5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and beautiful and honest
Published on 8 Dec 2001 by Victoria Culver

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as I expected, very poor
THIS C.d didn't arrive in the condition that I was expecting and was consequently led to believe by the seller. The C.D case was in a very poor condition and was broken in two places. I had to replace this. The actual C.D. was marked and scratched and I had to have it cleaned before I gave it as a gift. Very bad seller in my opinion as the cd was supposed to be 'as new'
Published on 4 Jan 2011 by Suzie Q

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless and beautiful and honest, 8 Dec 2001
Victoria Culver (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have had this cd for a few years and have loved the Beautiful South ever since I first heard "I'll Sail this Ship Alone". Now, so many years later I am addicted again. I call up friends and say "here, listen to this", or "let me read you these lyrics" and instead of brushing me off as an annoyance the response is "Wow, that is beautiful, who is it?". I cannot even begin to describe the intense joy and release I receive from these songs, it is an emotional and artistic experience that you will never forget. Buy this cd as an intro and you will immediatly return to buy the rest.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful!, 6 May 2004
What a wonderful album! I must admit that I like the earlier Beautiful South songs and not really interested in the later ones.
I have never heard some of these songs before but was addicted to them as soon as I heard them.
The problem with some of the 'souths' songs is that the words are not clear and that's where the CD's book comes in handy. Did I really hear the words "the camera man slipped, they later found him scolding a banana"?
Wacky lyrics to some songs. Excellent! But it now!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris talks about Carry On Up The Charts, 29 Jun 2002
I'll guide you through each song, but before I do I'd like to say Heaton is a genius!
1) SONG FOR WHOEVER: A nice opening to their greatest hits c.d, the first song the ever released back in 1989. It reached Number 2 in the charts, not bad eh? The song itself seems to be a mockery of mingy little pop-groups, something the South are often misrepresented as.. NO WAY!
2) YOU KEEP IT ALL IN: This has been and probably always will be my favourite tune. Something about it gets your feet tapping.. enough said! Again, released in 1989, this reached Number 8.
3) I'LL SAIL THIS SHIP ALONE: Reached Number 31 in 1989, but should have gotten higher. Maybe Heaton's lyrics are "too" subtle?!
4) A LITTLE TIME: A popular South song. The South's first Number 1, in 1990. And I can see/hear why!
5) MY BOOK: At Number 43 this was something of a let down.. but don't let that put you off the song! Its a fabulous deep and theological autobiography by Paul.
6) LET LOVE SPEAK UP ITSELF: One of the best in terms of lyrics. My favourite for a very long time!! Got to Number 51 in 1991, under-rated by far!
7) OLD RED EYES IS BACK: One of many South songs to come about alcoholics, and we wonder why? Very clever song. Reached Number 22 in 1992.
8) WE ARE EACH OTHER: Another clever song about a couple being so close to each other, they are each other! Brilliant! And a catchy tune too. Reached Number 30 in 1992.
9) BELL BOTTOMED TEAR: Reached Number 16 in 1992. This song gives a perfect melody of female and male vocals. Its superb!
10) 36D: Well what can I say? A song about prostitution and all round "shallowness." This is a catchysong that deseved higher than 46 in 1992.
11) GOOD AS GOLD (stupid as mud): After a year off, this reached Number 23 in 1994. Not their best work, but whats my opinion?!
12) EVERYBODYS TALKIN': The only song on this side which Heaton and Rotheray did not write, but with lyrics just as clever! Number 12 in 1994.
13) PRETTIEST EYES: My Mum got me into this one when it was first released back in 1994, reaching Number 37. Fabulous song. Worth a sing-a-long too!
14) ONE LAST LOVE SONG: Ooh.. this is good!! Very good! Reached Number 14 in 1994, and stayed in the charts for 5 weeks. This song is pure talent.
ps: If you are lucky enough to get the Limited Edition of this cd, which has an extra cd, listen out for songs such as Diamonds, Trevor You're Bizarre, I Started A Joke and Woman In The Wall, all of which are genius!
Chris :o)

