5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, again.
Sigur Rós changed my life. No other artist has ever meant so much to me, except for maybe Neil Young.

For me, their music has such a universal aura to it; evoking strong feelings of love, sadness, regret, joy. Everything. The emotion and beauty conveyed is just so pure and so true that it becomes much more affecting than the majority of music out...
Published on 8 Feb 2010 by Timmy

2.0 out of 5 stars Sigur Ros
Not my bag I'm afraid. Decent enough soundscape but the singer's voice is very grating. Perhaps I need to give it some more plays and it might grow on me. Certainly they hve been give plenty popular aclaim.
Published 20 months ago by Troy Morgan

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Art at its highest form, 4 Nov 2007
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
I have listened to Sigur Ros since buying Agætis Byrjun back in 1998 and their music has accompanied the last 9 years of my life. I have worked as a classical musician for several years and love many different forms of music. Sigur Ros have managed to surpass anything that I have ever heard in my 37 years of life on this earth. They reaffirm my belief in human ingenuity and they seem to have accomplished what I feared we would never get to experience in my lifetime - they have reinvented music. And they have done so in such a subtle and extraordinary way that it seems almost like some form of tragic joke. Their artistry encapsulates life in all of it's myriad shades - from soaring pinnacles right down to the grating, painful dreariness. Sigur Ros have quite literally set me free - their music gives everything meaning and makes everthing meaningless all at the same time. There is nothing more to say....

5.0 out of 5 stars ...beautiful and upbeat..., 2 Jan 2006
Monkey (Gateshead, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
...Having been a fan of their Sigur Rós for while, I can say this is umistakenably Sigur Rós, albeit in more upbeat package. A far contrast to the dark drones 2002's (), an album without any titles, and overal feel of emotional emptiness, it even contains a track with a real "oompa" brass band towards the end of the third track "Með blóðnasir". Overall its a warmer take on there signature sound, a more innocent almost a happy child feel. That's not say it doesn't soar, their music is atmospheric and as powerful as ever. The tracks fade into each other as harmoniously, and for the most part its an enjoyable, altho the rather lacklustre "Milano" does overstay its welcome a bit too long. For many, while this may be still stretch, this is by far Sigur Rós' most accessible record.

Highlights...

Glósóli - Track 2

Hoppípolla - Track 3

Sæglópur - Track 5

5.0 out of 5 stars Just don't try to sing along to this in the car..., 12 May 2006
B. Abraham - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Christmas 2005, I opened my brother's present. This album came out. I was dissapointed to say the least. I was expecting Gorillaz, or maybe something a little more upbeat. I played it once, I liked it. I played it twice, I fell in love with it.

Sigur Ros don't make albums, I have decided, having bought their other album. They make epiphanies. Thats what I decided from early on. Each song made you love life again, and you can sing to it to, and you don't know, or even care what you are saying after a while.

Hoppipolla is an obvious favorite, and hearing it as the Planet Earth sound track brought joy to my heart, as I knew people would give Sigur Ros a chance if it was on TV. Milano is my personal favorite, a beautiful melody throughout, flawless in my eyes. Heysatan, Hoppipolla, and Meo Bledonasir ('scuze the spelling mistakes) are among my absolute favorites.

If you want nice songs, this is your album. You may end up skipping a few tracks. It simply shows you life, then takes it away in one album. One listen of this album, and you are lost forever, to a world where living is all part of music.

All in all, this album got me into Sigur Ros, and proved people in my school that they weren't that bad. When I first played the album in January to people in the common room, I was laughed at, but now everyone likes it. It's weird how I saw it coming a mile off, even if I was a little late myself to jump on the Sigur Ros bandwagon.

Please, just buy it, you will not regret it, but you may lose hours of your life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful Icelandic music, 8 Sep 2008
Martin Belcher (Hampshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
It was not my original intention to buy this album as I was searching the internet to find out where I could buy a copy of that wonderful piece of music used on the Planet Earth series on BBC One.

Having discovered that the theme is called Hoppipolla by an Icelandic male group called Sigur Ros, I looked them up on Amazon and found their album Takk after reading much of the positive feedback I purchased a copy.

