on 21 September 2005
For fans of Phrenology and the Tipping Point this might come as quite a shock. They are, what I would consider to be, the Roots two most commercial albums. Things Fall Apart is the most cohesive of their first era, amazing rhymes, fantastic beats and just some of the finest hip-hop you're ever likely to hear.
The thing that attracts me to their music most is their sheer musical ability - they play virtually all the instruments, and their music truly is organic, a far cry from the decks/samples of modern hip hop.
Malik B's last album with the band is undoubtedly his best, and I urge you to buy it...
Fans of Talib K, Common, Hi Tek, etc, this should suit you
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2006
I´ve just started listening to this again after not touching it for a couple of years and I´m pleased to say it´s still sounding as good as ever.
This did extremely well at the time of it´s release and although The Roots never really hit the commercial big time it brought the group a lot of plaudits from all corners of the music business. It´s curious because as hip-hop fans will know this group and it´s leader have been around for many years but for me this album is the first in which the group really manage to harness all their musical talents. What I like about this lot is that they are actually a band. An MC, a drummer, a bassist and the insane Rahzel with his stratching noises. It makes the tunes come to life and their sound isn´t as processed as other hip-hop acts. This album triumphs because it explores a number of different styles and structures from the bouncing R/B feel of,"The next movement," to the intense,"step into the realm," and free flowing,"Dynamite,"
My favourite track has to be,"nothin new," I love the passion of the lyrics and the sense of rhythm of the rap. Another favourite is the high octane,"Andrenaline," a live classic.
"The love of my life," is a beautifully understated track about the love of the art form. Perhaps the most commercially successful track from the album was,"You got me," although I don´t rate it so highly listening to this the second time around.
The Roots have gone on to make more fine music to prove this wasn´t just a flash in the pan but it remains for me their finest work.
on 14 September 2002
Dear God, this album is so good. It blends sharp, inventive, commercially appealing beats with superb, cutting hardcore raps.
The Roots are like a strange mix of Oukast and Gravediggaz, hardcore, but catchy, funky. This is real underground hip hop, there are no sexist or racist sentiments, here. Nor do they pretend to be pimps or gangsters, they are real, and they carry real messages.
'Thing Fall Apart' will certainly bless my CD player for many years to come - it is a modern hip hop classic. Buy it, borrow it, steal it, whatever, just get it! You'll love it trust me. If you love hip hop, you'll love this.
on 25 March 2001
i'm gonna make this one short and sweet...... first off i can't believe i'm only the second person to review this album. if you ever stumble across this page by accident and are even remotely interested in real hip hop/jazz you should buy this album. reasons: tracks number: 1(brilliant intro)2,3,6,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15. seriously, there is not a bad track on the disk. i didn't mention 'step into the realm', only because i have herad the live version and that is absolutely beautiful (better than this version). i couldn't mention 'return to innocence lost' because that is more of a poem, than a track. its still good though but quite disturbing. check this album out...and stop sleeping ('do you want more' is also worth buying, as is the 'roots come alive'.)
on 1 August 2002
Seriously, it doesnt get much better than this. 'Things Fall Apart' takes a position of pride with seldom few in my vast hiphop collection. Reason being 'The Roots' dont lie to themselves when it comes to making records and rarely produce a cut theyre not 100% happy with. My favourite songs on this Record have to be 'You Got Me' featuring the sublime voice of Erika Badu, Love Of My Life, for putting my expressions into words and Adrenaline! for being just outstanding. Saying that though all the songs on this album stand out and real hiphop fans will be missing out if they dont own this in their collection.
on 14 January 2004
Until I discovered the Roots (and others such as Mos Def and Talib Kweli) I had become increasingly unhappy with modern hip-hop. Second rate producers such as master P, P.Diddy and the Neptunes and Just Blaze have created a mainstream genre in which u can easily identify who the song is produced by, cos they all sound the same! However the Roots are different, as they produce orginal beats, using real instruments, and do not project negativity in their Vocals. THIS IS TRUE HIP HOP. BUY IT! All the songs are brilliant and check out their other albums, apart from Phrenology which i found a let down.
on 15 July 2010
I killed The Roots.

No seriously, they have a large back catalogue and once you get into it, you are not going to resurface until you are truly sick of them and want to punch Black Thought in the face. The brains behind the operation is the fat guy with the huuuuge afro, ?uest Love (Quest Love to you and me) who is possibly the most underrated hip hop producer of all time. Period. The ensemble is superb - it's all their own music, they are all musicians and whilst there are a couple of 'filler' tracks on there it's a must buy. They don't really rely on hooks, direct sampling but instead work from the ground up with percussion, drums, bass + lead guitar, mc, beatboxer etc.

The only thing is.....I prefer Illadelph Halflife because it is darker and is a touch more consistent. Phrenology is a v v close third.

You have to see them live and whilst this isn't really important if you are only initially considering buying this -I think even non- hip hop fans would be blown away by these wonderfullly gifted musicians.
on 7 May 2006
This album is just unbelievable.It is in the top two of the roots albums because I cant descide which is better,this or The Tipping Point.I have six roots albums,I dont have come alive.I have organix and it is really good but not as good as there others.Things fall apart is definetly one of there most "complete" albums because it has everything:great lyricism from both thought and malik,great beats with brilliant production and instrumental beats.My favourite tracks are:the next movement,step into the realm,dynamite!,aint sayin nuthin new,act too(the love of my life),100% dundee,adrenaline! and you got me.These are most of the songs on the album so it shows you how good this album is,no album fillers.The roots are one of the best hip hop groups ever just buy this album and you will end up buyin all of there albums.
on 28 June 2000
This album is fantastic!,Ive only just discovered the Roots and Id been waisting my life up till then, In particular check out ADRENALINE which has become my favourite song and DYNAMITE which isnt far behind If you loved the vocal sounds of the Wu Tang but prefer slightly more mellow lyrics...this is for you ****A MUST BUY****
on 3 February 2006
I've been listening to The Roots for awhile and have only just read the reviews. This is one of the best albums I've EVER had the pleasure of owning/listening to! I bought it when it first came out and am still listening to it today, I never get bored of it and it never feels outdated!Seriously this is heavy heavy music and i'm someone that has listened to hip hop from waaaay back in the day. If you haven't already got it...BUY IT!!!