‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Metallica must have been spitting bullets........, 22 Jan. 2006
J. Stuart Myles "jacktastic" (Swansea, Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
Somewhere roundabout 1994 I walked into HMV with the sole purpose of buying Metallica's Black album. I was pleasantly surprised to see said disc was part of a '2 for £22' offer, so I did the sensible thing and scouted round the store seeking a CD to partner it.

I considered AC/DC and The Who amongst others before spotting Troublegum. I'd heard a couple of singles off the album and thought it was worth a go, after all it was only a booby prize - the Black album was what I was really after.

Got home and played Metallica straight away. Now I'm probably in a minority here, and millions of Metallica fans will think I'm barking mad, but some of those songs just didn't know when to stop. Enter Sandman and Sad But True aside, I found the album ...well, boring.

So with my high expectations comprehensively deflated, I dismissively, if not resentfully, spun Troublegum on the ghettoblaster instead. And that's when my day took a turn for the better.

Without a word of a lie I spent the next three quarters of an hour of my life air guitaring, air drumming, headbanging and making devil's-horn-hand-signals to an imaginary band in my flat.

Forty five minutes and fourteen songs later, the crushing disappointment of the Black album had been erased and replaced by the redhot glow of smug satisfaction that envelops you when you discover something fantastic of which your mates know absolutely nothing.

Three Irish lads venting their anti-catholic wrath, purging themselves of failed attempts with women or just self-loathing for not having the guts to ask them out in the first place. Every line of every song is a vitriolic stab into the heart of each song's victim.

Andy Cairns growls his way through this CD with remarkable and beautiful melodies delivered with a velvet sledgehammer. This record crosses through pop, punk, heavy metal and back again effortlessly. The production is faultless and each bandmember's performance is immaculate. There isn't a single filler track on this album, the 'worst' song weighs in at nine-out-of-ten.

My writing can't fully describe the glory of Troublegum. This record silences Metallica's finest hour. Maybe that's the greatest tribute I can give to Troublegum, and Metallica must have been spitting bullets when they heard it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic!, 28 Jan. 2001
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
Troublegum is an often overlooked classic from the book of British Rock. It opens with the thundering "Knives" which sets the tone for the album with its stop-start riff and screaming vocals. Other highlights include the undoubted anthem "Nowhere", the eternal crowd pleaser "Die Laughing" and the riff-tastic "Isolation". The album has a characteristic sound with its buzzsaw guitars and Andy Cairns desolate lyrics. If you are looking for a starting point for Therapy? this is it. It is hooky enough to be instantly likeable and yet raw enough to reflect Therapy? of old and their storming live show. Five stars is not enough!!

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Pop Punk Classic!, 11 Mar. 2008
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
1994 - Ah! Them were the days kids. Long hair, long lie ins and skipping lectures to go to the pub!
2008 - Mortgage, 2 kids, no hair and a Job.
Times change kids, but one thing hasn't! Troublegum still blows me away to this day!!!! It's gotta be in my all time top 5 (Metallica - Master Of Puppets, Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast, Slayer - Reign In Blood, and AC/DC - Back In Black taking up the other 4 places in no particular order).
Straight in with no kissing - The crunching riff of KNIVES grabs you by the proverbials, and off we go on this awesome rollercoaster of an album. The perfect pop punk of SCREAMAGER follows, with that Beavis & Butthead main riff, and a chorus that Green Day would kill for. Other highlights include the pop metal of NOWHERE, the bruising down tuned darkness of UNBELIEVER, the crushing TRIGGER INSIDE, DIE LAUGHING and FEMTEX, the twisted, dark cello driven UNREQUITED (a song that gave us a hint as to Therapy?s follow up - Infernal Love) and of course the grand finale of BRAINSAW.
This is an album full of classics, and many of the tracks still feature in Therapy?s live set to this day. BUY OR DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe how under rated this album is!, 10 Nov. 1999
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
Without doubt the best British album of the 1990s - Troublegum reminds me of Nirvana's Nevermind in the synergy and energy. One of the few CD's you can listen to in one sitting without skipping a track. Knives is the best opening the album could have had and Trigger Inside is the song that made me interested in Therapy? back in 1994. It's 1999 and Therapy? are still plugging away without recogition with the raw 'Suicide Pact...You First'.
If you are new to Therapy? buy Troublegum first then Semi-Detached before considering the others. Internal Love is self-indulent and my least favourite yet still contains a batch of quality songs. If you like Nirvana, Wildhearts and a more alternative Metallica - Therapy? are for you. If not why are you reading this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back in Trouble again!, 23 May 2014
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
It feels great to blast my walls, head and hair again with the awesome Troublegum! And this time, it's on full overdrive.

The remastering work is fantastic. Monstrously loud, thick and clear. It's a very exciting experience to relive the album on this new edition.

Back in 1993, these guys were climbing to the top of the charts with Teethgrinder and Screamager. But no one knew where they were headed next year, with the follow up to Nurse, their debut album. The first single, Nowhere, became an instant classic, when it hit the charts in early 1994. It was clear to me that teen angst was to be the fuel to one of the most brilliant rock records of the 1990s. And that was exactly what hit so many teenagers, like me, in the head! We could relate to so many of these lyrics. I bet a lot of teenagers today can too. That's why I keep recommending this album to everyone, especially young rock'n'rollers.

