4.0 out of 5 stars As good as you'd expect (but perhaps no better...)
This album is definitely worth a listen - whether you are an avid Snow Patrol fan or just like their latest single, Take Back the City.

Published on 5 Nov. 2008 by Lisa

2.0 out of 5 stars Snow patrol
A Hundred Million Suns
Having listened to the new awaited album a few times, Im not as into this one as I would hope to be. Love Lifeboats though.
It ia a mediocre album from the boys - whereas Eyes Open had a fair few good tracks, this albumn has about 3 at best.
I am quite dissapointed really..................
Published on 5 Nov. 2008 by Mrs. V. A. Meeds

4.0 out of 5 stars As good as you'd expect (but perhaps no better...), 5 Nov. 2008
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)

There are a few songs that really stand out (Lifeboats, Golden Floor and The Planets Bend Between Us are my personal favs - the last being the one I would predict for their next single released) but the rest will undoubtably grow on me, as I found with the Eyes Open album.

I did wonder if they would move away from the "safe" formula that they perfected with Eyes Open to try something totally different but even with that not really being the case, the album is still very good in it's own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars I really can't praise this highly enough., 9 Feb. 2009
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
I found with Final Straw and with Eyes Open that I liked only a couple of songs immediately. The rest grew on me as I continued to listen, until I wondered how I could ever have not liked them. Perhaps because it's Snow Patrol that really got me into the alternative rock genre and my taste in music has changed a lot since I first heard their previous albums, I found that I loved A Hundred Million Suns much more quickly than I did the previous two. I was a little nervous about getting this, because rarely have I encountered a band that hasn't peaked long before they produced their fifth album, but alternatively, the reason I adored this immediately may just be that they keep getting better and better.

There were still tracks that stood out to me - the uplifting Crack the Shutters, the dreamy Lifeboats and my personal favourite, The Golden Floor, which I find I just have to tap my fingers along with - but every track on this album is wonderful, with the thoughtful lyrics and the beautiful composition which I have come to expect from them. At the same time, though, it's not too reminiscent of anything they've done before. I would thoroughly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great evolution, 7 Dec. 2008
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
My first "contact" with SP was "Eyes open": I inmediately loved the album, as it pushed me to buy the previuos ones. I must confess that the two first collections were not of my taste, except for a very few songs, but "Final straw" finally threw me to the Patrol's feet and songs like "Chocolate", "Run", "How to be dead", "Spitting Games or "Somewhere a clock is ticking" became a part of my being. This last "One hundred million suns" is as good as the previous two and even better, at least for me; I find a good bunch of great songs all along the set, most of them being better than the hit single "Take back the city": "Crack the shutters" recovers the spirit of my personal fav of all SP songs, "Chocolate", I trace influences of U2 and Coldplay in several tracks, like "Engines" or "If there's a rocket...", also love "Please just take...", "Disaster button" or the first and the final parts of "The lightning strike", the rest of tracks keep a very good level. I've listened to the album many many times, and each time I find new things that make me love it deeper and deeper, specially "If there's a rocket tie me to it": it must be the next single.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ears Open., 26 Oct. 2008
Mr. D. J. Brindle (Prestwick, Scotland.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
I don't really wish to dwell on the other reviews here. I've heard the album so I feel some of you might like an actual review of it....

Firstly, I'm not a massive Snow Patrol fan. I've liked the odd track in the past, An Olive Grove Facing the Sea and Off/On being notable examples, but generally speaking I've found their stuff a little too lightweight to enjoy - especially live where Lightbody really struggles voice-wise.

So when the promo of this album plonked into my lap at long last I listened with a pretty impartial ear. And I liked what I heard. Even though it's without doubt Snow Patrol by numbers....

It's clear that the band are aiming for a Coldplay-esque stadium World attack with this album. The first track "If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It" starts as the album goes on and in exactly that fashion. Tuneful plink-plink intro, followed by a heartfelt, delicate Lightbody vocal all about missing his ex-bird before opening up into a huge indie stadium-rock shaped hug. Awww bless.

"Crack The Shutters" follows the same pattern really, with SP sounding more like Chris Martin's bunch with every fretful bash on the piano during the track. Think a more tuneful, less guilty "Chocolate" from Final Straw and you'd be along the same lines. "Crack the shutters open wide/I wanna bathe you in the light of day" says Gary. Again, the stadium swoons.

"Take Back The City" is the oft FM-played lead single, so we all know what Gary's paen to Belfast sounds like by now. Tightly strummed guitars, a bit of woooo o and the story of a city that exists against all odds in many ways. It's clear the bad are proud of where they're from, at least in terms of their Irish roots anyway.

