5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Deluxe Editions ever!
Universal Music have released many 2-CD sets(by many artists) in their "Deluxe Edition" series, and I have most of them in my collection, but none are more impressive than this set, which gives you the original 1967 stereo & mono mixes of "The Who Sell Out", plus a nearly vault-clearing excavation of 27 bonus tracks.

No matter which mix of the album you prefer,...
Published on 27 Mar 2009 by Philip A.Cohen

3.0 out of 5 stars Never understood all the fuss
A useful yardstick with which to measure a record's quality is to compare it's lesser tracks with it's grandstanders. On 'The Who Sell Out' the finest and most original song is, unequivocally, 'I Can See For Miles' and it is in contrast to this monumental track that the rest of the album's merit stands in stark relief - it quite simply overshadows everything else on the...
Published on 18 Mar 2011 by Jay

5.0 out of 5 stars Extras add even more to a Brit-Pop classic., 5 Sep 2008
Ms. Felicia Davis-burden (Staines, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Who album, because it contains a terrific variety of styles and subject matter and a skipful of wit and silliness. The extras add even more of everything. 'Who's Next', 'Quadrophenia' and 'Who By Numbers' are all 'mature' collections of fine material, but 'Who Sell Out' acheives something almost unbelieveable for any 'serious' group: An album listeners can return to like an old pal. This album is flat-out Loveable. By their own admission, the 'Orrible 'Ooo never set out with that in mind! This is a treasure chest. Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Album Ever Made, 8 Dec 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
Genius plain and simple. A variety of styles, a variety of emotions, a unique format and the quality of archive material on the re-released version is amazing. Put in in your CD player, hit the repeat button and leave it running for days...you'll never tire of it. The Who's Sgt Pepper...only better.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best rock pop album I've ever heard, 25 Nov 2004
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
And I've heard a lot! Tracks 1 to 12 represent the original album, the first 2 thirds of which contain jingles (musical adverts) in between tracks in order to mimic a pirate radio station. In fact 3 of the listed songs are adverts as well, heinz baked beans and the hilarious odorono and medac which advertise deodorant and acne cream respectively. This album contains a lot of humour and some of the most beautiful (thats right beautiful) melodies and backing vocals that you will hear on any who album. There's also some innovative guitar work on Sunrise, ballsy psychadelia on armenia and a mini rock opera type song with Rael. I especially like Odorono, Tattoo, Our love was and I cant reach you which marry harmonies with power/passion superbly. Silas has some nice harmonies as well but I find it gets slightly irritating after a while. The organ on Relax adds to the interesting mix on this album although Relax is not one of the stronger tracks. I can see for miles needs no description. That was the original album and in my opinion is better than anything the who, rolling stones, beatles, kinks or anyone else has produced for that matter. I bought this album for the first time 20 years ago and still play it today on a regular basis - its hard to tire of genius!!
That was the original album, a consistently high standard of songwriting and production. As for the bonus tracks (13-21), well they're OK in general but only 2 of them (14 and 15) are sufficiently good enough to warrant their inclusion alongside the original classic album. However to be honest I'd prefer it if the bonus material was not included as, unlike those on the original album, most of the bonus jingles are quite annoying.

5.0 out of 5 stars The who's finest hour!, 16 Feb 2013
J. Di Stefano - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
In my opinion, This is the who in all their creative brilliance, before there was a Tommy. If it wasn't for Sell Out,Tommy would have been a very different piece of work. We can hear pieces of the Underture in Rael, and the Overture from Glow Girl, which was the bands first effort post Sell Out in 1968. Whats great about this piece of work is that it is so much more fun than anything that came afterward, and so much less self indulgent. This came at a time when The Who were a great, young, rowdy, and VERY LOUD rock and roll band. Bands don't make albums like this anymore.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 30 July 2011
Bacchus (Greater London - Surrey) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
The Who has been one of my favourite bands for years. I first came to love their music when they brought out Who Are You in 1978. At the time, they were regarded as a bit "old hat". Strange that people of all generations still listen to The Who.

I was thinking about this record because I have some recent dealings with Rotosound in my job. I can't think of the word Rotosound without hearing the spoof jingle in my head, "Hold your band together with Rotosound Strings" that the group sings on "Sell Out".

Sell Out is a fascinating creation. It is very much of its time, evoking the 1960s with it use of advertising jingles. There is a kind of faux amateurism about this recording which can seem irritating but for me lends it great charm.

But it is the songs that stand out. "I can see for miles" is classic Who. I love "Silas Stingy" with its creepy words and fabulous Mexican style trumpet playing. Every song makes a strong impression.

