Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 10 July 2000
Glimmer is an album that grows on you until you can't understand why people don't rave about it on a first hearing (even though you didn't yourself).
Over a period of time you find yourself choosing new favourite tracks. It doesn't immediately stand out commercially but the quality of the songwriting, the musicianship and the overall distinctive sound are evident straight away and the album gains an almost hypnotic hold through the sublime music.
Glimmer is a good word to sum up the music's effect. The overall sound is like a subtle, sparkling glimmering which becomes more and more attractive and eventually you end up happily playing the album over and over again.
A real 'music' album. A real songwriter, a real musician. Wonderful.
on 10 December 1999
This is Kim's 3rd album and it's the best so far! You may not know Kim but if you follow country music I'm sure you'll know some of her songs eg "You'll never know"(Mindy McCready);"Just like the moon"(Ilse De Lange). She has great way of telling a story in song and capturing feelings and emotions(good,bad,happy,sad)that we can all identify with and say "Yeah,been there,done that".I'm sure you won't be disappointed!
on 20 March 2014
Loving "Bitter Sweet" made me try "Glimmer". It's turned out (not the 1 st time-Mary Chapin Carpenter before)) a recipe of recording in England and engaging prime producer like Hugh Padgham in this case, does not work this time-for me. Perhaps this is my age and tastes but I am disappointed anyway. I'd prefer it to have been done more Americana.
on 26 November 2000
I have seen her live twice and have both of the previous albums. Glimmer is a lot different from the first two but nonetheless once I got over that I loved it. From the first "Can't lose them all" (who can't identify with that!) to the last - its a good 'en. Buy it!
Kim Richey has a wonderful voice and writes equally wonderful songs. She could me a major star but it seems that she doesn't record the kind of music most people want. This album is not easily categorized but I would describe it as mellow pop rock. Evidence of Kim's country roots is hard to find (a mandolin appears among the credits but identifying it might be challenging) although some people will classify this as an alt-country album. The album requires playing a few times to really be appreciated - a characteristic shared by many predominately mellow albums. So in some ways I can understand the mixed reviews this album gets but as far as I'm concerned this is brilliant.
Hugh Padgham, a noted pop-rock producer who has worked with Sting and Phil Collins among others, produced the album using a variety of musicians. The instruments credited (some several times) include drums, percussion, bass, acoustic bass, moog bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, keyboards, Hammond b-3, piano, accordion, harmonica, cello, violin, viola and that mandolin I mentioned earlier. Personally, I think the album would have worked equally well with far fewer instruments, but Hugh did a great job and he still remembered that Kim's voice is the most important instrument of all.
The sons include Can't lose them all (a song of hope), Other side of town (about hiding from familiar people), Come around (wanting to rekindle an old flame) and many other great songs too numerous to mention in detail.
If you are able to give this album the repeated plays it deserves, you will surely come to appreciate a truly great singer-songwriter. On the other hand, if you want instant gratification, look for something more suitable.
on 31 May 2000
This took me quite a while to get into. There are someexcellent songs here - of that there is no doubt.
There arehighlights on Glimmer which give an insight into Kims undoubted talent - Other Side Of Town and The Way It Never Was are prime examples.
My belief is that this CD is not as versatile or as unique to make Kim stand out from the rest as with her previous two efforts.
There was once a famous saying Turn Again Whittington. I hope Kim returns to her roots which makes her music awesome and inspiring.
However Kim the artist should not be overlooked she is a wonderful person. If you were to meet her you would feel that you have known her all your life after the first five minutes! END