"Lifeboats" is a mellow, groovy track, based around a simple piano and guitar chord structure which opens into a funky basslined story of a relationship set against stormy skies and starry skies.

"The Golden Floor" with it's quirky handclap percussive line shares a great deal with the last track, and once again we're into Snow Patrol by numbers territory. Lightbody sings "I'm not afraid of anything/Even time" over the softly strummed guitar and light handclaps yet sings like he's possibly scared of the sound of his own voice. The track ends with a lush acoustic guitar refrain that ties things up nicely.

"Please Just Take These Photos From My Hands" features those tightly strummed guitars again, except this time their amped up and the knobs are turned up to 6! At least! This track has a massive chorus that's sure to see the live gig going throngs bopping up and down. It gives the track a feel good factor perhaps not best befitting the yet-another-failed-relationship nature of the lyrics.

"Set Down Your Glass" sounds like Snow Patrol of old. It's pastoral, it's acoustic, it's simple and it's honest. It's almost a follow up to "Olive Grove..." with it's chorus of :

"And I'm shaking then I'm still
When your eyes meet mine
I lose simple skills
Like to tell you all I want is now"

Another Coldplay-esque track follows in the shape of "The Planets Bend Between Us" a track that sounds a little mournful but actually is incredibly uplifting lyrically :

"I will race you to the waterside
And from the edge of Ireland shout out loud
So they could hear it in a America
It's all for you"

Perhaps Mr Lightbody has found happiness at last? The track has a simple piano, bass and drum backline with some of those chiming guitars that uptight white indie boys love so much these days. There's no huge climax. Just a band pouring out their hearts, or so it sounds. Expect it to punch your heart out when you least expect it through an FM station near you soon.

"Engines" thunders it's was along in a bassy, widescreen way before it blossoms into a chiming anthem for the lost. Quite beautiful really. All that techno sample from the first minute or so transforms from rainclouds musically, into a sunny day. Something the Snowies do so well I think. And a definite little niche they've carved for themselves.

"Disaster Button" sounds like every track you hated by US college boy frat bands. Best leave it there I think. The weakest point on the album I think. But another Snow Patrol big chorus, sure to please new fans.

The album closes with, as you've probably read already, somewhat of a departure for the band in the shape of a brave three song-spliced-together orchestral masterpiece entitled "The Lightening Strike". Part 1 of this piece sounds like A Frames track; menacing, crescendoing, orchestral, dark and worried....dare I even chuck in a Beatles reference here? Think the end bit to "A Day In The Life" and you won't go far wrong, especially not in the sampling work. The Beatles thing continues in the middle section, with a backwards percussive line a jarring guitar track. The song ends with an expansive, stadium friendly rock out where it all comes good in the end, replete with guitars, rolling chorus and lots of chiming and stuff.

