5.0 out of 5 stars A great contribution
Published on 27 Nov. 2004 by Peter Uys

3.0 out of 5 stars disappointing
great songs but poor rendition on cd - disappointed. Big fan of squeeze in 70's and 80's - the songs stand the test of time but the standard of the recordings on this cd by modern standards are woeful
Published on 4 Jan. 2013 by P. Bradshaw

5.0 out of 5 stars A great contribution, 27 Nov. 2004
Peter Uys "Toypom" (Sandton) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Squeeze had its roots in the same UK lyricism and wit as late 1970s Elvis Costello. These charming songs succeed through their deft characterisation and catchy tunes. There is also plenty of stylistic variety, from the plaintive rock of Goodbye Girl to the out and out country of Labelled With Love. Other great songs here include Tempted, Pulling Mussels From The Shell, Up The Junction, Tale Me I'm Yours, Hourglass, King George Street and Trust Me To Open My Mouth. This is fine pop music, quirky and charming, especially when Squeeze go into story-telling mood as on Labelled With Love. The sound is peculiarly British but the songs have universal appeal. Squeeze emerged during the punk revolution but they outlived that era and their memorable songs have stood the test of time very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Very Cool For Cats!, 20 Sept. 2000
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Originally released around a decade ago, this album chronicles the evolution of the band, from the hard sounds of the late 70's (Take Me, I'm Yours, Cool for Cats) to the refined, pop sound of the late 80's (Hourglass etc). As someone who had never hear dany Squeeze until a few weeks ago, this album provides the variety and originality needed to soothe the new listener, whilst stir and rouse the die hard fans as well! When Crowded House's Greatest hits came out a number of years ago, the advertising slogan was something like 'it's amazing how many Crowded House songs you know'... wsell, in my opinion, this can also be applied to Squeeze. Labelled with love, Black Coffee in Bed, Up the Junction and Another Nail In My Heart to name a few. In the words of the first track... 'Take Me I'm Yours, because dreams are made of this'... Top marks to Difford and Tilbrook!

5.0 out of 5 stars awesome, 19 Feb. 2007
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
i may only be 19 yrs old and probably not really old enough to know them properly, but they were an awesome band. i love every single song of theirs. its still ace now. so go, go buy it. u will love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Sample this and you'll be hooked, 2 April 2011
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
File under Unsung Heroes - Squeeze can have a right go at the title of the UK's most under-appreciated pop/rock band of the last 30 years. This collection showcases their finest moments, from the sublime Annie Get Your Gun and Is That Love to the great cockney rock of Cool for Cats, Up the Junction and Take Me I'm Yours. Notwithstanding the geezer personas, Tilbrook and Gifford are gifted songsmiths, and this is one seriously good compilation. Look out for Last Time Forever, an undiscovered classic. A must buy cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars quality always stands the test of time, 20 April 2010
s "s" (north west) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I watched Squeeze far too many years ago at the Liverpool Royal Court.Three things stood out,the amazing voice of Glenn Tilbrook,the amazing Jools Holland on Piano and then the appalling language from Jools that continued throughout the entire concert!The music has stood the test of time because the quality of the band shines thro' on every track.This album is at a giveaway price,worth every penny and i just hope Squeeze carry on entertaining is their own unique,quirky way that wants you to hear them time and time again.It's wrong to highlight individual tracks 'cos the whole CD is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars A little bit of Slap and Tickle, 21 Jan. 2009
Big Bertha (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
I saw Squeeze in concert in 1981 when I suppose they were at the height of their popularity.
This CD brought it all back, it's a 'must buy' for not just the original fans but new fans too.

A great collection of all their hits, some real gems including Tempted, Take me I'm yours, Slap and Tickle, Up the Junction, Goodbye Girl and many more.

I remember most of the tracks on this CD, all of my favourites are there, catchy tunes where the lyrics actually meant something and amazingly I found I remembered most of them. I'd forgotten how great they were!

