5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant.
Published on 10 Oct 2005 by Paul Larkin

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving it 3.5
Published 1 month ago by R. Murray

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 10 Oct 2005
Paul Larkin (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
This is an exceptional album. I'm not a fan of The Stone Roses particularly, but the Seahorses' sound is quite different. A beautiful-sounding acoustic guitar (I believe played by singer Chris Helme) provides all the chords, backed by excellent drumming and bass work, and then of course we have Squire on lead guitar, constantly mesmerising us with an endless array of soaring melodic meanderings. I don't think he plays a single power-chord in the whole album - it's all single note stuff! This arrangement, when combined with the catchy, fun songwriting style, really works, and EVERY track on the album is fantastic. Chris Helme puts in a great vocal performance, his style fitting in perfectly. The production was apparently done by some big-name producer and you can really tell - it sounds very nice.
What a shame it was their only album...

5.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 7 Jan 2003
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
I have seen many reviews for this album, most of which seem to score it really low. I can only think that these people are Stone Roses fans that think that whatever John Squire does should resemble the Roses (don't get me wrong though, I'm a Stone Roses fan myself). In truth this album is a great mix of catchy guitar riffs and good (if slightly surreal at times) lyrics, and if given some time I'm sure you will grow to love. Stand out tracks are Blinded by the Sun, Suicide Drive, Love is the Law (great Squire solo ending) and Round the Universe which all make the album worthwhile. All I'm asking is you give this one a chance and don't just reject it because it's not the Stone Roses

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Listen To This, 13 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
I bought this album the day it came out, and it still holds a special place in my heart. It has been 'round the world with me and even my Redneck friends are driving 'round in their pickups along the highways of Texas howling to "Love is the Law"!. Yes, it is a good album to drive to and to chill out to. But it is more than this. The lyrics will never have the deep and dark meanings of the Roses, but for me this is a well needed new perspective on what Squires is capable of. The riffs and the guitar solos (especially in the extented version of "Love is the Law") drove the crowds wild in Leeds V98, and still maintain the unique strand of guitar playing that only Squires can evoke. But Chris Helme's singing (particularly in "Hello") are inspiring and dedicated. That is a voice which should not be left to the streets. Keep your eye out for the Gallagher influence of "Love me and Leave me", written about the Gallagher's mother, and of course "Blinded by the Sun" - an anthem for our generation. Get yourself a full size mirror, and pull out that air-guitar. If that was an anticlimax for you....next time, Do It Yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Number 1 Album, 21 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
'The Seahorses' not the world biggest known band, this should change, this album is fantastic. I bought it in 1997, I am now onto my third copy! Each track offers a different mood, with rock to jump around to and slower songs to chill to, you really can not go wrong! Chris Helme the lead singer has an excellent indie band voice with the guitar talent provided by stone roses John Squire, plus a song in there written by a Gallagher, a perfect mixture of indie at it's best!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this album!, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Do It Yourself (MP3 Download)
Every track is a classic! Still sounds fresh, great lyrics and great music to. Turn it up to the max!

5.0 out of 5 stars Do it yourself, 24 April 2014
This review is from: Do It Yourself (MP3 Download)
This is one of the best albums i've ever had, i have it on cd but needed it on my phone as it is just the best..!!

5.0 out of 5 stars great music, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
I have loved both of these band when i was growing up so it was good to sit back and listen to them again

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 10 Oct 2013
This review is from: Do It Yourself (MP3 Download)
Great Album and MP3 process is excellent I use this on my android phone and have not encountered any issues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 15 Nov 2012
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
Great album with some great tracks, not as good as the Stone roses but worth purchasing if you like your 90's music

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm giving it 3.5, 14 Aug 2014
R. Murray (Brighton) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Do It Yourself (Audio CD)
There is much to enjoy on this album and I, personally, think Chris Helme's songs are great. The highlights on this album for me are Blinded By The Sun, Boy in the Picture, Love is the Law, 1999 and Hello. The rest of the songs are ok but have little memorable about them. John Squire's guitar work is good but the highlight for me is Helme's voice. How he is not a major star is a mystery to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›