Well I'm absolutely amazed at the original sound from this group, the music is very different and I find it easier to listen with headphones and you then get the full beauty of the sound. Obviously you get the full version of Hoppipolla which never fails to move me to tears. But the rest of the album is outstanding and definitely makes you think of icelandic volcanoes and amazing frozen scenery. A simply wonderful album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleanses the soul..expands the mind!, 9 April 2006
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Hopelandic, Icelandic it makes no difference..the music is quite simply stunning. "Hoppipolla" (or "Jumpin/Hoppin in Puddles" as is translated) is only one of many reasons i have fallen totally in love with Sigur Ros. The pace and mood of Takk flows so elequently it will almost certainly raise a few hairs or bring a tear to the eye, such is the effect of their music. Previous albums have shown that this group are not only consistently beautiful but also progressively magical. Natural beauty (in the realm of music) is a rare and precious thing..lets hope its looked after with due care. For it is hope, that this Icelandic group brings not just to music, but more importantly, brings to life.
Takk...Sigur Ros :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful, intimate, haunting and uplifting album., 17 Sep 2005
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
I like albums that seem to suggest their own unique little universe, where the sound, style and overall presentation offer us a window into said universe, and a clue to further understanding the themes and motifs featured therein. Now, this may sound a little over-emotive to some, but I feel that Sigur Ros, with their strange soundscapes and beguiling use of instrumentation, really invite such reactions, with previous albums like Von and Agaetis Byrjun showing them to be one of the most unique, distinctive and imaginative bands currently at work.
Takk is no exception... continuing the sound of their second and third albums to create a musical amalgamation, meaning that the sound of Takk is both fragile and abrasive, with the songs continually shifting tempo and momentum to go from delicate ambience to epic, heart-breaking noise, and then back again. It's a strange album even by the band's previous standards, featuring a sound that is much more minimal and restrained than 2003's "brackets" album, with the more rock-like songs that made up the second half of that great work really being relegated in favour of more obscure sounds; with electronic pulses, blips and synthetic strings taking over from the distorted guitar noise and nonsense harmonies. Of course, the vocals will still be nonsense to those of us that don't speak Icelandic... though, it must be said that as with their last album, we still get the emotional intention of the songs through the evocative use of instrumentation, and the raw vocal power of lead-singer Jonsi.
As with Agaetis Byrjun and "brackets", Takk is an album best listened to from beginning to end, as ultimately, all the songs end up blurring into one another and thus, creating one long and lovely piece of work that moves forward and progresses naturally. Opening with the title track; an extended piece of atmospherics that blurs seamlessly into the lulled and intoxicating Glosoli - a song that couples a gentle music-box melody with sound effects that seem to suggest heavy boots marching on cobbles, as those angelic vocals croon ambient choral noise throughout - this could (and should) be seen as the next logical step forward for a band that have already pushed the musical limitations to breaking point. The album is continually interesting, especially when some of the songs end up incorporating pop-melodies and more melodic ideas, like those fantastic horn arrangements towards the end of Se Lest, or the orchestration that pops up throughout.
Saeglopur is one of the most stunning pieces of music that the band has ever created... beginning with some delicate piano and a cacophony of different processed vocal harmonies, it eventually metamorphoses into something much more volatile, with immense percussion and a wall of distorted guitars blazing away, as the lulled vocals continue without change. In terms of the overall mood and atmosphere that is created by the unexpected shifts in tempo, as the song once again breaks down into something more ambient towards the end, is easily on a par with the last two albums released by British band Talk Talk, principally speaking, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. It also reminds me of the last two Björk albums, Vespertine and Medulla, with many of the songs here, particularly that Eno-esque opening track, sounding like the missing instrumental takes of the largely a-capella Medulla (songs like Volkuro and Show Me Forgiveness really wouldn't sound out of place here), whilst it also brings to mind the more minimal moments of Radiohead's Kid A and Amnesiac records.
Track seven, Milano, has a similar structure to the song that came before, beginning with a gentle melody bolstered by the ambient-lite production, before the whole thing takes off into a more epic phase... only to pull back again towards the end for the lengthy and almost instrumental coda, which again takes off into the same epic territory moments before the song slows down to a close for the real climax. There's no 'half album quite/half album loud' concept here, the songs mutate from minute to minute, incorporating a variety of different musical textures that cover everything from rock, to jazz and classical, with hints of ambient-electronic music making itself known in the production and overall atmospherics, whilst you can even finds elements of world music, orchestral music and gospel. Gong is another highlight; a song that pushes the Talk Talk/Radiohead influence to it's fullest, whilst also building on the sound of the Sigur Ros albums that came before. There's an obvious jazz-influence in the use of percussion, which juxtaposes nicely with the subtle use of strings, the sweeping vocals and the great use of guitar.
The closing run of songs is great, continuing the sound of the preceding tracks and establishing a sound that is cohesive and continually interesting, with each song merging into the next, bringing to mind the sound and overall sense of emotional transcendence of their last album, which is still my favourite, despite both Agaetis Byrjun and this coming exceedingly close. The final song, Heysatan is transcendent beauty at it's most intoxicating, bringing this strange and beautiful little album to a close perfectly and, perhaps, pointing it's way forward to a new phase in the career of Sigur Ros.

