5.0 out of 5 stars Wellers Favourite Jam Album.....
The Jam were never just a band that you liked a bit & could take or leave.
Published on 15 Dec 2004 by frantollerson

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible remaster of a fantastic album
I've given this two stars because the remastering is terrible and unforgivable. All of the songs on the album sound very tinny and are actually unpleasant to listen to. I wish I had opted for the non-deluxe version of this. The remastered version sounds worse than my cassette tape copy from the 80's. I didn't recognise 'That's Entertainment' even though I've heard it...
Published on 1 Jun 2011 by Acton

5.0 out of 5 stars Wellers Favourite Jam Album....., 15 Dec 2004
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
The Jam were never just a band that you liked a bit & could take or leave.
To myself,my circle of friends, & I guess many,other people around at the time,They & their music were the soundtrack to our lives.I eagerly bought everything that they released & would sit glued to the TV, watching their inevitable rise through Punk to Mod, & eventually into being a chart topping, no1 singles band.It was at this point that Weller,(the Jam`s main creative force) suddenly announced his decision to leave,which effectively split the band at the peak of their powers.
At the time it seemed a bizarre decision,but in retrospect, latter Jam albums like "The Gift" had more bad tracks than good, & came nowhere near to matching their earlier offerings.
The real peak ,many believe,came in 1980 with the release of "Sound Affects".
It was at this time that Weller Wrote "Start" & the classic "That`s Entertainment", both of which feature here.
Weller himself Sites this as his favourite Jam album & it really delivers,every track, from beginning to end.
He is at his lyrical best here,& mixes wonderfully crafted love songs, with other tunes,that see him doing what he has always done best,reflecting on life in general with his inspired social commentries.
Each song has a right to be on the album & gives you something different than the last.
Dont do the "Greatest Hits Thing"
Buy "Sound Affects" Its The Jam at their best,
& does exactly what it says on the tin!

4.0 out of 5 stars Wham Bam There Were 3 In The Jam!, 9 Nov 2010
M. E. Ash (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
My favourite Jam LP and up there with my all time favourite records. I agree with the earlier review that this remastered version sounds a little trebly but I also think there are things on there I've not heard before (the count in to That's Entertainment for example) but overall I think they've done a good job with the sound. As for the extra tracks a lot has been available before on Extras and the boxed set. Even the "unreleased" Pretty Green was given away in cassette form with an issue of Select magazine so a bit disapointed with the extra disc. My main gripe however is with the sleeve notes. Weller himself describes how the bulk of the songs developed from jam sessions/rehearsals so it would have been nice to have the recollections of Bruce and Rick - it's not as though they would have had to sit together in the same room in order to have done this. Love the album, love the band but feel this repackaged version could have been done much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfection - as close as dammit!, 2 May 2003
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
To me, this is the only Jam LP that feels complete, has variety and consistency. We have the melody of 'Man in the Corner Shop', the immediacy and tightness of 'Start' as well as the stark early 80's new wave feel of 'Set the House Ablaze'
The album begins with the simple but memorble bass line of 'Pretty Green', moves into the anticipatory love of 'Monday' (does anyone else think this sounds like the theme tune to 'The Bill'?) and then we're in. Every song is awesome and benefits from what I can only describe as a metallic, harsh production where the vocals are almost set back behind the music but provide just enough to drive the songs forward.
I think this is Weller's attempt to rewrite 'Revolver' in a 'modern' style. It captures 'The Jam' at their peak of songwriting (bear in mind, 'Going Underground' does not feature on this album even though it was written around the time).
Don't buy the collections and greatest hits, immerse yourself in this album and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychedelic Punk, 7 Mar 2007
Mr. J. Gould (Newbury, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
Music historians will always site "All Mod Cons" as The Jam's greatest achievment because of its significance in the scheme of things. But this record has to be my favourite from the Wheller collection. It's the variety that gets you first. Compare the pounding bass of the opener "Pretty Green" to the melancholy of "Monday" and then the thrashing rhythm of "I'm Different Now" or the psychedelic post-punk of "Set The House Ablaze". And then there's the Beatles/Harrison tribute "Start" (the bass line is affectionately nicked from "Taxman"). And don't forget the classic "That's Entertainment", a song that elevates Wheller from punk rocker to voice of a generation (and a few generations to come). I don't understand why The Jam didn't become the biggest band in the world...i suppose the music is just too good for the american market.

Do yourself a favour and buy this album...you will never ever ever regret it. Trust me on this one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, 4 Nov 2004
Martin Parnham (Hull, East Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
If ever proof were needed that Paul Weller is a God, it is found here with some of the best song writing you are likely to see.
That's not to discredit Foxton and the rest of the band who provide the musical force to back-up Weller's superb lyrics and vocals. This can be heard especially on 'That's Entertainment' (my personal favourite) and the excellent 'Set the House Ablaze' with it's whistling ambient intro.
Another Outstanding track, one which I disliked at first but have now come to love, is 'Boy About Town', which seems to capture the mood of every young man from the age of 17-22 so well.
Most of all The Jam have a legacy that can be seen today as they have influenced and inspired many artists.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Modfather's Post-Punk Psychedelic Masterpiece, 6 Sep 2005
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
Growing up in the late 70's my soundtrack was a mix of punk/ska/mod-the usual suspects.Most of those old records sound really dated now,but this album i just can't stop revisiting.Weller's psychedelic stuff (this album plus b-sides like butterfly collector or tales from the riverbank etc) seems to me to be up there Revolver,Floyd's Piper or Who Sell Out-just timeless music.
For those who haven't heard Sound Affects i can best describe it as the mutant offspring of Gang of Four and Revolver-era Fabs.For those who like their Power-pop with a healthy dose of Psychedelia!

