5.0 out of 5 stars When I Dream
Published on 2 July 2010 by Graham Chapman

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect
Whilst you can't totally rip into this release like some have I do have some problems whith this re-issue.
I really can't understand why this is a three disc issue when all the tracks on discs 2 and 3 could have fitted onto one disc?
Published on 12 July 2010 by Kaleef

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars When I Dream, 2 July 2010
Julian has done lots of good solo stuff and his concerts are still worth going to, but for me this album was always the one. If you are thinking of buying this for the extras, do! I have most of these tracks on vinyl through albums like 'To the Shores of Lake Placid' and the singles and the Teardrops always produced great b sides. Really, their whole output sometimes sounds like b sides. Camera Camera, Use Me, All I Am Is Loving You - boppy, poppy minor songs - the ones that remind you of the era, the ones that still live.

The Teardrops always had humour - not like some po-faced, up their bunny bum bands which we won't mention - they had romanticism, but not the grand or pretentious type - just daft, 'scuse me while i screw up type.

Julian is a good solo artist, but the Teardrops were a BAND, and one of the best of their time. This is one of those rare deluxe editions where I actually want the additional tracks as much as the main ones - the quirky versions, the French versions. I always thought the tinny little under produced versions of When I Dream were the best.

When I dream, I remember Teardrop gigs in Manchester. The past is a foreign country they say. Well you cant go back, but here's a good photo album anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars This takes me back......., 10 Jun 2007
Ms. L. J. Oliver "lisa_joli" (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
to when I was a mere 13 years old and I bought this album on a whim having liked Reward and Treason. It was a wise impulse purchase as I loved it and played it to death. I had it on vinyl and have recently bought the cd, it sounds just as good now as it did then. He really is an unsung/unacknowledged musical and lyrical genius. Btw, has anyone else realised robbie williams stole from him with the line "is there a tumour in your humour?" If you're going to steal then steal from the best I suppose!

It's hard to choose a stand out track from an album packed with great songs, however, I always loved "Thief of Baghdad" as a kid and still do now: listening to it takes me back instantly to the bedroom I'd painted partly black (I was allowed to do one wall as a concession by my increasingly concerned parents), I'd lie there in the semi-dark writing really bad poetry, listening to Julian and feeling like he somehow knew how I thought! I'm not so likely to be listening to him in these conditions these days - most often in the car driving to sainsburys, I no longer write the bad poetry but at least this is still great music.

Anyway, if you liked him then or are discovering him now, this is one hell of a good album, enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Second only to The Beatles' "Revolver", 16 Nov 2000
R. L. Ross (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
Released in 1980, this is one of the most cohesive, timeless and brilliant debut albums in pop history. The madcap musical visions of Julian Cope's world first came to fruition with Liverpool's (now-legendary) Teardrop Explodes. This newly remastered version also contains B-sides that have been unavailable for years.
From "Sleeping Gas" to "Treason" to "Reward" to the stunning "When I Dream", this album was the perfect hybrid of late-60's psychedelia, new wave and big-arrangement POP. The lyrics veer from crytic to whimsical and are memorable even 20 years after the first listening. Using a dazzling array of horns, keyboards and melodies, "Kilimanjaro" is, for any music collection, A MUST.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect, 12 July 2010
When Kilimajaro was first released it had a different cover and didn't have Reward on it. It was then re-released with Reaward, the new cover and some of the other tracks remixed, so why not feature both the original and re-mixed tracks on here?
They have all the Zoo singles on the 2nd disc but not the 3 other tracks from Zoo compliation From The Shores Of Lake Placid. Also the single version of When I Dream is missing.
Final moan, why not include a DVD of their videos? These have never beed released on DVD before as far as I'm aware so lots of oppotunitys missed here.
Guess I'll have to wait for the 4 disc edition!

4.0 out of 5 stars what are you on about ?, 29 Jun 2010
I can't believe how the other reviewer trashes this great album.
If Julian disowns it that is his problem, it still is a great album and brightened many of my teenage days together with the debut Bunnymen album.
It's time a new generation finds out about this forgotten gem of an album.
Hope it inspires new bands (instead of endlessly rehashing Joy Division).

3.0 out of 5 stars buyer beware, 20 Dec 2010
Stefano Galli (italy) - See all my reviews
The lack of transparent slipcase is, already, a common issue with the new "deluxe" editions: the same is happening with The Jam "Sound Affects".
I simply would like to add some more products' perspective to what previous reviewers already outlined in less specific manner.

