5.0 out of 5 stars Classic singer/songwriter fare
Published on 25 Jun 2001 by Dave Leeke

1.0 out of 5 stars CD is fake!! Do not buy from this supplier.
This CD was a fake! Didn't work in any machine and came without the celophane. Do not trust!
Published 1 month ago by Miss C S Hamilton

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic singer/songwriter fare, 25 Jun 2001
Dave Leeke (Orwell River Delta) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This album is a high watermark for early 1970s singer/songwriters. Always a popular one with the cheesecloth wearing fraternity - and not just the ladies - Cat Stevens seemed to hold many of us in his spell for a few years. This is technically better than "Mona Bone Jakon" but the songs on that previous album, for me, are superior. It must have been the (first) near-death experience. However, having bought this recently on CD has allowed me to drive along singing along happily. There are not that many albums from 1970 that I can more-or-less remember all the words to! Maybe that shows how strong the songs are. I don't actually think that the songs are too airy-fairy or hippy. Some of the songs such as the opener "Where Do The children Play?" stand up well today with its anti-pollution lyrics. I was also struck by the amount of mentions of the "Good Book" (sic) and the lyrics to "Miles From Nowhere" mention, "Lord my body has been a good friend, but I won't need it when I reach the end", I guess he wasn't quite so convinced as the seventh wave approached.
It's great to have an absolute classic on CD all sparky bright and sounding great (lending vinyl out in the early 70s was a dangerous hobby)and songs like "Father and Son" and "Wild World" are worth a lot in these days of trite Beatles rehashes. However, I think that if you enjoy this you should explore "Moan Bone Jakon" too.

5.0 out of 5 stars tea for the tillerman, 3 Jan 2005
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I was introduced to cat stevens in the 70's by my Father. As a young child i jollied away to them while he listened. Later I became embroiled in the new romantic scene in the eighties while i was a teenager, Cat stevens seemed so uncool. About ten years ago i rediscovered him and introduced him to my young family. They have all fallen in love with him including my wife who had never heard of him. This album in particular is a masterpiece to anyone who hasn'nt listened to Cat try this first. It is a sublime collection of beautiful songs that will stay in your heart for your entire life.

5.0 out of 5 stars 'for you will still be here tomorrow but your dreams may not', 23 Nov 2009
Deven Gadula (san francisco, ca, united states) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This was Cat Steven's masterpiece and a lot of us had this album recorded on tape with his Teaser And The Firecat on side B. That is how we used to listen to music many years ago so we would not damage our albums (just some extra info you can shock your parents with). Cat Stevens had a huge following because the music of his songs was as powerful as the meaning of his lyrics. Both were simple and beautiful. It all seemed to flow straight out of Cat's heart and the inspiration had started after a serious illness tied him down to a London hospital for a period of many months. Success followed Cat Stevens and showered him and many around him with riches. However, Cat Stevens seemed not strong enough to be able to live the life of stardom and not let the emptiness which comes with it to affect his balanced core (as is often the case).The balance had broken, like the morning has broken and one day, while drowning in the Pacific Ocean he asked God for help, and promised to work towards God's glory if saved. Apparently a huge wave came out of nowhere and carried our singer to shore. That was the beginning of the end, because Cat Stevens meant his promise quite literally, unfortunately for the millions of fans who could have used the perfect way of transmission of his simple golden words. On the other hand, quite frankly, rare are these humans (and it very well may have a lot to do with how unaffected by their so called success they become) whose power of creation doesn't fade away. Personally I find a lot of his later albums without the spirit of Tea For The Tillerman. Perhaps it was time for him to focus on other things in life. I have purchased his music under the Yusuf Islam name and did not find much in it, either. Perhaps I was not able to come up to its level. However, I respect him as a human being tremendously, and I think that when we pull his songs we used to cover out of new editions of our albums and when we start pretending that he did not exist simply because he switched out of our way of life, that is purely a sign of our insecurity and hypocrisy. Remember - we are supposed to be the guardians of freedom. My favorite songs of Cat Stevens are the following: Sad Lisa, The Wind, Where Do The Children Play, Father And Son, If I Laugh, Monshadow, Where Are You, O Caritas, Hard Headed Woman, Oh Very Young, Morning Has Broken, Wild World, Lillywhite, But I Might Die Tonight, Rubbylove, Sitting, Miles From Nowhere, Peace Train, On The Road To Find Out, Northern Wind, Trouble, Longer Boats, Lady D'Arbanville.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another masterpiece, 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
Cat Stevens made a fresh start in 1970, reinventing himself as a folksy singer songwriter after an uncomfortable early career as a pop singer. Tea for the Tillerman was part of an artistic outpouring in 1970 and 71. It is definately up there with some of his best albums, and I'd say runs a close second after his next album Teaser and the Firecat. The music shows how simple acoustic music can be beautiful and enchanting. Opening with a succession of Cat Steven greats, there are many gems, but my favourite has got to be the penultimate song Father and Son. A must have in every collection. Cat Stevens was a great singer songwriter, his songs are so moving and beautiful, he cannot be trumped. If you've never heard of Cat Stevens you're missing out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless Tillerman, 1 Oct 2010
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I was drawn back to Cat Stevens in September 2010 when I watched his concert "Majikat" on More4,and was amazed at rediscovering this musical genius.So I immediately bought Tea For The Tillerman on CD and played it.What a treat....memories of better times came back to me as I listened to this fine musician and singer....

