on 6 May 2014
Big fan of Metallica and was put onto Apocalyptica by my stepson.
After listning to a few tracks on youtube,I decided to purchase the CD on the off chance.
Overall I liked what I heard,tracks are not quite like the original as you would imagine,but would highly recommend if you are into an alternative listning experience.
on 9 February 2004
This album is truly a masterpiece of modern music, and all the shallow senseless retards that have given this bad reviews don't actually know anything about music. Metallica is my favourite band and apocalyptica have done them justice by recording some of there best songs on classical instruments. Even metallica love this album, and lets face it they should know. they are the experts...
on 8 October 2007
I'll start off by saying that I'm not into classical music or anything like that, and this is basically the first cello-heavy album I've heard. So this is new to me, and it's fairly obvious even from the concept that it's going to take a while to get used to. However I've given it four or five listens which is normally enough for me.

Good points straight off - it's a really interesting idea: the solos and some of the interludes (James' solo on 'Master of Puppets' stands out) are obviously classically influenced and it shows here - they sound beautiful on cello. The musicianship, as far as I can tell, is good enough for the songs as I can't pick out any dropped notes or errors. A lot of the aggression is taken out of the songs without vocals, which makes it a bit more relaxing than you'd expect from Metallica songs. Standout tracks are 'The Unforgiven', 'Creeping Death' and 'Welcome Home (Sanitarium)'.

There are, however, a few downsides. For a start, I found the sound of two or three cellos doing staccato root notes simoultaneously a very ugly sound. It sounded clunky, a bit like what you'd expect kicking an acoustic guitar around to sound like. In other words, horrible. I got used to it eventually, but it takes the relaxing edge off the classical instrumentation - surely the whole point of playing the songs on cello is lost here.
Also, a few of the songs just don't sound right on cello. 'Enter Sandman' and 'Sad But True', for example. I'm personally not a fan of the originals so I'm biased, but I noticed the awkward sound most obviously on those tracks.
The final letdown is in 'Master of Puppets', which shows so much promise with a fantastic interlude and first solo, but the shredding solo is not attempted at all. So after building up for Kirk's solo, I was left speechless as the two-cello clunking was all i could hear instead.

'Master of Puppets' summed the album up really: there was so much potential in combining Metallica songs and classical instruments (S&M proved that), and the tenor passages are lovely to listen to. However, whatever you think of Metallica, and classical music for that matter, this doesnt fulfil the potential of either.
on 25 August 2015
Not a Metallica fan myself but these guys capture M's sound in a far different way. Will be looking at other albums.
on 5 April 2015
Fantastic cd. I thought it may be a bit gimmicky but far from it. Another great service from zoverstocks.
on 20 October 2011
A really good CD worth a listen. Slightly crazy compared to other music we have but alot of fun though.
on 31 August 2014
May not be everyone's cup of tea but I love it.
on 21 September 2005
it is very relaxing, but anyone considering purchasing this, must be able to accept something a little different.
if u havn't already got the S&M album, its definatly worth a look
on 4 September 2015