on 12 July 2015
Attack and Release by the Black keys is one of my favourite releases by the 'keys` it compromises of work by new producer Dangermouse.
You can definitely see the influence regarding the new sound which is still rocky but moving away from the early blues sound.
The single "I got mine" has turned into one of my all time favourite tunes crunching guitar from the start and a killer chorus.
"Lies" shows a more mellow side "Remember me" keeps the pace of the album up and "Psychotic girl" has a beautiful banjo effect which shows off the Black keys skills.

Overall a great album lets hope the 'Keys' keep it up.
on 23 May 2010
This is an absoluty bargain, the cd is excellent of course but for 1 GBP more then the single cd, you get a dvd with the complete Crystal Ballroom concert, 3 music videos, a making of one of these videos and a film about the album being made. Get thsi version while you can!
on 22 April 2008
I can't believe the reviews of this album from some existing black keys fans. Ok the production on this album is a step away from previous albums but is that a bad thing or is it not the band just growing and taking their music on to a new level? I agree that the attraction of their earlier albums is the rawness of the production but this doesn't exactly represent the band selling out and going for No 1 in the charts!!
If I can quote from history, I remember Led Zeppelin III being greeted with reviews of shock horror because it had acoustic tracks but what this album represented was zep moving on to a new level and from their they produced two of the all time best rock albums in IV and Physical Graffiti. Point being, The BKs could go on forever producing the same stuff but would not get much further forward and a band as good as this deserves to be exposed to as wide an audience as possible.
I think the album is good but maybe not as good as earlier outings and agree with W R Donnelly and Mark Davies that this is one of the few band's creating exciting and original music and this just represents them experimenting with new and different sounds. Who knows where the next album might take them.
I'm giving it 5 stars to try and take the ratings up but it's probably truly a 4 star album - for first timers try Magic Potion or the excellent Chulahoma.
on 18 March 2008
I must admit, I was a bit, for want of a better word, dubious about The Black Keys teaming up with producer Dangermouse, on this, their 4th "proper album". No need to be. Although it was put together in a studio, as opposed to their basement, the Keys have managed to keep the trademark blues and riffs that I fell in love with the moment I first heard them. Nice one lads...you may even have made a sweeter song than The Lengths, in "Things aint like they used to be".
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2008
I like this album but for me it suffers in comparison with what's gone before. As another reviewer says, it does seem a little over-produced and I think it sounds quite mellow and restrained in places. I suppose they've done the raw-blues-retro thing before (brilliantly) but if you only buy one Black Keys album I think the best place to start is either Rubber Factory or Thickfreakness.
This is my first Black Keys album. A purchase inspired by some very positive reviews coupled with a description of music which sounded very much like my cup of tea, I bought it and I wasn't disappointed. This is extremely good music. Although existing Black Keys fans seem to be divided about 'Attack And Release', I have no previous album with which to compare this to, so all I can do is take it at face value and talk about it as an individual piece of work rather than in the context of their other releases. That may be a good or bad thing. Still, I like what I hear and I hear elements of raucous White Stripes (back when they were at their best) with added blues-fueled soul and classic heavy rock sensibilities.

There are, without a doubt, some absolutely fantastic tracks on offer here. The raw 'I Got Mine' gets the head nodding and feet tapping. 'Strange Times' boast a classic, memorable riff coupled with a short, but classy chorus. The banjo-led swamp blues opening of 'Psychotic Girl' is both simultaneously creepy and enthralling. 'Same Old Thing' has a slight Jethro Tull feel to it - and, for the record, that's a good thing. 'Oceans and Streams' has an absolutely phenomenal powerful beat to it and a true raw appeal. The last track, 'Things Aint What They Used To Be', featuring 19-year old country singer Jessica Lea Mayfield on vocals, is perhaps the most conventional song on the album and yet really thrills, with the prominent organ and dreamy guitar solo.

'Lies' and 'Remember When (Side A)' are probably the only tracks on the album I don't care for too much and, while perhaps a little dull and derivative, they are the exceptions to the rule on what is a very enjoyable release. In fact, listening to this album makes me want to buy more Black Keys albums, so it can't be bad. Perhaps they have lost a few old fans with this album, but they've gained a new one in me.
on 2 April 2008
I'm a huge Black Keys fan, as i'm sure most of the people reading this review will alredy be. They're a band with a massive underground following, who have never quite crossed-over into the mainstream... which is not necessarily a bad thing. If you have any doubts about the credentials of this band, go and see them live. They will blow you away.

Now: Attack and Release...
It's worth pointing out that this album was not originally intended as a Black Keys project. Basically, producer Danger Mouse (of Gnarls Barkley fame) enlisted the Black Keys as backing band for a project he was working on with legendary bluesman Ike Turner. Turner died before the album was completed, and so Dan and Pat took on this project as their own and released it as Attack and Release. The thing is, Danger Mouse (aka Brian Joseph Burton) originally enlisted the Black Keys because of the pared-down, analogue sound they were capable of producing, and this shows on Attack and Release. It's much closer in sound to their earlier work on The Big Come Up, very gritty, raw blues-rock. Dan's impossibly soulful voice really shines on this album, much much more so than on Rubber Factory and Magic Potion, where the instruments very much took centre stage. This doesn't mean that the instruments take a back seat on this album - Dan's guitar work is as masterful as ever, and Pat continues to show that he is one of the very best rock drummers out there today - it's just that they're perhaps turned down a notch or two and given a slightly more soulful twist. Burton's production too is quite noticeable, with the introduction of the odd banjo here and hammond organ there. It's a collabaration that works well. It shows what Black Keys fans have known for years, that they are capable of much more than just the guitar-and-drum blues rock with which they have made a name for themselves. This album, for me, is better than either of the last two releases, and rates right up there with The Big Come Up and Thickfreakness.

Buy it. You won't be disappointed.
on 26 August 2008
I'm not one for long reviews and this time i'm no different. Loved the album, some great tracks: Strange Times, Lies & Things Ain't What They Used To Be being current faves. Think Dangermouse's involvement has bought a good new angle to The Black Keys sound. Great Stuff as always.
on 3 April 2008
I can honestly say that i havent heard a song by the black keys which i dont like; however this album is lacking something. Since the big come up i've found their albums have, mainly, got better each time and with rubber factory being the strongest of the lot i would've hoped attack and release followed the same pattern as magic potion and rubber factory. By this i mean 1 or 2 slow songs that are really brilliant, such as the lengths and you're the one; but the album seems to be dominated by songs in between the slower and quicker paced ones they have written. Overall its well worth buying but it does lack some of the reasons why i loved there older stuff so much; and for anyone reading this review with attack and release being the first keys album you've bought, think of it this way: you just bought an amazing album and if you buy anymore of their stuff its pretty much all better, so you can't lose.
on 2 December 2011
Attack & Releasevery good album I heard a couple of song for the black keys over a period of three days in different settings and liked what I'd heard so I thought I'd purchase some of their music it didn't disappoint