The standout track for me has to be Sad Lisa....such depth of emotion and desperation in the song,at not being able to reach poor devastated Lisa,who "hangs her head and cries on my shirt/she must be hurt very badly".

I also loved Where Do The Children Play?", "Into White",and "Wild World",the latter song a timeless classic.

Cat Stevens should be given a Lifetime Achievement Award for his services to music.Fortunately he has made a bit of a comeback,
with his recent US tour and new album "Roadsinger",but in the 21st Century is perhaps in danger of being relegated to the "oldies"
section of popular music.

This album is a must-have in everyone's record collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars THOUGHT PROVOKING MASTERPIECE, 22 Mar 2001
Michael Bermingham "mjbermingham" (Birr,County Offaly,Ireland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
This is another outstanding album from Cat Stevens which to my judgement is just only surpassed by the 'Teaser' album.From the opening song 'Where do the children play' to the final short 'Tea for the Tillerman' this album has class written all over it.The original version of 'Father and Son' has never been surpassed and the rest of the album after 'Wildworld' and 'Hard headed Woman' is filled with largely unknown gem's.Buy and enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Father and Son, 29 Jun 2003
Mr. Robert Cooper "umgowa" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I bought the album in vinyl when it was first released and I thought it was wonderful. That was around 30 years ago. Now I have bought it on REMASTERED CD and it sounds fresher now than when he first baked it.
This song (Father and Son) is so evocative for anyone who loved their father and realises now that he knew you better than you imagined back then. It also comes home when you are a father yourself and realise that generation gaps exist, but mean very little if the real foundations of the relationship are solid.
Yes, this is very deep. But Cat Stevens was a deep thinker and he wrote some of the best lyrics ever.
He was good enough to have cover versions of his songs (from this album) to be sung by todays artists this century! And the originals are still better.
This song moves me as surely as it ever did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fanbloodytastic, 10 April 2008
Ben Faulkner "Gilmour/Townshend" (Bicester, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
you gotta give it to him, hes a brilliant songwritter. even if your a greatest hits sort of person, you will recognise the hits like wild world and father and son as pure classics. these tracks are brilliant. top knotch. even though the title track is the 1 minute long last track, almost like he finished the album, and they said, at least mention tillermen somewhere. it is a great song. fans of the office and extras will know this song as the theme (im sorry i cant remember which one). also, fans of skins must buy this album, to hear the original version of wild world. granted sids version is very beautiful, and fits into the storyline very well, you gotta hear the original. any fan of boyzone (if any) will remember father and son, its also a beautiful song. he was seriously at his peak with these songs. and infact the album. people. buy this album. you will not regret it. better yet, buy it on vinyl. you cabnt beat it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track's a winner, 30 Jun 2007
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
I grew up with this and "Teaser and the Firecat" as a teenager, as my mum was a huge Cat Stevens fan and played them over and over again.

Thirty years on I own my own copies and play them over and over again! If you have headphones, use them - it really brings out another layer altogether, it's the songs as you know them - but sweeter, fuller and so much more involving with him singing directly into your ears!

These 2 albums belong together, you can't have one without the other.

If you've never owned a Cat cd before, I promise you this is a great place to start - buy this and "Teaser and the Firecat". For me, this was when Cat Stevens was at his absolute best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tea For The Tillerman - BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!, 5 Nov 2007
This review is from: Tea for the Tillerman (Audio CD)
you should buy this album even if you don't like cat Stevens (which you can't really).the album is fantastic. though only 35 minutes long, it's still great. even if you only know Stevens from his hits like: Father And Son or Wild World. buy it just for those. and if you're a Ricky Gervais fan you'll recognise Tea for the Tillerman (last track) as the end song for his show extras. and if any of you watched the end of skins series 1 you'll recognise the song Sid sang as wild world. So for a 5er. Or if you're a die hard fan, like me, get the LP. You can't go wrong with this. It is Stevens at his best. And along with Teaser And The Firecat, it's regarded as his best work.