5.0 out of 5 stars Takk..., 9 May 2013
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Takk is Sigur Ros' 4th album and for me (so far) it is their finest. From the shimmering intro 'Takk' to the monumental 'Svo Hljott' this album is relentlessly beautiful.

There are significant nods to previous albums, 'Andvari' sounds most like Agaetis Byrjun and 'Hey Satan' could easily sit alongside the tracks on ().

But there are tracks here that pull this album head and shoulders above their previous work. Songs like 'Saeglopur', 'Hoppipolla', 'Glosoli' and 'Gong'. These songs make the album ebb and flow which makes Takk, when listened to in entirety a truly moving experience and pushes this work into the upper echelons of musical works this century.

I've mentioned them before RE Sigur Ros, but you should check out a band called Takeda too. Their songs 'Dusk Raga' & 'Reverence' are worth a listen if you like this album. Google 'Takeda Hufsa'

5.0 out of 5 stars The Album Of The Year, 9 Dec 2009
Mr. M. A. Reed (Argleton, GB) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
the moment where Sigur Ros' otherworldly noise hit unforgettable choruses, Takk ... is a uncompromising record with few concessions to conventional song structure or words and creates a world beyond words where sound is a painkiller that takes reality away.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart-rendingly, achingly beautiful melody, 16 April 2006
TMathews (South West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
One arctic night under the Northern Lights, Mercury Rev, The Cocteau Twins, Muse and Grandaddy communed. The issue is a baby called Sigur Ros whose cries in the wee small hours are diamond teardrops from some Valahalla glacier. A truly outstanding and original work of art with a nod to many bands where soaring melody and stunning counterpoint matter. No matter that I don't understand Icelandic - Elisabeth Fraser's lyrics are impenetrable but beautiful nonetheless because they work with the music. SR play with words and melody and write some of the most gorgeous music out there. Takk.

5.0 out of 5 stars It took me a while but ......, 6 Jan 2006
By A Customer
This review is from: Takk... (Audio CD)
Before I get into this let me state upfront that Sigur Ros' 2nd album, 'Agaetis Bryjun' is the greatest album I've ever heard. Their 3rd, '( )', was simply very good, and I was hugely excited about the release of this, 'Takk', their 4th.
I bought it on day of release and whizzed straight through it 3 times. Whilst not leaving me cold it didn't soar anywhere near as high as 'Agaetis Bryjun' has done from its very first listen.
However, my opinion has changed.
Their gig on 9th November 2005 @ Brixton Academy was spellbinding. I'd seen them before, several times, but this was the first time I'd heard them do all the 'Takk' material live. The gig left me almost speechless. Since then the album has become a different thing - it is magnificent. By the time I see them again in March 2006 I expect this album to rank up alongside 'Agaetis'.
If you're reading this and wondering, then let me encourage you to take the plunge. If you have some of their other material then 'Takk' is a more than worthy addition to what is becoming a magnificent body of work. If you've never heard them before then it's a sublime introduction to the aural fantasy land of Sigur Ros. In fact, if you've never heard them before I envy you - simply because of the joy of the discovery when you hear them for the fist time.
BUY IT.