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the beautiful south!, 14 April 2000
By A Customer
my sister recommended this album to me and after listening to it once i instanly fell in love with the beautiful south, i then went out and bought all thier other albums including there previous house martins album "now thats what i call quite good" the lyrics are brilliant, the vocals are brilliant and the band is brilliant! a must have for all music lovers and an excellent introdution to the beautiful south! well done to the yorkshire wonders!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful., 19 Jun 2002
Paul Heaton and Dave Rotheray of The Beautiful South are the second most successful songwriting duo in British Chart History (after Lennon/McCartney - just stop and think about that for a moment), and with this album, you can see why. A collection of beautiful, wonderous songs which happen to have lyrics that mean something, unlike most bands; what is often called "iron fist in a velvet glove". Everyone must know at least one of these tracks - Song For Whoever ("Jennifer, Alison, Philippa, Sue") is a marvellous satire into a songwriter's art (they're doing it for money, not love); I'll Sail This Ship Alone, a magnificently sung tune all about splitting up; A Little Time, a Number One hit single featuring a biting duet between the gorgeous Irish lilt of Briana Corrigan and the mild-mannered tones of Dave Hemingway: a man making excuses for being unfaithful and his wife having none of it; We Are Each Other, with a lovely guitar riff running through it; 36D, a catchy little rant against the tyranny of topless modelling ("Close your legs, open your mind..."); and the piano heavy Let Love Speak Up Itself, featuring Paul "NME-called-me-the-best-soul-singer-in-Britain" Heaton's best-ever, tortuous vocals.
The normal process with this band (and I didn't realise it happened to others until it had happened to me) is that you hear this album, and within two months you have bought every single other album they have done (I recommend "Quench" and "Miaow" by the way). This is the one to get first, though, and you shouldn't hesitate to buy it if you're not sure. You'll hate yourself if you do.
Oh, one last thing: the penultimate track on this CD, Prettiest Eyes, is the most beautifully perfect piece of music ever performed ever. Fact. A lovely, slow melody about how age doesn't wither love - the man ascribing each wrinkle on his lover's face to a moment in their lives together. It's what love is really all about, and it's the best song ever written.
andrew

4.0 out of 5 stars A great little number!, 4 Dec 1999
By A Customer
For everyone - whether fans or not, Carry on Up the Charts is a treat. All their singles on one album. Of course it is a little out of date 'cos now the band have been around for 10 years and have released even more great tracks since the release of this album, but for those who like the singles but don't want the albums this is a great buy.

4.0 out of 5 stars The best of the first 5 years, 31 Jan 2007
D. Evans "dantheman95" (Southport) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
With the news that The Beautiful South have elected to split up following their most recent single entering the singles chart at 99, it is perhaps time to re-evaluate the considerable contribution that the band made to the 1990s music scene. Paul Heaton once famously described his group as everyone's second favourite band,this could explain the huge success of this best of album released in 1994. It was doubtful that the album was expected to be quite as successful as it was. But with so many catchy singles and ofcourse a great title, it proved a huge success. Although it contains familar songs such as their 1990 number 1, A Little Time, and Song For Whoever, there is no Rotterdam or Perfect 1o. These can be found on a later best of. Nevertheless this is a recommended album.

5.0 out of 5 stars beautiful south, 7 July 2014
This review is from: Carry On Up The Charts (MP3 Download)
One of my all time favourite albums

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant., 6 Sep 2013
My original copy of this was the double CD version, the first disc with the hits on it just stopped playing one day, so i have bought it again. I have the Gold double CD best of which is great and has their later hits on it as well, but i have to have Carry On because i am so used to listening to the first disc on it in its track order which is different on Gold.

Carry On is just an amazing best of, no surprise its been so popular. My favourite British group of the last 20 years easily, still amazed they werent even more popular than they were. A must have compilation for all. 10 out of 10.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful music, 20 July 2013
Awesome music, very fast delivery! Only things missing are rotterdam and perfect 10 cause there brilliant songs.. no scratches or anything brilliant!

Carry On Up The Charts