Years, many years, ago, I bought the first CD "reconfiguration" of this album: it came with bonus tracks from a Japanese only mini LP: said configuration is still available and quite cheap in price. It has more value for money than CD1 of this deluxe package.

Earlier on I had already bought a CD compilation by the defunct, I think, label Document: bearing the title "Piano" it includes more tracks than the second CD of this deluxe edition.

In the end, I just bought the third CD, of BBC sessions: so I still have to keep in place the two CDs I already have and I paid a lot for just one CD of previously not available to me material (the same money buys you the excellent reissue of Heaven 17 "Penthouse and Pavement").

Having discovered this after having received the boxed set, I advise everybody to first check what they have in thier collections already, then compare all the available products, and - finally - decide.
You may indeed decide you do not need this triple CD which tends to bedisappointg for many.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very possibly the best pop album ever recorded, 5 Mar 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
How did so much energy ever make it into one slice of vinyl ?
Liverpool in 1980 was a dismal pit of a place, yet this is one of the brightest, most cheerful and simply uplifting records ever made. It's like Prozac with grooves on.
Please play Reward at my funeral. Even I'll be dancing for that.

5.0 out of 5 stars Liverpudlian heros, 1 Oct 2009
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
Another of those albums that get dropped into the nether regions of any `all-time greatest' list, Kilimanjaro also remains an oddity in any era. This band were born out of the same Liverpudlian Zoo records/Eric's/Bill Drummond axis that spawned The Crucial Three which in turn spawned Echo And The Bunnymen, Wah! Heat and the Teardrops. It was also a band that, as anyone who's read Julian Cope's hilarious Head On will know, had some major personality clashes.

By the time Kilimanjaro was to be recorded original keyboardist Paul Simpson had been ousted and replaced with co-founder of Zoo records and producer, David Balfe (who was, with Bill Drummond, the album's co-producer). Not only this but subsequently guitarist Mick Finkler fell victim to Cope's power struggles and was replaced both in the band AND on the record by Alan Gill from another legendary Liverpool band, Dalek I Love You.

Kilimanjaro's peppy horns, sweeping synthetic strings and trebly guitar sound unsettlingly `wrong' when the whole thing kicks off with "Ha Ha I'm Drowning". Cope's lyrics seem both oblique and overly wordy, sung in a strangely English-Scott-Walker way. Yet by the time you get to the third track: the heady, anthemic single, "Treason", you've settled into this surreal mix as if all records should be made this way.

Like the rival Bunnymen, they'd used the neo-psychedelic template but whereas McCulloch's crew used the Velvets and the Doors as their touchstones, Cope was also into Roky Erikson and krautrock. It also wasn't insignificant that the sessions for this album were conducted on large quantities of hallucinogens. Also, whereas the Bunnymen specialised in powerhouse grooves and epic choruses the Teardrops had an innate gift for a poppy hook and beguiling melody. Side two's love songs, "The Thief Of Baghdad" and "When I Dream", put you in pure psych pop heaven. With this in mind it's odd that their version of Ian McCulloch's "Read It In Books" (here rendered as "Books") is quite brutally minimalist.

Knowing how troubled was the genesis of Kilimanjaro it's amazing that something so perfectly formed emerged. Like Love's Forever Changes it inhabits a strange alternative universe that seems to have little relationship with contemporary sounds. For that reason alone it remains timeless.

4.0 out of 5 stars ..makes me dream., 6 Jun 2014
F. Rønning "S. Jobs" (Scand.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
I admit I missed out on these guys in the days. However, a couple of the tunes on this record used to play on the radio (endlessly) so when the record popped up in the modern medium, after all these years, It did not take long before a deep dive into it was on due to recognition. Oh man, seldom has a sound grown so much on me as this. It's (was) amazingly modern really. Just reflect on what bothered us in the mainstream culture at the same time for comparison. Wonderful experience this despite four stars. As I see it, next to none deserves top score anyway. That would not be honest.

5.0 out of 5 stars I exploded on hearing again, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Kilimanjaro (Audio CD)
Awesome, ace, excellent stuff. Took me back to my teens. Trumpets, trombones abomb. Commentary of the songs great, makes you think what he was thinking when he wrote them.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›