinion, is probably the best buy!
It also appears to confirm that the entire range of Panasonic micro four thirds lenses can be used with the Olympus cameras!

5.0 out of 5 stars So simple even an adult can use it, 1 Sep 2010
I have had the Lumix G for several months and was frustrated by the lack of a longer lens. This beauty is easy and quick to fit and gives my photography a much wider range than before. Can't fault it and strongly recommend it for price, quality and ease of use.

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as you will get at this price, 23 Aug 2010
I. Hayden "Aviator" (UK) - See all my reviews
While this lens represents excellent value for money, it follows the usual pattern of compromises that effect most consumer telephoto lenses in being very sharp from the wider end in this case 45mm toward its mid point but then slowly gets softer toward 200mm end.

With this format I found that there are very few alternatives within a sensible price range that are a comparable to the cameras body using them, many alternative from Olympus and Leica are 3 or 4 times the cost of the camera body. Given the price point I think you get good value with this lens. If you are planning normal sized prints and not looking to crop too deeply at the long end its unlikely you will be dissapointed.

As with all zoom lenses there is a weakness and with this its the long end of the zoom where it is quite soft, the autofocus hunts a bit at the log end as well, again common to other similar lenses.

To sum up, Good value, effective stabilisation but nothing special optically at the long end, but unbeatable at this price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Lens, 28 Nov 2010
The definition on this lens makes it a joy to use. The image stabilisation feature allows hand holding at all focal lengths.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good lens!, 28 Aug 2009
A. Walker (Lincoln UK) - See all my reviews
Considerably heavier than the camera it's designed to work with and those with chubby fingers may have problems as the lens body comes very close to the hand grip. However, the images produced are very good and I was surprised at the quality on maximum zoom, better than similarly priced Sigma lenses for DSLRs in my opinion but then the G1 produces excellent images anyway!!! Compliments the kit 14-45 lens and the image stabilisation works well. It's worth noting that if you own a blue or red G1, the lens is only available in black AFAIK!

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible lense, 22 Jan 2010
B. Manson "mad hatter" (London) - See all my reviews
I bought this lens to use with my GF1 on a recent trip to South Africa and the results are amazing. I have the 20mm, 14-45mm and now this lens. I must say i rarely use the 14-45mm lens as the 20mm produces stunning images and this adds the extra range I need. When shooting RAW the photos are crisp and clear and I think even better than my brothers more expensive nikon dslr.

5.0 out of 5 stars Panasonic 45-200mm Lens, 6 Mar 2011
When you purchase the Panasonic Lumix G2 it has a very high quality lens, the only thing it misses is the capability to zoom in close to items in the distance. The Varion 45-200 gives you all that, the quality is fantastic even with moving items. Highly recommended even at the present cost.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good lens, 3 Dec 2009
I use with a Panasonic Lumix GF1 12.1MP Digital System Camera 20mm Lens Kit - Black. Results are very good considering the small size and weight. Much much sharper compared with a Canon Powershot S5. Some vignetting / purple fringing at max zoom when taken against a light sky or white background but not drastic.
Overall not bad. Adds a fair bit of weight to the GF1 but is still a very light set-up and very portable. OIS works well but is not fantastic in poor light - you'll need a tripod. On good bright days however the results are excellent.