Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Shop now Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 25 April 2003
The thing about Sublime was that they did what they wanted. They didn;t follow a trend, or make whatever music was popular at the time, they did what they wanted-which leaves you a mixture of ska,reggae,punk rock,samples and hip-hop, and believe me, it's good.'Sublime' opens with the slow ska-reggae 'Garden Grove', the acoustic, sing along 'What I Got', and the simple ska of 'Wrong Way'. I was totaly blown away, but Sublime certainly hadn't finished. The next 3 songs are also well written, performed and structured. 'Same in the End' is a fast song with fast ska versus and a totally awesome heavy punk chorus, 'April 29 1992' is a mellowed out hip-hop stroke ska tune, but its the the amazing 'Santeria' that is pick of the bunch-another ska tune, very emotional, and has a couple of wonderful guitar playing from Brad. The rest of the album contiues superbly, and songs that fit into the same category are kept apart, leaving you never knowing whats happening next. More punk-rock comes from 'Seed', while 'Jailhouse' and 'Pawn Shop' are simple ska tunes, but effective. 'Get Ready' is another highlight, and the effectious lines on the chorus are simply irresistable-'im in the mood, get ready-im in the moo-ood, yeah come on now' (Im singing it now!).Sublime are a great band, and if your just getting into them, this is a good starting point. I started with this album 3 years ago, and now have every Sublime album and the 3 DVD's-so keep your wallet full! Sublime were a great band, and keep the legacy going into the 21st century!
on 10 November 2005
I have listened to this album so many times and still each track sounds so fresh. This is the sort of music you can have playing at a party and everyone sings along and gets into the groove. So sad that it is the last one they got to record before the tragic overdose of Brad.
Best tracks would have to be 'same in the end', 'santeria' and 'doin time'.
on 2 August 2006
I bumped into this album accidentally. I was looking for a decent ska album to get into, a coupla years back on Amazon, and came across this. No matter where I looked, there was nothing but good reviews on this album, so I bought it.

I was not disappointed. This album expertly combines punk, ska and reggae effortlessly and is, at the most base level, a happy, uplifting summery album. And isn't that what music should be about? The reason why it gets 4 and not 5 stars, is that it is slightly slightly too safe, especially compared to the more experimental earlier albums, but it's still awesome.

Stand out tracks include 'Garden Grove''What I Got', 'Jailhouse' and 'Under My Voodoo'.
on 22 June 2005
One question:
Why aren't this amazing band world-renowned?
Santeria, Same In The End, Burritos, What I Got and Doin' Time are all classics. So why aren't Sublime up there with Bob Marley and his ilk? If only more people could hear Sublime.
This CD is the most incredible mix of ska, reggae, punk and hip-hop that I have ever heard. Brad's voice and talent truly shine through on this CD, although the earlier release 40 Oz. To Freedom is just as good, if not better. I suggest that any fans of ska, reggae or even punk snap this CD up as this band are the greatest band in the world. Bar none. R.I.P Brad Nowell
on 15 April 2002
This is Sublime at their best. This album is filled with so much soul in the form of wonderfully played rhythms and great lyrics. How can you top songs like 'What I Got?', 'April 29, 1992', 'Garden Grove', 'Caress me Down', and 'Doin Time'? Although I prefer Sublime's chilled-out side I also love their punkier side which can be heard in songs like 'Seed' and 'Same in the End'. Buy this album, stick it in your cd player or discman and sit back and listen to music made straight from the heart. This is what music is supposed to be. R.I.P Bradley Nowell.
on 6 August 2002
this album has a compilation of some of sublimes best songs,mixing the laid-back chill out feel with songs such as what i got and jail house with the punk beats of songs like same in the end (a great track on the album). Although i would say it still doesnt compare to the legenday 40oz, its definately worth getting if you feel u want 2 hear some more from the long beach ska band. r.i.p brad nowell
on 8 September 2002
I bough this album after hearing just one song, and I am very impressed. Intelligent and amusing lyrics coupled to ska,punk,reggae and hip hop sounds makes this a great album to just kick back to. Sounds a bit odd to start with but I guarantee within one week you will be buying your next Sublime album!
on 12 April 2002
Many people will tell you this is sublimes best album, i beg to differ. The infectious cocktail of various musical genres makes for an excellent listen, however the album lacks the depth that "40oz to freedom" and "robin' the hood" have. On the first listen, songs such as "what i got", "santeria" are almost guaranteed to impress anyone who hears them, to a more mature fan however, it is unlikely that these songs would be rated within their top 10 favourites.
Self-titled, produced at Willy Nelsons ranch in Texas is still a brilliant album, ideal for those who have heard little music by sublime, and provides a smooth transition to other sublime albums.
on 25 July 2001
Although some 'hardcore' sublime fans describe this as not there best, i have to disagree, despite havin all of there albums. This album is much more accessible than any of there other albums, so it takes less perseverance to fully love it. Songs like what i got, wrong way, seed and same in the end allow for classic sing-along moments, while looking at the lyrics will only sadden anyone because they are so good, esp. wrong way that it is such a shame that we won't get any more from brad. Overall despite a couple of poorer tracks in the middle, this album can just sit and keep playin for really every mood that you could get into. A Pleasure to listen to.
on 19 October 2011
I used to like this band loads around 5 years ago, now I find it a bit boring to listen too.

I felt that it was of a particular era and not necessarily one I place much value in now. The mix of influences is quite apparent when Listening and some of the 'up-beat' feeling can be attributed to the dub and punk influences.

I just got bored of the album fairly quick. That said, I used to love this music so it's hard to either slam it or big it up.