The album is notable also because it contains the seeds of Tommy. "Rael I and II" and "Glow Girl" contain material that got reused in Tommy. Definitely worth hearing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quintessential Mid - Period Who, 1 April 2006
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
Pete Townshend was always in a class of his own as a lyricist and performer. Never one to jump on the post-Dylan bandwaggon so favoured by most 60's songwriter's, Townshend wrote in a startling style of alienation, rage, paranoia, self-doubt, humour and British-ness all wrapped up in the 3 minute single formula which The Who always embraced and excelled at. The Who Sell Out is Townshend's representation of that innocent period when the pirate radio station was the main and only source of communication for record buying youngsters, hence the album running in a constant flow peppered with humourous jingles and faux advertisements.
The album also pre-dates some of Tommy's theme's and you can hear echoes of that album on Sell Out's "Rael" and "Glow Girl". Teenage theme's, key features of Townshend's mid-60's post-Mod style, of sexual desire "Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand", rebellion "Tattoo" relationship paranoia "I Can See For Miles" and, erm...pimples and body odour problems "Medac" and "Odorono" dominate the album on what was the band's best and strongest album to date.
"Our Love Was", "Relax", "I Can't Reach You" and the beautiful "Sunrise" also deserve honourary mention's as well, and together with the classic tracks mentioned earlier, make The Who Sell Out essential, peerless and perfect.
They may have grew arguably as a band with Tommy, Who's Next and Quadrophenia, but this captured an intriguing chapter in The Who's illustrious career. A masterpiece. Long live The Who!

5.0 out of 5 stars Whonderful!, 22 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
I don't wish to sound nostalgic, although I fondly remember a time when I was, hark back to it often, even, but well do I recall my childhood visits to Discount Records in Keighley, W Yorks, where I would gaze at the cover of this album in something akin to amazement (and this, I should state, a vinyl record cover, rather than CD). That a man should choose to bathe in baked beans seemed impossible to my childish self. And where the dickens had he purchased such a large tin thereof? What must the music contained on such an album be like? What would it do to me? But I couldn't afford it in those days, when music was valued and priced accordingly, when children didn't spend (waste?) all their time on video games and YouTube. It was some years thereafter that I actually managed to scrape the requisite amount together and buy a copy (sadly on CD), in the fair city of York, actually, and I was not disappointed. God only knows what's wrong with Pete Townshend but it certainly works. The combination of Eddie Cochrane guitars and Beach Boy style harmonies is indescribably odd, but I often think to myself, I think, The Who are very possibly equal to The Beatles, in that I mean they never went all girly, sort of thing. Yes, The Beatles had very possibly broken down a few barriers, or so we're led to believe, but did they really need to go nearly so far? Needless to say I lost my original copy and was forced to purchase a replacement on Azamong, but needles to say even without all the evil stuff I used to mess my mind up with back in my barleycorn youth this is still really v. good. 'A Quick One' is slightly better, perhaps, but still, there are many moments of proper true goodness herein. If you can't actually be Mr Benn or Paddington Bear this is possibly the next best thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glorious psychedelia, 17 Jun 2014
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
The Who's 3rd studio album is, quite simply, a thing of beauty. The idea to intersperse the songs with snazzy advertising jingles is inspired; the material itself does not disappoint with Pete Townshend in excellent songwriting form. 'I Can See For Miles' (the only hit single from this collection) is a superbly crafted pop song and there is much more besides in the shape of tracks such as 'Mary Anne with the Shaky Hand, the amusing 'Odorono', 'Tattoo', 'Relax', 'Sunrise' and the interesting closing piece 'Rael (1 and 2)'. Special mention must also go to the photographer who provided the iconic images of the 4 band members on the album cover - step forward David Montgomery. This is an album that all lovers of classic 1960s pop music should have in their collection and so I say "Buy it and reminisce!!".

5.0 out of 5 stars Early Daze, 29 Jan 2014
William J. Fox "KillerBill" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
I always felt it was a shame that the adverts ran out after side one of the vinyl album. I bought an early backtrack version, plain sleeve, budget price, but loved it. There are several early Who classics here including some ideas which later resurfaced as Tommy.

The highlights for me are the opening track, Armenia, City in the Sky,I can See For Miles and the closer, Real 1. An unexpected delight is Sunrise, amazing lyrics, stark arrangement, one of my favourite Who tracks and probably not know by that many. "You take away the breath I was keeping for Sunrise...", a gem.

The extended version I am reviewing includes a comprehensive booklet of notes and photos but I personally feel the bonus tracks are far from essential. They do make the album arguably better value for money but after Real 1 I tend to lose interest. Highly recommended early classic form one of my favourite bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars no sell out this one, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Who Sell Out (Audio CD)
but this as was curious to hear the mono versions of some of the songs was not dissapionted great album and delux version to boot was not sold on the who at first but they grew on me and now i am a great fan of their music