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 28 Mar. 2010
William Murphy "murpho" (scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Hadn't listened to Squeeze in years, in fact, I was never really a big fan of them when they were around! On listening to this, however, I realised just what I was missing - superb album that stands the test of time really well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Because dreams are made of this, 20 Feb. 2013
Hal Marshall "It wasn't me!" (Brentwood) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
This has been one of my very favourite 'Greatest Hits' CDs for twelve years now. In fact there was a jazz band playing a medley of the tracks on this album during my wedding reception in 2000. Well, I say 'jazz band' - it was one bloke on washboard while his mate performed artistic wonders with his organ. Our first dance was to 'Is That Love?', the irony of those lyrics obviously being largely overlooked in our instrumental skiffle version.

This disc has its duff tracks, as virtually all 'Greatest Hits' discs invariably do. In this case, I would myself only put the last two tracks, 'If It's Love' and 'Love Circles' in that category. And that's only because they can in no way compare with the the likes of 'Hourglass' and 'Trust Me To Open My Mouth' that immediately precede them. It does make sticking the thing on to play random tracks rather unappealing. I fell foul of that big style anyway, towards the very end of that marriage. She'd been at work, I was in the bedroom. This disc was in the CD player. She was surprised, she told me. And why wouldn't she be? There was something large and impressive in my hand... yes, that's right - the remote control for the stero. I was supposed to press the button and unleash track one, 'Take Me I'm Yours' upon the scene. Which would have been classy, in its own way. Except that I managed to get my buttons mixed up and instead the bedroom reverberated to the sound of 'Tempted'. Oh my giddy aunt. You'd think the fact I was lying there naked would have backed up my story of spurious randomisation, but no. There followed an interrogation to rival those of MI6, so intent was she on discovering precisely whose fruit I had been tempted by. I wish I hadn't been naked at the time... there was far too much talk of 'seedless grapes' and 'miniature bananas' for my liking. Surprisingly enough, we divorced not long after that. But I made sure I kept this CD. It's fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect pop songs, 9 Nov. 2012
P. G. Harris - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Back in the 80s, I used to own a cassette of Squeeze's Greatest Hits. With the switch to CD and downloads, I largely forgot about them, apart from the odd track (normally Up the Junction or Cool for Cats) turning up on a compilation. Then a couple of weeks ago they were the topic of a documentary on BBC 3, inspiring me to order this album.

It is absolutely fabulous, a collection of perfectly crafted pop songs, most of them telling brilliantly evocative, bitter sweet, stories of young urban or suburban love. Lyrically, Squeeze occupy a very similar territory to Madness, describing the minutiae of working class life in London, with the odd exotic diversion. Madness take the listener on a Night Boat to Cairo, Squeeze visit the desert in Take me I'm Yours.

Musically there is a range of styles from the slick 70s American soul of Black Coffee, (close your eyes and you'll see the matching suits and synchronised dancing), through the rawer soul of Tempted, a song with an irresistible momentum, to the country and western of Labelled with Love and the jive of Annie Get your Gun.

All of the favourites are here, including the plainly bonkers Cool for Cats, the romp of Slap and Tickle, the summer anthems of Goodbye Girl and Pulling Mussels from aShell. Despite massive over exposure, Up the Junction survives as a sublime soap opera of lost love.

The selection ends with songs with which I wasn't previously familiar, but which are a joy to discover, such Hourglass or Footprints.

So, as a collection of witty, very british, catchy pop tunes, this is wonderful. If you have forgotten how brilliant Squeeze were and are, or if, amazingly, you are new to them, do yourself a favour. This album is an absolute treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff., 5 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Greatest Hits (Audio CD)
Squeeze is one of those bands where (way back when) I would hear a track of theirs on the radio and say "hey, that's pretty good!", but never actually got around to buying any of their records. I guess I had less free cash in those days too.

While browsing in Asda the other day I came across this CD, with "Take Me I'm Yours" as the first track. I've been remembering that tune for 32 years without ever knowing it was a Squeeze song! I recognized a couple of other titles too, e.g. "Up the Junction" and "Cool for Cats", the rest was not familiar, but for this price it was enough.

Now that I've listened to the whole thing several times I must say this is one of the best CDs I've ever bought. Every track on here I rate individually as 4 or 5 stars, it really is quality stuff. The Squeeze style seems to good honest catchy songs, done really well without any flash or bling. I can't recommend this enough - for lovers of real music, of all ages.

Greatest Hits