5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every pound/euro

Published 2 months ago by Victor Preston

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every pound/euro, 12 Feb. 2012
CR Van Ooststroom (IJsselstein Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970 (Audio CD)
Back in the mid-seventies I asked my brother, who was 14 years older and grew up in the sixties, who James Brown was. The thng I still remember is that he told me that it was a soul artist who brought out a single every month. When I bought the Star Time box in the eighties I thought I had the best of James Brown in my posession. Not true! I already bought the extensive Motown singles box-sets from Hip-O Select (every soul afficionado, get your hands on those!) and I knew they brought the entire James Brown singles collection (the Polydor years) on the market, but thought I had the best of JB with the Star Time box set. No way, after reading some reviews and knowing they only pressed 5000 of each double CD I started buying them and it was no let-down. Every single volume of this extensive set has it's value. From the rhythm & blues beginnings through his long soul period and being the grandfather of funk listening to all those A and B-sides it's a joy. Even the sngles that weren't issued are of very high quality. Although his last years with Polydor aren't his best years, it's great to hear him playing the funk and soul not many artist can do better. So, if you're doubting to buy this 11 volume set, don't doubt: buy it!

3.0 out of 5 stars hit and miss, 14 Jan. 2015
Victor Preston "gvb" (birmingham, west mids United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
these sets are a bit hit and miss and this one is most definitely a miss
many of these were not big hits and are definitely his worst songs
the next couple of volumes had some of James Brown's best singles

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 10 Nov. 2014
Peter Ainger (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970 (Audio CD)
James brown at his peak , you must get this , highly recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars Real treat for Brown fans, 2 Sept. 2010
Stu P. "Stu" (Waterlooville, Hants United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970 (Audio CD)
Firstly, a big hand to Mr Leeds for the incredible liner notes, a real goldmine of interesting information. I'm just glad "I'm Shook" is on here, one of those great lost, late 60's cuts that made James so great at this period. I'm just regretting that I haven't picked up the first 5 volumes now as they are getting scarce (Vol.5 is all sold out now).

5.0 out of 5 stars great stuff!, 31 Oct. 2010
Niels Delvaux (Ghent, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970 (Audio CD)
This The Singles series is superb! For all intrested in de details and chronology of the career of the hardest working man in showbusiness. Great to hear how diverse his releases were, and somehow it seems to bring one closer to the original experience of discovering mr. Brown at the time to hear al these singles in sequence. It's a pity though that some volumes of the series are sold out already and go at ridiculous prices (which a cd can never ever be worth in any way). Any chance for rerelease of the missing parts? I tried to contact the label about this, but the site didn't allow for proper contact.

The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970
The Singles Volume Six: 1969-1970 by James Brown (Audio CD - 2009)