Unlike the slightly inferior version of the album currently available in America, the UK release (which only mentions Dolly on the top of the cover) is a straight re-issue of the original album, with six duets and four solo tracks - two each by Kenny (Silent night and The Christmas song) and Dolly (White Christmas and a medley of Winter wonderland and Sleigh ride). I see that this review also appears on the inferior American version, which credits Kenny and Dolly on the top of the cover, but replaces Kenny's solo tracks with Dolly's Hard candy Christmas.

The solo tracks are excellent but it is the six duets that make this album stand out among my many wonderful Christmas albums. Dolly wrote five of the songs especially for the album and the other is also an original song. I believe in Santa Claus and With bells on are rollicking, up-tempo songs. Christmas without you is a reflective song about missing somebody. A Christmas to remember is another upbeat song. Once upon a Christmas is a stirring song about the birth of Jesus. The greatest gift of all (the only song among the duets that Dolly didn't write) is a lovely romantic ballad, which was covered a year later by Lee Greenwood for his excellent Christmas to Christmas album.

I have bought many brilliant original Christmas albums but this one remained my favorite for more than twenty years after its release. It's still the best upbeat Christmas album I've heard.
on 4 September 2005
One of the Best Christmas Albums of all-time. I have the C.D ,and the video, and the cassette. I play them every xmas and it just gets better. Dolly wrote most of the Carols and they are as good as the old classics. Great songs ,well sung by Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton. Very seasonal . Love it!!!
on 16 December 2014
Nice songs, of course well sung and I love Dolly's voice. As I am building up a collection of the less usual/traditional Christmas songs, well away from the church choir, symphony orchestra and the run of the mill Pop songs - this is a good addition to my collection.
on 28 April 2014
As usual Kenny and Dolly make you tap and sing along with them as they celebrate Christmas. Happy Tappy and Gentle Soothing songs both are on this albumn but in usual Dolly Kenny style the bring happiness where it's needed - around the Christmas tree.
on 30 October 2002
This is one of the best Christmas albums I have ever heard. There are songs on here to suit all ages from I believe in Santa Clause to Winter Wonderland for the kids to something for the adult listeners like Christmas To Remember. But they have also not forgotten the real reason behind Christmas when they sing Once Upon a Christmas. If you never buy any other Christmas album buy this one.
on 25 December 2012
I first saw this on tv in the 80s and the music really struck a cord with me. I bought it on tape, then cd and now have downloaded it onto my Kindle Fire. I still get that tingly feeling listening to the songs that i got whenever i 1st heard Kenny and Dolly sing them. Sadly i don't have the televised version and would love to see a dvd out :0)
on 6 January 2015
I remember seeing the programme that this cd is taken from many years ago ! One track, ' Christmas without you' has always stayed in my memory. It should, in my opinion, be better known and be one of the all time Christmas 'classics' - it makes you want to dance and cry at the same time ! I wouldnt recommend this track to someone who was spending Xmas without a loved one, you would be in a flood of tears !!! This isn't my usual taste in music ........ but I LOVE this CD. ' With bells on' is another track which I defy anyone not to dance around their living room to !
A lovely Christmas CD which really gets you in the mood for Christmas
on 11 December 2010
We first saw the show in 1985 and fortunately videoed it. We then got the vinyl and then in 1997 got the CD.
We cannot put up our xmas tree without having this playing in the room. That and a glass of wine....Is Xmas.
Come on Dolly and Kenny....have the tape remastered and let us buy it on DVD for our Grandkids !!
Its fabulous and has lost nothing after 25 years of playing .XX
Once Upon a Christmas
on 22 February 2013
Sister-in-law struggled for years with audio tape of this brilliant classic Christmas album, so I went to Amazon and there it was on CD. What a find, sis-in-law delighted, me too as I can easily move to my favourite tracks before she notices. :-). Great service and even better price. Thank you
on 12 April 2013
I try to find new Christmas CD's each year to add to our collection and I was delighted to come across this one. I kept it for a surprise on Christmas Day for my husband and he was over the moon.