Aja

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best
I can remember sitting a car in 1977 when the song 'Deacon Blues' came on the radio. I was instantly mesmerised. Having never heard Steely Dan before I was amazed by the quality and feel of both the song and the recording. I immediately went out and bought the 'LP'. It was this that started my love of the music of Messers Becker and Fagen.
If you are considering your...
Published on 22 Jun 2004

3.0 out of 5 stars Highly accomplished musicianship doesn't guarantee a good album
There's no questioning the musicianship here. Expertly crafted tunes, impeccably performed. The trouble is I don't find the album as enjoyable to listen to as some of their others. I think the music is too cerebral - I like a clever tune but I think some of these tunes are too clever for their own good.

The production is so immaculate that it actually tips the...
Published on 8 Feb 2009 by canon snapper

5.0 out of 5 stars love the band & their music 5, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
I would recommend this to others, listened to the music years ago was very refreshing to hear it again today

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooooooth stuff, 24 Mar 2014
A. Sajip (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
Not their best record, perhaps, but very accomplished nonetheless - great licks from Larry Carlton et al., and although many complain of its polish and shine, it's certainly more than just a cold husk. 'Deacon Blues' is warm and compassionate, 'Black Cow' has a killer bassline, 'Peg' is a perfectly subversive little pop song, and the title track is the Dan at their elegiac prettiest.

I'm not sure it deserves to be their highest-selling album; lyrically, all of their previous ones are more interesting (save perhaps 'The Royal Scam', which is also underrated). But it's a great album nonetheless - their last of the decade. Buy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Lush West Coast Cool, 15 Mar 2014
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
I am in the process of buying vinyl again having got myself a new turntable. Searching through my back cataloged I spin some Steely Dan, albeit a Greatest Hits from the 80s. I like it. A lot, so I go searching through their back cataloge, not actually knowing a single one of their album titles. I settle on Aja, thinking it is one their earliest: Wrong. It a 1977 release. I get the digital download early, as Amazon set up my cloud player, so I can listen immediately! Cool. What a groove! By the time I get the vinyl I just love this album. West Coast cool with a myriad of 70s session players. I am a little deflated when I read the sleeve notes, as this starts me analyzing the track structures. Forget it and let this lush fusion wash over you. The vinyl is a good heavy weight and plays well. Whilst clearly the digital recording is, well, new, I am not sure about the vinly pressing. It seems little better than my 30 year Greatest Hits, and suffers some inner track distortion on Deacon Blues. But this is a minor criticism. My son says "that bloke can't sing!" Perfect. Lush in fact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but wow ..., 8 Mar 2014
This review is from: Aja (MP3 Download)
Yes, an 'old' album, but truly amazing quality. I already had the 'popular' cuts from Aja, but was very surprised when the whole is played through a modern Hi-Fi - well on almost any device really.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just cool., 2 Mar 2014
NickB (South Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (MP3 Download)
Music tastes and styles may come and go , but Fagan and Becker have consistently turned out classy material, this album is no different. It may not have the rockier styles of say Reelin in the Years or Bhodissatva (?), but this album contains some gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 21 Jun 2013
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
Already had the title track on one of Steely Dan's CD's of a live concert. Felt the concert version lacked some clarity, and with crowd cheering in the background, was not to my taste. However, loved this version - one of my all time favourites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Son's music, 8 May 2013
Mr. J. Cooper "big ears" (maidstone kent uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
This is as requested my son is over the moon. as he is a partial invalid i buy under his instructions and can only review what he's passed on to me and he is enjoying the item tremendously

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the most musical of all the Steely Dan albums, 19 April 2013
Mr. W. Allbrook "willduo" (West of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja Remastered (Audio CD)
Although very much of its time Aja is one of those albums that you can treat like an old friend. You may not play it for a couple of years then you go back to it and find you still have so much in common. Beautifully produced if you like Steely Dan I can thoroughly recommend this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Steely Dan,at their best., 16 Feb 2013
Mr. P. Williams "madreader" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Aja (MP3 Download)
I had not heard this album for years but saw a tv programme about how it was recorded.Had to buy it and I am glad I did.One word describes it...brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars AJA, 3 Feb 2013
This review is from: Aja (Audio CD)
Another excellent album from the kings of hippie music, I never knew a band that could make you chill out like these boys.

ARRAY(0xa3948cc0)