5.0 out of 5 stars Think of it as just a Live CD
That is, if you already have the album, as many of us do. You get 17 live songs from a artist arguably at his peak - I was lucky enough to attend one of these shows in 1978 and it was fantastic. The show from Washington doesn't quite match up to my recollection but it's still great stuff and a joy to hear.

Tim
Published on 12 April 2008 by Mr. T. Anderson

1.0 out of 5 stars This Year's Reissue
Much as I love This Year's Model - Nick Lowe's pin-sharp but punchy production hasn't dated at all - I won't be shelling out on this repackage. This must be the fourth version on CD now at least! What are we supposed to do with previous versions now supposedly rendered obsolete by this latest 'definitive' issue (until the next one comes along in 2010)? And experience has...
Published on 14 Feb 2008 by Obadiah Horseflesh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Think of it as just a Live CD, 12 April 2008
Mr. T. Anderson "onlyconnect" - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)

Tim

5.0 out of 5 stars you don't have to buy it!!!, 9 April 2008
Richard Jackson (London, England) - See all my reviews
I can see why some people are dismayed by multiple issues of Costello's back catalogue, but come on, nobody is forcing you to buy them all. And it seems to me, a keen collector of his work, that each issue has contained important new bonus material. And often overall sound quality has improved too. I wanted to hear the 1978 concert (I saw Elvis and the Attractions at the Dominion, Tottenham Court Road around that time). It's exciting, and worth the price of admission.

I hope EC continues to allow the release of material from the vaults for those of us who want to collect it!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm on this album I am, 12 Oct 2010
The basslines on this album are really amazing, powerful and sublime like a tiger running through a jungle of chord changes. A must buy for all of my fans, I drafted in a bloke called Declan something or other to sing and he didn't do a half bad job, a good foil to bottom end eplorations.
Your Hero
Bruce

5.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated Punk, 9 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: This Year's Model (Audio CD)
The first, and arguably the best ever, Elvis Costello & the Attractions album (the first Elvis Costello album, "My Aim is True", was recorded without the "oomph" of the Attractions). 22 years on from the original recording, the raw emotion of the music and lyrics still hits a nerve. If this album is not in your Elvis Costello collection then you're missing a vital piece of the Costello puzzle. It's worth buying for one track alone on the extended play, "Radio, Radio". The English DJs loved it - but then (surprise, surprise) they never really listened to it - more fool them! I strongly urge you to buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsurpassed, 24 May 2010
Mulwharchar (Hereford, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: This Year's Model (Audio CD)
Elvis Costello has made many great albums during his prolific career but 'This Year's Model' was the one that really established the Elvis Costello persona: the whip-sharp, sardonic observer with an effortless command of his influences - 60s beat, power pop and garage - which his new wave contemporaries could only dream of. There's not a bad track here and 32 years on it's astonishing how fresh and urgent it still sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Basically, it comes down to this..., 8 Sep 2008
M. Oxby "victheviking" (Messingham, UK) - See all my reviews
...if you're a huge EC fan, you've got most of this material. However, there are a lot of new, eager, young fans out there, just discovering (or on the verge of discovering) some really good stuff from the late 70s. If I was one of those new, eager, young fans, I'd want to get my hands on a lot of the material very quickly - not just the usual album stuff, but the peripheral recordings that were being made at the time the albums were being made. This is a brilliant introduction. If you have all this stuff already, you don't have/need to buy it! If you don't have the stuff, and you're keen to learn... BUY IT! Probably, the best album EC ever made, with lots of extra material on top. But bear in mind you shouldn't overlook "My Aim is True", or "Get Happy". Do you know what? "Painted from Memory" (released 1999) is pretty damn fine too. Anyway, if you're a newbie fan - get this! If you're a die-hard old fan, don't get so bloody worked up about it. You go out to work to make a living, don't you? So does our El.

5.0 out of 5 stars Market forces and choice, 2 April 2008
Neil Dyson (Norfolk, England) - See all my reviews
This is a classic album, there is absolutely no doubt about that, the production, the performance, the energy and the emotion on the album has rarely been equalled let alone surpassed by anyone.

So it's been issued a few times before, the purpose of these reviews is to focus on the actual product not the motive behind its release. The product is stunning quality and value, if you disagree with the bare bones of the album being released for the 4th (or is it the 5th) time that should not detract from the sheer quality of this album. Simple fact is, if you already have a previous incarnation of the album and you don't want the extras that this release brings then don't buy it, if you are interested in reading the extended liner notes, or if you want to hear the previously unreleased tracks (more tracks "extra" than there was on the original album) then join me and celebrate all things Elvis. If you don't already own the album all I can say is "why not?"

5.0 out of 5 stars Blast from the past, 1 April 2014
helonwheels (Northumberland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Year's Model (Audio CD)
Heard the LP being reviewed on Johhnie Walker's Thursday evening show and just had to buy it.

I have it on vinyl and hadn't heard it for 20 years and it was just as good as I remembered.

Delivery was sooner than expected and packaging was good

5.0 out of 5 stars True classic, 25 July 2013
Absolute classic album in which every song is a winner. An angry Elvis follows the equally brilliant 'My Aim Is True' with an album stuffed full of brilliant songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars rock on, 29 Mar 2013
Mr. S. A. Lambert "soulman" (darlington, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Year's Model (Audio CD)
excellent product , great price , mint songs , a must for elvis fans , cant believe it was the 70,s

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›