Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£5.99

on 31 July 2004
When I bought Baduizm, it was the first time I'd really ventured out of the kind of music that my friends had influenced me into listening to. I read an article about her in Hip-Hop Soul, and thanks to a bit of spare money I impulsively decided to buy her album. I wasn't totally sure what to expect, I'd just heard a lot of positive things about her.
And I was not disappointed. There's something quite magical about Erykah Badu. Her voice alone is enough to soothe the soul, her songs create a feeling of total laid back relaxation. Personal faourites are the blissful, mellow tones of On & On, the strangely uplifting and inspiring Appletree and Certainly, which is a great song to listen to when you've been turned down by a member of the opposite sex and need a little clarity as to why they might have turned you down - you'll see what I mean when your there.
Anyway, Baduizm was enough to turn a regular kid into an open-minded music fan - I'm currently saving up for Who is Jill Scott? and Worldwide Underground so I can explore this music more. Sensational album.
0Comment21 of 22 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2008
This album was one of my first tastes of a new genre of music.

I cant recommend this enough, very deep insightful. The tunes kinda flow togther and they are masterfully crafted.

I personaly love to stick this on late at night after a hards days work, get some candles on, turn off the lights and maybe a crafty smoke chill and chat to friends or that special person.

The more you listen the more it grows on you. Its uniqueness is part of its charm and i couldnt imagine anyone not rating this as immense.

Enjoy listneing if you purchase it.
on 28 November 2000
Badu's voice is indictive of seeping treacle. It can evoke the most intimate memories while still retaining an unmistakeable individuality. Baduizm holds many gems of vocal expression, such as "four leaf clover" and "other side of the game" and contrasts them with philosophical anecdotes like, "on & on". Badu takes her listeners through a journey rife with ambiguity. The issues of love, money, morals, ambition and loyalty are all expressed with diverging origionality and varying styles of soul and blues. The listener is left soothed, yet awakened by her talents of rhythm and philosophy that are inextricably combined. A beautiful way to deal with the world.
on 27 May 2006
I bought this album some years ago based purely on a short clip of "On & On". I was keen to expand my (admittedly limited) knowledge of modern soul/jazz and felt that Erikah Badu was someone who's music could help to achieve this. Her debut album certainly doesn't disappoint. She manages to combine modern R&B and soul with old school jazz and a hint of blues that is so unique it actually demands attention. Listen to the brief clips on Amazon (a few times if need be) and you'll be hooked too. If you're after a more 'modern' bass sound then check out her second album 'Mama's Gun' - it's just as phenomenal. Her music is also an excellent choice for background music - so much so that guests will almost always break off a conversation to enquire who the artist is.
on 15 November 1999
This is a great, funky cd. Somewhere between jazz and rhythm and blues it has an incredible beat and Erykah's voice is completely unique. It is something between Lauryn Hill, Janet Jackson, and Desiree all rolled into one. Unfortunately, Erykah hasn't come out with anything new for such a long time! If you like the funkier kind of sound, this cd is definitely for you. I particularly like "Next Lifetime" and "4 Leaf Clover". Erykah sings about some real life messages, which is also refreshing to hear. This is certainly a cd worth buying.
on 6 November 2000
The first thing that hits you when you hear Baduizm is Erykah's amazing voice - it's so effortless. However, the songs are very good too.
The first proper song is On and On and what a song it is. One of the highlights of the album, for me anyway, is Afro (Freestyle Skit) and it showcases her voice perfectly. There's also the cracking Certainly and No Love.
Buy this album and if you want mor of the same stuff, you shoud ttry Jill Scott's excellent album, as bith are very similair and both are excellent
on 22 January 2005
The first time I experienced this album was at a barbeque some years back. The perfect setting for the hypnotic vibes to emanate. Worked on me anyway, as I bought the album not long after (album no. 2 of my collection at the time). That collection stands at nigh-on 400 right now, and Baduizm is still on rotation. Her voice is intoxicating, and the instrumentation attention-grabbing. This album is a neo-soul classic. Claims of Jill Scott being Ms Badu's successor are understandable, but not necessarily true. Scott brings an earthiness to the game, but lacks Badu's dulcet finesse. Favourites would have to be Appletree, Otherside, Drama, and of course, On & On. Buy the album, then buy Baduizm live to take your appreciation of this album to a whole other level.
on 29 August 2006
So much passes for soul music that isn't.

"Baduizm" slipped out onto the scene in 1997 as a debut that contained classy soul-jazz, perfectly delivered.

From the stunning single "on and on" to the ice-cold "certainly" to the charming "four leaf clover" this is a self-assured classic debut, comparable with soul standard classics.

Subtle yet compelling, this album has yet to be matched by any of her contemporaries and even by Ms. Badu herself.
on 19 February 2000
When I first heard this album, I thought it was annoying. Now having heard it about 100 times, I absolutely love it. It's funky and cool. I can't describe it as a mixture of artists because it's unique. Give it time and it will grow on you. This album should be recognised by many people as a brilliant work!
on 30 July 2008
I remember this album when I was very young in the 90s and I really, really loved this album although it was my dad's because he loves this album very much and I love those tune called..'Rimshot', 'On and On and 'Appletree'.
Now, this was a good album to listening to in summer time and for me to tidy up my place and relax.
A good beat and basslines. Erykah Badu is an amazing vocalist. I like her voice!

This is the best album that I have ever imagined.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse