Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 9 April 2004
Like any of the Orb albums, the music is not just about the individual songs, but rather about the experience as a whole. As the titles suggest, these songs take you through a fantasy landscape. By the time you arrive at Oxbow Lakes, you'll be stunned by the amazing beauty you see in your head. This album features an undercurrent of 'sadness' in tone, of a classical nature, and the sounds are of greater quality, crispier, so to speak, than the previous ones. It are the piano sounds and high frequency percussion which are more notable in this album than the others, and there is less reggea style dub music this time, except for the track slug dub.
on 10 May 2004
This is quite simply one of the greatest musical compositions ever created or dreamt up. A stroke of genius, Mssrs Patterson, Western and Fehlmann have come up with an all time GREAT album which to me is even more deserving of the title "Classic" than "U-F-ORB".
A genuine modern day masterpiece of ambient musical heaven which you can never get tired of.
I have to agree with another reviewer, that this album can make you feel better if you are unwell. It simply livens you up and lifts your spirits.
Standout tracks, well they all stand out really, but if I had to pick just one it would be Plateau. 12 minutes of heaven, my only gripe is that they should have released a seven cd edition, with huge extended versions of each track, one per cd. (Maybe thats pushing it a bit)
Buy it, or you'll never know what made me rant on about this Gem, 7 years after I bought it.
on 10 April 2007
One of the most significant ambient albums of the nineties, Orbus Terrarum represents a journey across a landscape in the form of sound, with each track signifying a different terrain feature. The journey begins in the lush, dense ravine of 'Valley', with it's heavy rolling bass, gradually rising up into the airy, open spaces of 'Plateau', before descending again into the aquatic chimes of 'Oxbow Lakes'. The 'landscape as sound' theme is seemingly abandoned toward the end of the album, with an epic dub workout, 'Slug Dub', instead providing the finale, with humourous, if slightly sinister samples of a childrens' story about lettuce being eaten by 'nasty' slugs. Quite different from all the Orb's other albums, but definitely a classic.
on 2 September 2014
This was a departure from the sound of 'Adventures...' and 'UFOrb' that made them popular. It was a brave move, exploring ambience far more than earlier material. You won't find a lot of house beats or heavy dub basslines here, but what you will find is some top-class ambient works. If you're not a genuine fan of ambient music (i.e. you prefer ambient house or ambient dub) perhaps it's best avoided, however I'd recommend it highly to anyone that enjoys the ambient/chillout genre.
on 23 June 2003
In the Orb's debut they went in space,
and now they're conquering ambient on solid ground...
The result is a fantastically dreamy ambient work, with light percussion. Valley and Plateau are the ambient highlights, which are sub-cool with a soothing rhythm, but enough variation to maintain interest. Oxbow Lakes is, unsurprisingly regarded as the Orb's finest hour and I would be pressed to disagree, as it is simply wonderous.
White River Junction, Montagne D'Or and Occidental are also well produced ambient tracks with the classic Orb touch and are highly listenable.
The finale, Slug Dub is a quite fantastic end to a brilliant album, a 17 minute masterpiece of soundworking with almost every arena of Orb sound encapsulated.
In summary, this is an album no true Orb fan could do without.
on 8 October 2013
This album is still relevant in 2013. Its an album of ambient music. The tunes are definitely more like cerebral-esque journeys by sound than a tune you can put on and hum along to. Don't get me wrong there are bits of tunes on the album you could hum to but the overall experience is one of being drawn into and travelling around in a very strange (rich sounding in alot of parts) soundscape. One which does take you off on a journey.

Thus, because of its odd (when compared to conventional music, even most albums which come under the genre 'electronic music') individual sound, qualities, its not really aging and can be enjoyed now as it was when it was first released.

Over the years i'd hoped The Orb would pump out more albums like this or other people would create music in this vein. Neither of which have done so good enough for me to really get into what they've produced. Shame.
on 9 June 2016
MORE ORGANIC AND CLEAN This is earthy and Psychedelic, easy on the ear and less spacey science fiction soundtrack. I still like it as I do The Orb generally and if you want a gentle soundtrack that allows you to skip through fields whilst blowing the fluff off those little flowery things then get it. I would say that with a member leaving having started this project and with the introduction of a new member coming in at that time things here changed route a little. I still enjoy it as it is trippy enough for me to enjoy in various situations, but for those die hard Orb fans who are used to a more edgy sound you may find it a little tame. Either way I have enjoyed it throughout this summer. Super chilled!
on 3 November 1999
I lie on my bed, my nasus crawling with influenza, but the sounds from my stereo above me have an oddly soothing effect. Listening to this album for about the twentieth time I can still unlock new melodies and marvel in the orgasmic soundscapes that encapsulate the ears. This is music so vivid you could smoke it.
on 25 March 2014
This is a monster of an album form The Orb. Have been listening to this since its release and is still one of my favourite albums to date. This release solidifies how amazing The Orb are and their part in producing what maybe a future masterpiece.
on 6 January 2011
"Generic Ambient Music" was how this album was described by the press when it first came out, and I couldn't agree more. I'm an Orb fan, have all of the albums except this one up until now as it wasn't recommended; but the reviews were quite good and seeing as I was a fan I thought "how bad can it be?". I've played it through 5 times but that will be its total ever play count for me. All I can say I've done is complete my collection, nothing else.