5.0 out of 5 stars A great sounding reissue
Published on 12 Aug 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars great cd poor item
5 stars for the music but I received this in poor shape with cd 5 missing completely - no wonder it was cheap!
Published 10 months ago by Scott Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars A great sounding reissue, 12 Aug 2004
By A Customer
I won't repeat all the lavish praise of previous reviews, but rather emphasize a couple of things. First, the sound quality on this set is *much* better than the previous Polydor (U.S.) individual album masters I own. This really helps recapture the impact of the Jam's crunchy power-trio sound that I remember from the original 45's. Second, a lot of the non-album material that I haven't heard for a while sounds quite good and fresh -- not just "Going Underground" but also singles like "Beat Surrender" that back in the early 80s seemed not quite up to standards.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hours of pleasure., 9 Jun 2005
John A. Quinn "JAQ" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this last year despite owning the original albums and I have to say it was money very well spent. If you are hesitating as I did my advice is just buy it! The sound quality is quite superb, Weller's performances on some of the stuff not previously released are almost faultless - "Stand By Me" is a particular highlight - and this really shows The Jam were so much more than the sum of the parts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge a CD by it's cover, 10 Dec 2002
I felt I had to write a review of this collection after reading one which seemed to put it down simply because of it's presentation - "CD's in paper covers".
This not a collection to view the artwork of the cover but probably the best value for money Jam collection you can and ever will buy.To include all the studio albums,various B-sides and rare unreleased recordings will ensure your money is well spent.
I don't want to harp on about how good and influential the Jam were because it has been said many times before.All I have to say is that if you want The Jam on CD do not pass this by as you will not find a finer collection - ask the bands that have followed them in later years and still appreciate the music they composed - just ask Noel Gallagher.
The music speaks louder than anything in black and white - not everything in paper is plain and not to be heard or seen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Legendary, 18 Sep 2003
If you are a fan of Punk, Mod, Soul, Motown then this is the collection for you. This box set of nearly EVERYTHING the Jam has ever produced is the legacy of all legacies. Different versions of classic tunes such as 'Thats Entertainment' and 'Smithers-Jones', make owning these 5 cd's a must to the fan.
Paul Weller, master song writer, and considered one of the most influential musicians who inspired Oasis and Ocean Colour Scene, took care in those songs he didnt release and produced as B-sides...probably why Noel Gallagher follows suite, and as so many of these tunes are those that were B-sides or unreleased, you are guaranteed quality from this box set.
I love the Jam, and when i discovered that this selection was available, i bought it without second thought. Even owning several albums, there are still 50+ tracks i wouldnt have heard anywhere else, so its damn well worth a buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally essential, 23 Feb 2004
Ec Tipton "donkey_sandwich" (Hereford, England) - See all my reviews
This box set simply can't fail, a collection of (so very nearly)everything that this fantastic band recorded in the studio. The sound quality is superb, the packaging is very nice, and the musical content is mind-blowing. Whether you're an avid fan or a casual fan you'll find this set addictive.
The only gripes I have with it is that due to it's 'no-live-tracks' policy, the b-sides of 'The Modern World' single are missing. Similarly, the single versions of 'Start!' and 'Precious' aren't here.
Other than that, if you buy this and 'Extras' you will have basically everything the Jam recorded in the studio, and at a good price too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible, 8 Aug 2003
Kev G - The Mod. (Stevenage, Hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A Bible of songs to any Jam/Weller fan. Throw ALL your other CD's away, and replace them all with this.
It's all you'll ever need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty definitive box set., 5 Sep 2011
David B (West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
I was not a big fan of the jam in the eighties when they were together, but I subsequently bought the compilation album Snap! which I absolutely loved and almost wore the cd out, I wish I had appreciated them earlier. However, I either lost it or gave it away, and a few months ago wanted to go and buy it again. I decided to go for this box set instead. There of course is alot of material I haven't heard before, but of the songs I already know, they sound great, and sometimes the version or mix is refreshingly different or extended in some way, which makes it even more enjoyable.
I would recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars total joy, 24 Aug 2011
bought as a gift, recipient absolutely loved it, all the songs plus extra, good value for money, delivered quickly, a must for all jam fans

5.0 out of 5 stars Tunes, 2 May 2011
A. J. Barringer "Bazil" (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic catalogue of tunes. I remember The Jam as the best Band of the punk new wave era and this is collection brings it all back. I have most of these songs on vinyl but no longer have a record deck and haven't heard a lot of them for years. tracks like girl on phone and just who is 5 o'clock hero, brilliant but little known. What a shame they split up when they were in their prime.

5.0 out of 5 stars This CD is a gift for life if you are a JAM/weller fan, 2 Aug 2000
By A Customer
Quite literally one of the best compilations ever. This probably dosnt do enough justice to a band who were an inspirition to Oasis type bands who were overly prominent in the ninetys but this aside it is a must for all jam fans