4.0 out of 5 stars Caress of Steel

Published on 19 July 2009 by D. LAZAR

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Caress of Steel, 8 May 2005
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
Heavily criticised upon it's release by critics this remains the least sucessful Rush album to date in terms of sales. This is a shame as there is much to commend it. Very much a precuser for the follow up 2112 album side 2 consits of a twenty minute melodic epic called ' The Fountain of Lamneth ' surprisingly my favourite track on the album. Also included are two tracks which should have been singles. ' Bastille Day ' about the French Revolution ' and ' Lake Side Park ' in which Neil Peart reflects on his days as a park attendant. There is one jokey song ' I'm think I'm going bald ' which for me is an ok filler and another epic track called ' The Necromancer '. Covering the popular mythalogy subject matter of the day. Again this is a bit hit and miss for me but it shows how this great band were developing as song writers. Not the easiest place to begin for a new fan, this album, but for an album the critics loved to hate I can't stop playing it. Long live Rush and their music !!

3.0 out of 5 stars Sweet Caress, 19 July 2009
D. LAZAR ""True Believer"" (Birmingham,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
I think it would be fair to say that "Caress Of Steel" isn't vintage Rush, but prehaps it is an important stepping stone in the band's development.This was the album where Rush really became prog and began to expand their sound and the length of their compositions.For me,as well as the opening track "Bastille Day", the songs that make this album worth owning are "The Necromancer" and the 20 minute epic "The Fountain Of Lamneth"."The Necromancer starts off as a dreamy Pink Floyd style piece before launching into a Led Zep style guitar/vocal interchange and then drifts into a very nice,almost pop ending."The Fountain Of Lamneth" is a little taxing but has some excellent ideas and I think this track is kind of a prototype of 2112(released the following year)which I think saw the band execute this idea better.All in all if you're new to Rush then this probably isn't the place to start,but if you are a long-time fan and have just never got round to this album,it's well worth checking out.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Rush effort..still, 14 Oct 2008
Miles (Winthrop, Maine, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
After hearing FBN when it was released and digging on that for awile when COS was released I eagerly scooped it up, put it on the turntable and proceeded to crank up the headphones...It was absolutely One of the most memorable listens to a new release in my entire life...and I have had many! It was the production ot the individual instruments that really caught my ear. Neil wailing away all over the place, Alex going back and forth in my head with that gut wrenching KILLER lead guitar work and Geddy doing my favorite vocals of his ever along with his Wonderful Bass playing. I miss that singing style he had back then. Too bad when guys get older they feel like they have to be more refined or whatever. The live Closer To The Heart just isn't the same without out that "WOA WOA" , I know someone out there know's where I am coming from?

4.0 out of 5 stars Sentimental reasons, 29 Aug 2010
R. Fox - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
I was 13, it was 1983, and I'd discovered hard rock and metal and was vociferously listening to every band I could. Zep, Sabbath, Purple, UFO etc had all been given the once over and then a lad at school did me a tape of Caress of Steel. The stop start riff of Bastille Day caught my attention, the next few kept it then Necromancer came on. I wasn't into prog, and still aren't, so this sort of thing was all new to me but I was hooked. Then The Fountain of Lamneth came on, and took me on a musical journey to a mythical place. Rolling acoustic melodies were suddenly shattered by crushing riffs and I have been a huge Rush fan ever since.

This may not be their best album, but for me it changed my whole view of music. Don't be put off by the prog label, Rush are simply intelligent hard rock with incredible musicianship and endless creativity. One of the all time great rock bands, perhaps the best, and this is an essential part of their cannon.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Small Piece of History, 2 Aug 2004
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
I had the original vinyl recording of COS and this was a replacement to a damaged CD version I had also bought.
Rush's first two albums were very rock-like, but COS marked the band's first foray into conceptual work. As I understand things, their label wasn't too impressed and wanted them to change it, but it has stood the test of time and marks the point where Rush turned from a normal rock band into a unique one.
The opening track Bastille Day was an anthem in its time, with its racing guitar and Rush's favoured stop-time approach back then. The last track on 'side 1' (in vinyl terms) was a mini-story (The Necromancer), with atmospheric sound effects mingling with strong instrumental work.
The remainder of the CD is another - more loosely defined - mini-story. It has a slightly folky feel to it, but shot through with the now-familiar Rush heaviness (though at the time the direction the band would subsequently take was in question).
Listening to any Rush work I find it hard to distinguish between new and old material purely in terms of quality. Rush has always been tight and clinical in their approach to studio albums - but I think COS was probably the one where they put down the rules for all their future work.
Again, this is a part of history, so I would recommend owning COS for that reason alone. Of course, no Rush fan would be without it anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 14 Jan 2012
J. Anthony (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
This is one of THE classic Rush albums, not a bad moment on there. Very highly recommended. Prog rockers never die, we just have to turn up the volume to 12.

3.0 out of 5 stars A stepping stone to 2112, 5 Sep 2010
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
After 2 excellent albums this was a sideways switch that nearly killed the band off,A mis-step? perhaps but it was the catalyst for 2112 and for that we should be grateful

Opening with ,as usual, a killer tune 'Bastille Day' gets the album off to a great start whilst the humourous 'I Think Im Going Bald' contains some sterling guitar playing by Alex Lifeson.I agree with a previous reviewer,'Lakeside Park' should have been a single,a lovely little track that the band hate so much especially Geddy.Next up the 'Necromancer' which is a decent attempt at another 'By Tor' type song ,leaving the the 20 minute epic 'Fountains Of Lamneth' whilst having some redeeming moments,it as the band said in the past lacks cohesion and is is overlong,whilst this is true and it doesnt hold the attention like 2112,in the right mood it can be rewarding,its not a disc most fans will listen to on a regular basis. Not as good as the 2 previous albums but certainly the prelude for 2112. 3.5 stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Album, 4 Sep 2010
S. B. Murphy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress of Steel (Audio CD)
The 3rd Rush Album. Some early classics like Bastille Day. a couple of long tunes too. well worth a listen. A must for any Rush fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good album, but not the best., 22 July 2009
Mr. D. V. Beresford "The Golden Fool" (Chesterfield, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Caress Of Steel (Audio CD)
If you love 2112, Hemispheres etc you will love this album. It's not as good as those that came after it, but that has to be taken in the context of the true classics that Rush produced. There are signs of what is to come but if this is your first dip into the world of Rush get 2112 or one of the Retrospective albums first. If you looking beyond the classics of early Rush then get it and love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 5 July 2014