on 1 December 2010
Although the Amazon page for this song gives the original release date as May 2004 it was actually first recorded by Bernard Cribbins in 1962, which is when I first remember it from. My wife and I sometimes sing snatches from half-remembered songs and it was after such an outing with this one that I checked on the lyrics and finally bought it as an Amazon download - much cheaper than iTunes and already in MP3 format which saves the trouble of converting it. It's a classic of its time and paints a living picture of the struggles of the three men with their piano. And ultimately, of course, there's the abiding sadness for the fate of poor Fred - though not too much since we know he's a fictional character. If you don't know it, buy it. And if you do know it, don't let it get away again.
on 5 February 2013
Cribbins is a treasure and this song is a warming reminder of the joyous innocence of (my) childhood.
Stick it on whenever you want a warm and fuzzy giggle :-)
on 2 July 2013
Great song, great lyrics, and executed so well. There isn't enough of this type of music around. Bernard Cribbins should have a national monument built of him.
on 19 May 2013
Another song I remember from children's favourites in the 60's...
This has also gone into a playlist to give me a smile amongst the more usual stuff.
on 2 November 2013
This is just one of those tracks that just makes me smile whenever I hear it. Great to have my own copy of it now!! Bernard Cribbins at his best!!
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This is a great song. Everyone knows it, everyone loves it. And with good reason - it's catchy and fairly amusing. Good job Bernard.
on 24 January 2014
Fabulous, I'm really pleased to have been able to purchase this, great price too. I might even buy the album
on 3 October 2013
It's great to still be able to get these songs after all these years. Downloaded in a flash and a fun tune.
on 12 November 2012
I've not had the chance to listen to this as yet as is a present for someone, but I'm sure it will be fine
on 10 May 2014
Addictive song - in fact, so addictive I had to count up how many cups of tea they had combined!