This album can change your view on rock music and teen troublegums. You have been warned. :)

This Deluxe Edition is a killer release. There are 2 extra CDs, filled with great b-sides and remixes. For anyone who's interested in great rock music, with a punk/metal twist, you have to have this record. If you want it on CD, then get this release. Absolutely fan-freakin'-tastic! I'm sure the band is very proud to have this edition to show you guys how much they rocked back in the day.

There's also some extra juice for hardcore fans, like me: the last four tracks on CD3. Those are demos, previously unreleased. As far as I'm concerned, that's the kind of extra that makes this collection a 5+ star item. I loved those demos. They're an absolute proof of how much Therapy? rocked and still rock and will continue to rock, always blessed with impressive creativity.

All in all, there's no other sound on any album, from anyone, anywhere, like these guys achieved on Troublegum. It's unique in every way, as the band never cloned their own records. Remarkable work, sold over a million copies and this 3CD Deluxe Edition is a must-have for rockers everywhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album by Therapy?... in the world ever!, 8 Mar. 2000
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
One of the greatest albums ever recorded and in my top ten of all time. this is the sort of record that has to be listened to over and over again it is that good. the best punk album with a heavy dose of pop sesibility since a man called Kurt recorded something named Nevermind. Yeah its that good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Deluxe Edition of a beast of an album., 24 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
One of my favourite albums of all time. Ah Troublegum. You BEAST of an album. I've had a copy of the original album since it first landed back in the mid nineties, just picked up the Deluxe Edition and I'm very glad I did.

The first CD in this collection is the original album. I'm not surei if it's a remaster or not but it sounds pretty crystal clear to me. This is just a flawless album from start to finish. From the ultra scary, twisted Knives, the rock classics Nowhere and Screamager (two of the catchiest melodic rock songs ever produced) The sublime 'Stop it you're killing me'. The twisted genius of Lunacy Booth. The inspired derranged chorus of Femtex. Trigger Inside....Isolation..... pop punk, goth, jarring metal, it's all here. The album sold millions. It fully deserved to shift every copy.

Please do yourself a favour and listen to this album. It's majestic.

The second and third discs of the deluxe edition hide some real goodies too. Too many gems to pick out. Always had a soft spot for Evil Elvis (the lost demo) the inspired cover of Judas Priest's Breaking the Law, the madness of C.C Rider. There's a ton of clubby remixes of Troublegum songs. Live tracks. Strange oddities. Tracks for the shortsharpshock E.P. Demo tracks. It's a great big package of win wrapped up in a ribbon of stonking.

There's also a nice little booklet with lots of interesting factoids and band shots for the completists. There are many worse things you could do than pick up a copy of this album right now. This is the best release of one of the best albums I've ever heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars What can you say?, 15 Nov. 2000
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
Wow! I was blown away by this recording! It should seriously recommended to anyone at all interested in rock music. Included in there are some classic rock tracks, such as screamager, nowhere and turn, that are guaranteed to while away many an hour. Troublegum is a much more mature sound than the previous album, Nurse. Every track in Toublegum is individually brilliant. If you like Therapy?, you'll love this. If you've not heard Therapy?, buy this! Basically, this albumn cannot be rated highly enough!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 90s Classic, 4 May 2012
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
I'd forgotten how good this album was until I recently had to re-stock my iTunes catalogue. And it really is a classic. Pretty much everything on here's a 3 minute-something song and it's such a tight, punchy album you won't get bored of it.
I remember going to see Therapy? live in Cardiff while they were touring this album and I think the evening's compere, one Steve Lamacq, said it all: 'I stopped falling in love with bands until I fell in love with this one. Will you please welcome the punk/rock/metal legend that is Therapy?'.
They've done some self-indulgent stuff over the years, and dodged the big-time deliberately (we're told), but Therapy? really are a great little* band. Whilst this is definitely the best album they've released yet I'd recommend you look at some of their other albums too - 'So much for the ten year plan' is a great starting point. Have fun!

*Not being derogatory, but they're not U2-sized. Not enough effects pedals.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best Alternative Rock Albums Ever!, 7 April 2011
This review is from: Troublegum (Audio CD)
Troublegum hit the UK when I was at university.

At first it made little impact on the rock clubs, but gradually the sheer brilliance of an album without a bad song and fully 75% sheer genius smacked into everyones heads.

At a time when Nirvana and Metallica were ruling the airwaves Troublegum came from nowhere and launched the band onto the world wide stage.

Therapy? Never really made it huge since then, but have never stopped touring and releasing albums. I see Therapy? live as often as possible as they are brilliant live.

Although lots of albums after this were as good, troublegum will always have a special place in my heart as the first album that took me away from mainstream rock and showed me an alternative side to music.

Brilliant. Anyone with any metal/rock bone in there body should have a copy. And if you have never seen Therapy? live do so and the back catalogue of 10+ albums awaits you.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›