Published on 13 May 2011 by Victor

2.0 out of 5 stars Not What It Was When I Listend To It Back In Late 1998.
(This review might be slightly different to the listed product).

Its some time since I've listened to this album, (since listening to it religiously back in October 1998 when at University).

1. How Long's A Tear Take To Dry : A very upbeat start to the album, with a whole assortment of instruments.

2. The Lure Of The Sea : "If I walk like...
Published on 24 Oct 2011 by Richie77777

4.0 out of 5 stars Quench: Beautiful South - Another excellent offering from the BS, 13 May 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
Another great 13 tracks from Hull's greatest musical export, the Beautiful South. Combining their usual cynical and bitter outlook on life with jazzy, jaunty tunes they have crafted another album packed with some perfect pop. Following the pattern laid down in their previous release, Blue is the Colour, there is a mixture of radio friendly singles (Perfect 10) and some slower, more `difficult' material (I may be Ugly), and not as much boundary pushing as on early albums.

With some cracking arrangements, classic soulful vocals, lyrics which have something to say and great album cover art, this is one of my favourites from the BS back catalogue.

4.0 out of 5 stars Quench, 31 Jan 2005
Rich Milligan (Thatcham, Berkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
With its dark and moody front cover and the depressing and gloomy song subjects like alcoholism, family break-up and suicide it's a real wonder than somehow the whole package of Quench ends up being a jolly, upbeat and inspiring album.
Perhaps it's the style in which the songs are performed. Tackling a multitude of styles they all seem to tick along at a good upbeat pace, the gospel influenced "The Slide", the Big Band sound of "Look what I've found in my beer" or the almost late-night cabaret bass and piano of "Big Coin"
Perhaps it's the very clever lyrics, examples of which are far to numerous to mention here but they are so good it's an album where reading the booklet is really worth it.
Perhaps it's the superb voice of Jacqueline Abbott who outshines both Paul Heaton and Dave Hemmingway (but both support wonderfully well) and really comes into her own on this album.
Anyway, enough of the perhaps-es, one thing is definite, this is one excellent album and is thoroughly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Takes away the thirst - for a while!, 7 Dec 1999
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
For many years now The Beautiful South have recorded song upon song about the negative effects of alchohol, and thus it seems fitting that their latest effort be named "Quench". With vocalist Jackie Abbott now totally comfortable (she's now been in the band longer than her previous counter-part Briana Corrigan) the band find themselves on top form!
"The Lure Of The Sea" is a beautiful yet morbid tune about suicide, "Your Father And I" about the wonderful world of failed marriage and "I May Be Ugly" speaks for itself, yet you still come away from listening to this album feeling upbeat and happy.
Heaton how do you do it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gets better each time you listen to it., 2 Mar 2001
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
This was the first Beautiful South record I bought. The first thing that struck me when I heard this album was how the lyrics were very clever, and also quite amusing, especially those of 'How long's a tear take to dry?'. This song is a great start to the album, it's upbeat tempo sets the scene well. The next two tracks, are less upbeat, showing you that this is a varying style album. Then, track 4, is Dumb, which i personally felt should have done a lot better in the charts. Then, from one familiar song to another, you then have Perfect 10, one of the best on the album. The next track Slide, is one of those that grows on you each time you hear it.Then, back go the upbeat style with Look what I found in my beer, a very meaningful song (as are all the songs on the album.) Another two ballads follow, but then comes the only track that I don't like 'I May be Ugly'. Fortunately, the album ends of with two good memorable songs, 'losing things', and 'your father and I'. This is my ratings for each track;-
How long's a tear...:- 10/10 Lure of the Sea:- 8/10 Big Coin:- 8/10 Dumb:- 9/10 Perfect 10:- 10/10 The Slide:- 8/10 Look what I found in my beer:- 9/10 The Table:- 9/10 Window shopping for blinds:- 10/10 Pockets:- 7/10 I may be Ugly:- 2/10 Losing things:- 8/10 Your Father and I:- 8/10
If you like the Beautiful South, you'll love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best South Album yet!, 4 Dec 1999
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
Quench has to be the best album that the Beautiful South has recorded so far, containing catchy songs and beautiful melodies - Heaton/Rotheray come up trumps! Of course the most successful song on the album is Perfect 10, and everyone knows why... A treat for south fans everywhere - but great for everyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars HEATON IS GREAT, 5 July 2014
NEEDED ANOTHER COPY-GREAT RACKS WHAT A GROUP

4.0 out of 5 stars Quenching!, 14 May 2014
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
The South's 6th studio outing is, once again, well worth listening too. Paul Heaton and Jacqueline Abbott's vocals always seem to blend together well and the opening track 'How Long's A Tear Take To Dry?' is the perfect example of this happy union. The best known track is the delicious 'Perfect 10' with 'Dumb' completing the trio of Top 20 singles included here. Overall, I don't like this collection as much as its predecessor 1996's 'Blue Is The Colour' but I would still recommend this album to lovers of intelligent pop music everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 9 Sep 2013
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
I love the songs, it's their best album in my opinion. Got sent to me quickily after purchase, and I didn't pay alot. I am very happy with my bargin. The CD plays as good as new.

5.0 out of 5 stars Undiscovered nugget, 31 Dec 2012
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
I recently heard a track from this album and having several of their early albums decided to get this one. The production and quirky lyrics make this an excellent album and has led me to discover 2 more of their later albums. The lyrics and production remind me of 10cc's material and I can recommend this album very highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quench Album, 30 Mar 2012
This review is from: Quench (Audio CD)
The Quench Album has some brilliant songs on it.
I bought it for 1 song, and found I enjoyed them all.
Really easy listening, and some foot tapping numbers.
Highly recommended to anyone thinking of buying
This album.