5.0 out of 5 stars A really great album!
Beggar on a beach of Gold is, in my opinion, Mike and the Mechanics' greatest achievement. It's thought provoking, powerful and moving and the last four songs especially are really beautiful. If you're a M+TM fan or even if you're just curious about M+TM and want to hear some of their music this CD is well worth owning.
Published on 3 Jan. 2010 by Greg Boyd

3.0 out of 5 stars average
"Beggar On A Beach Of Gold" was the last original album that Mike & The Mechanics released (and this was back in 1995), although the band have released a greatest hits album since. You would think that this brilliant band are due for a new release any time soon, especially since Tony Banks has stated that Genesis may have released their last album and this would free...
Published on 18 Oct. 2000

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A really great album!, 3 Jan. 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful!...., 3 May 2006
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent album in every sense.Beautiful instrumentation combined with the vocal talents of Paul Carrack and the late Paul Young make this a real knockout.Mike Rutherford more than does his share with his songwriting ability and guitar playing.

Favourite tracks for me are the well known 'Over My Shoulder' and the beautiful 'Someone Always Hates Someone'.That said there isn't a weak track on the album, special mention though of the rocking 'Web Of Lies'.Altogether a superb album...if you like Mike&Mechanics at all..buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike & The Mechanics at Their Best!, 7 July 2009
N. French (East Sussex) - See all my reviews
I had this on cassette single back in the mid nineties. I played it so much that it wore out! To my amazement, I found the CD single on Amazon recently, which I subsequently purchased. There are three tracks on this single, all of which are as strong as each other and all could have been singles in their own right. I wouldn't say I was necessarily a fan of M&TM, it is just that these songs are timeless and sound as fresh now, as they did back in 1995. This is Mike & The Mechanics at their creative peak.

4.0 out of 5 stars Well worth a listen - and possibly their best, 10 Jan. 2012
And I disagree with the "cover" review - about cover versions. I prefer their "I believe" to Mr G's so there!
Recommended. You will play this more than once - which I for one cant say from the majority of my record collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars It grows on you, 20 May 2013
I waited a while before rating this. Having read other reviews and having all the earlier Mike + Mechanics Cds I thought I would see if things had suffered a down-turn. Whilst on some tracks there is a different approach - it is refreshing. But the links are thereto the old Cds - and thats good . Mea Culpa really grows on you and some of the lyrics and the interaction with the music is very good - very complimentary. I would recommend this if you dont have it in the collection. It is really good and you cant go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but goodie, 6 Mar. 2014
I had this album on cassette in the olden days and was listening to something on the radio which sparked a memory and decided I needed to have a new copy. It is a brilliant cd with a great selection of tracks, all of which offer something different. Beggar on a Beach of Gold is quite uplifting, as it Over my Shoulder. There are some tracks, such as The Ghost of Sex and You which are quite haunting.

I loved Genesis in the early days and I love Mike Rutherford now. Highly recommended album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fab Album, 29 May 2014
DEBORAH (SUTTON COLDFIELD, WEST MIDLANDS United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Fab album , and a fab voice ...could listen to it for hours and i probably will lol
love him

5.0 out of 5 stars A great value cd, 1 April 2015
A lovely selection of moody, thoughtful songs, especially the title track - this is on constant play in the car - Another Cup of Coffee also great; Mike Rutherford can certainly serve up a great composition.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic, 3 April 2014
Bought this simply to replace copy I lost. Saw the band live last month when they played some of the tracks on this album. Not a bad track on it. A must for every Mike & Mechanics fan.

4.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 21 Jun. 2014
love paul carrack and the late paul young(no not that paul young)great music cd to sing along to .some really fantastic tracks to listen to on this cd.well worth the money.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›