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have album, 3 Aug 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
This album has it all. I think this has to be the best Jam album. It has everything. Each song takes you on a different journey with all trains stopping at Modsville - SUPERBE

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jam's best album, wonderfully remastered, 12 Dec 2010
Scott Davies - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
As an audiophile, the first thing I have to say about this package is that the remastering has to be one of the best I've ever heard. Every time I purchase a CD over the last 10+ years, my first concern is if it's going to be blasted so loud that most of the dynamics are squashed out making it painful to listen to. Not only are all the dynamics fully retained in this wonderful new remaster, but there has been a careful amount of re-equalization to correct from the midrange-heavy remaster from 2000. Also, there have been no poor attempts to remove or minimize the analog tape hiss. The person credited for remastering the sound is Tibor Pesci. I am unfamiliar with any previous release that may have been remastered by him but if this is the kind of quality that comes as a result, Universal mastering should hire him to remaster the entire back catalog of the Siouxsie and the Banshees botched remasters. I'm remarkably impressed with this product.

Now, onto the music. I spent many years avoiding The Jam. The video for `A Town Called Malice' was all over MTV in 1982 but did not catch my ear. It wasn't until first hearing `Going Underground' in the early 2000's on VH1 Classic that I decided to investigate some of The Jam's music. Based on a compilation I purchased, I avoided the early punk albums and started with the `Setting Sons' album. I was somewhat underwhelmed, but liked enough to move to the next album, 1980's `Sound Affects'. This album was a revelation for me. There are plenty of wonderfully catchy hooks and great songs that made me think The Jam's overblown and overrated reputation may not be entirely exaggerated. I eventually purchased their final album, `The Gift'. While I enjoyed many tracks on that album as well, I still find `Sound Affects' to be the most consistent album.

`Sound Affects' is filled with so many great songs: `Set The House Ablaze' has a great whistle-hook, `Monday' has an attractive melancholy melody, `Scrape Away' is a strong and hook-filled album closer. This special edition also comes with a bonus disc of 22 period rarities and curiosities. Though many are only of minor interest to me, it's nice to have all of it collected in this one package for any future interest.

If `The Gift' and `Setting Sons' are given the deluxe treatment, and remastered by the same engineer, I'll happily re-purchase those as well. As a nice change to some of my other (audio) critical reviews, I'm pleased to finish this by saying, well done Universal Music.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Jam studio offering?, 13 July 2007
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
For many this album represents the musical zenith for The Jam. It is a fantastic album from start to finish in terms of the songwriting. The earlier Setting Sons has few brilliant anthemic tracks such as Thick as Thieves or The Eton Rifles and was intended as a concept album with the themes of friendship over time being the focal point but by Paul Weller's own admission had a few fillers such as Girl on the Phone, Private Hell and the cover of Martha Reeves' Heatwave. This album by contrast is a highly polished offering, perhaps a little too over produced at times and as such saw The Jam going in a new direction. Gone is the earlier raucousness and anger and the imperfect guitar playing and vocals which added something to the songs and at times made them seem rather like live tracks. Instead, this album has a veneer and a polish which firmly established The Jam as a post-punk band.

Weller's vocals are muted and his growth in maturity as both a songwriter and a singer are clear. His voice sounds less angry, the guitar is strummed rather than twanged, Foxton's bass no longer pounds and in songs like The Man In The Corner Shop, Music For The Last Couple, Monday, Dreamtime and That's Entertainment show how musically at least the band produce some "sweet" and melodic music. Even the mandatory Weller rail at society's inequity and the hypocrisy of the establishment, Scrape Away is delivered in a more ironic and sombre rather than vitriolic way.

Nevertheless, the album is masterful. The band have sounded as good but never any better than they do here. For many The Jam existed first and foremost as a live act full of passion and adrenaline and this is as far from that image as the band ever came.

The album probably is as close to mainstream as the band ever came in terms of the music but the real reward for listening to the songs comes with the lyrics. Weller writes such fantasticly here in poetic style (indeed a section from Shelley's Mask of Anarchy is printed on the back of the original vinyl album- Weller's homage to romantic poetry and a hint at his mellowing)and with a clear precision not seen in many young writers of the time. Lyrically, The Jam reach their peak with this album and when you listen, they show that sound does indeed affect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 13 Sep 2006
This review is from: Sound Affects (Audio CD)
Best thing the Jam ever did, possibly Weller's peak so far as well.

A wonderful, confident album full of imagination, class and style.

Intelligent well-written songs played with fire and skill. "Monday" is wistful and charming ; "Man On The Corner Shop" melodic and infectious ; "Set The House Ablaze" sounds corrosive to this day and "Dream Time" is near-perfect.

Don't get bogged down in definitions of punk ; this is a great album by a band at the peak of their powers.

Sound Affects