To summarise then, a good album and one that'll surely please the old SP fans who enjoyed the bands' more commercial offerings, and will excite to the point of rapture new fans who love huge choruses, lyrics about being rubbish with girls, staring at the stars thinking how unimportant we all are and plenty of stadium friendly chiming guitars with the odd dashing of a choir and a string section thrown in. This album is full of them. And I suspect they'll soon be up there in the musical heavens on both sides of the Atlantic, with those very same stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Lightning Strike, 17 Mar. 2009
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
I'm actually suprised this wasn't the title of the album - maybe another artist had a copyright on it? But this is the title of the epic 16minute song in 3 parts that ends the album (I just saw them live at the O2 and this song is played as the encore in its entirity!). Although it sounds very different the idea/theme and scope reminds me of the Dark Side of the Moon in that it and the beatiful video that played behind them has a common theme (stars, sunlight, the earth - just no Moon!).
I really hope they release part 3 of this song as a single - with parts 1-3 as a "B Side" - and then stick the video out on DVD single too :)
What's weird is that being at the end of the CD it would normally get the least play time - but having seen it live it's rocketed to become my favourite track.
Golden Floor is probably my 2nd favourite... it has a haunting vocal that is just beautiful. The others (the singles) would then complete my list of other favourites - all are excellent, though not quite up there with the best from the other 2 albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars A return to the days of Final Straw., 26 Oct. 2008
M. K. Sutton "www.come2whereimfrom.co.uk" (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
Ok so there are going to people out there that will knock this record before they have even heard it, the build them up knock them down mentality has befallen Snow Patrol and the band that it's ok to like has become the band its fashionable to hate. But after their last album which tried to hard to recreate the success of `Run' it is with out hesitation that I can say this record is a return to form and the best since `Final Straw'. Yes the tracks are ludicrously catchy sing-a-long and radio friendly but they also have some great depth to them. `Crack the shutters' is a genuinely honest love song `the sun seems to want you as much as I want you' Gary sings beautifully. First single `Take back the city' shows the band have lost none of there rock/pop sensibilities and sure to be single `Please just take these photos from my hands' is another fine example. Right from the opener `If there's a rocket tie me to it' with its `fire, fire you can only take what you can carry' refrain up to the 16 minute closer `The lightning strike' this is pure Snow Patrol and will see fans lap it up like a cat with spilt cream. There are still ballads like `Set down your glass' and `The planets bend between us' which aren't as strong as some of the others but it's the closing track that shows us the band are not afraid to experiment and challenge themselves, told in three parts the piano drives the melodies across which the band flow with great ease and it contains some of Gary's best lyrics yet. With Jacknife Lee (U2, Bloc Party, Rem) at the helm this will be the bands most commercially successful album to date but that doesn't mean you can't love it. I'm not ashamed to say I do.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 6 Feb. 2010
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
I think this is Snow Patrol's best album yet. Snow Patrol are brilliant at writing good lyrics and amazing tunes. I have favourite songs from their previous albums such as Chocolate, Run, Shut Your eyes, Make this go on forever and I loved the albums they were on but the songs on those albums didn't seem to fit together as well as this one. The songs on this album seem to be part of one story and in my opinion that is what makes a good album. Although Crack the Shutters and If there's a rocket tie me to it are immediate standouts however if you're looking for a song as big as Run or Chasing Cars you could be disappointed. But if you're looking for an album full of quality music this is for you. Apart from Lifeboat and The Golden Floor, I especially recommend "The Lightning Strike", the lyrics are fantastic (far more imaginative and poetic than most rock bands out there) and intertwine with the music so well. I'd say this 3-part song is their best yet and is of pure genius.

4.0 out of 5 stars A thoroughly accomplished album, 1 Feb. 2009
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (UK Standard Version) [Explicit] (MP3 Download)
If I have any doubts about SP's recent albums, it's that they seem less willing to take a flier on less conventional tracks like "Somewhere A Clock Is Ticking" than they were of yore. That said, "A Hundred Million Suns" is a thoroughly accomplished album with some great songs on it. From the opening "If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It" through "Crack The Shutters" and "Take Back The City", they start the album strongly. I was initially somewhat unmoved by "Lifeboats", but it's grown on me more and more, as has "The Golden Floor". "Please Just Take These Photos From My Hands" generates a tense excitement, "The Planets..." is simply beautiful, and I love the exuberant thrash of "The Disaster Button". "The Lightning Strike", a sort of song in three movements, is ambitious and mostly succeeds. All in all a strong album and one that's been on more days than not since I got it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Album I've Heard for Ages ..., 10 Jun. 2009
Emile AULD (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
This is the first Snow Patrol Album I've ever heard, so I wasn't handicapped by high expectations from listening to their previous stuff.

I've started listening to the earlier albums now, but not enough to really compare them yet.

If this Album is regarded as bland, then all I can say is that Snow Patrol's bland stuff is way better than most other people's good stuff.

The vocals are amazing. The harmonies and melodies just blew me away.

There are some really strong tracks on the album. My favourites are 'If there's a Rocket Tie Me to It', 'Take Back The City', 'Lifeboats' and the first part of 'The Lightning Strike'.

There were a couple of tracks that were weaker than the rest for me 'Engines' and 'Disaster Button', but even these were OK.

Forget all the Doom Merchants who are claiming that this is a Dud Album.

Listen to it, and make your own mind up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prog!, 10 Feb. 2009
This review is from: A Hundred Million Suns (Audio CD)
I love this album and think it better than the previous two (though I like these a lot too) What surprises me is that no-one has noticed that a three part, long track is typical of prog. rock. As bands like (the superb) Porcupine Tree, Mostly Autumn, Arena etc have kept the prog. flag flying groups like Radiohead and now Snow Patrol are seeing that "pop" music can be taken more seriously. That doesn't mean dull or boring, it means that "pop" can involve well thought out and crafted lyrics and imagination and musicianship. Some of us older people, and many younger ones too, have attention spans that can cope with something more than 3 minutes long. This is a great album and I hope that Snow Patrol try with the next one to keep moving in the right direction.