5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully individual collaboration

3.0 out of 5 stars ONE GREAT SONG
Published on 23 Nov 2002 by Pieter Uys

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderfully individual collaboration, 18 May 2004
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
I would counter the previous review by saying that one of this album's strengths is that it has a "soundtrack" feel to it. While all the songs are distinct and different, the thread of similar instrumentation and mood of delivery mean it is the perfect album to play when you're in a mood for languid, sexy and haunting music. This would also seem to me to be true of the Julee Cruise albums.
It's a credit to M. Faithfull that she's open to a variety of projects - there are few artists who have created records as varied as those in her oeuvre. This is a wonderful record with several unforgettable songs - seeing M.F. perform from this album on Jools Holland was spell-binding, and playing the album has the same effect. I bought it when it came out, and it's still a regular guest in my stereo.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Suprise, 15 Sep 2008
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
I thought I would take a punt on this because it was cheap but have had a suprise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but for me this is a beautiful piece of work. I would describe the music as a dense rhythmic sound that moves between 2nd and 4th gear. M does not have a great voice by any stretch of the imagination but she keeps within its boundaries. Many better known female singers could take a leaf out of her book regarding diction as you can actually understand all the words. The lyrics are intelligent and thought provoking very poetical.

Do not put this on if you want the party to go with a swing but if you feel in a reflective relaxing mood then this is the one.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTE PERFECTION!!, 20 April 2012
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
WOW!! This album is BEAUTIFUL - BEAUTIFUL - BEAUTIFUL!!

This compilation keeps the same beautiful atmospheric and subliminal theme throughout, and no track is out of place here. I dreaded the end of this album it was just SO rich in quality! As soon as it ended, I had to put it on again straightaway! I doubt anybody in the world could sing or perform any of these numbers so well - they were made for this woman alone!

I've never previously given much attention to Ms. Faithfull's singing career - even though I am old enough and was around during the sixties to recall her big chart hit: 'Passing By'. Like many though; I'd always regarded her as a 'Few Hits Wonder' - oh, but listen to this album of pure perfection - and you'd be very, VERY wrong indeed...! I knew she'd had a troubled life, and my mother always said it was the company she kept that both ruined and held her back in her true potential, but to come through all those difficult times and health problems, and to still be making such great music, one can only admire such a lady...

I once heard Marianne singing live on TV some years ago - I didn't know it was her singing 'til I looked; I was in my kitchen and heard it from the TV whilst I cooked my meal late one night, and to be honest, was not impressed to put it mildly... ( I was quite unkind to myself about her voice...) Now; talk about 'eating humble pie'; either she was singing the wrong song that night - or her performance was hindered by her health problems - or I was just in another place at the time - whatever it was; I was not interested... However; a few days ago, I was trawling through the CDs at Amazon, and was somewhat staggered when I was then led to Wikipedia to discover that Marianne Faithfull had recorded no less than 21 studio albums!! This can't be from a woman who cannot sing I thought to myself, and so I gave her another go by selecting the cheapest album title from her back catalogue available at Amazon I could find, and then listened to the Samples - it happened to be this one. I was impressed enough to place my order - and am I SO glad that I did! What I would have missed otherwise!

This album must be the most unique, original, and PERFECT I have in my collection - and I have thousands... Marianne's diction - both when speaking and singing is PERFECT. More importantly; there's SO much sincerity in every single word! Normally in much music these days, this matters little, since the words to most songs are usually pretty pointless and have no impact, but the lyrics to these masterpieces - coupled with Ms. Faithfull's unique style of delivery, make them thoroughly important and a sheer delight to the Listener - I simply cannot believe I have been ignorant of this woman's talent for almost five decades...! Anyone like myself whoever doubted Marianne's talent, should listen to the song 'She' on this album. (not to be confused with the 70s hit by Charles Aznavour which is a totally different song) I guarantee it will change your mind forever!

The exciting thing now of course for me, is that I have no less than TWENTY albums in a huge back catalogue to now look forward to purchasing and enjoying - I doubt very much this album can be surpassed in terms of quality and style, but if any of them are only half as good - then I've got a lot of great listening pleasure to discover!

Thank You Ms. Faithfull - and I'm sorry for my previous opinion. If you happen to be reading this Review, then PLEASE keep up the good work and you GO GIRL!! You've still got it - and still making new fans after almost half a century - and you're still looking great!

PURE PERFECTION!

5.0 out of 5 stars marrianne at her best, 20 April 2009
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
this is her best album ever bar none. her voice has matured but has not yet gone to seed.

4.0 out of 5 stars a good buy, 26 Feb 2009
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
I had been intrigued to hear this album for years and finally decided to buy it at this bargain price. As ever Marianne does not disappoint here with her voice perfectly met by the instrumental arrangements. While she will always be overshadowed to some extent by the legacy of the Stones her strong solo career should definitely be celebrated more than it is and arguable unlike the Stones she has continually pushed forward in the last 30 years.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Aug 2014
Fantastic...very dark.....

3.0 out of 5 stars ONE GREAT SONG, 23 Nov 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: A Secret Life (Audio CD)
I'm a great fan of Marianne's, but this album doesn't work for me. It's not that I don't like Badalamenti either - his work with Julee Cruise is great. But somehow the sound does not move me on any level. There's not enough variety, so it sounds like one long, atmospheric piece. It's difficult to make out individual songs and the mood is cold and aloof. Were it not for the one gripping track Losing, I would have awarded this album 2 stars. Losing, however, although very sad, has a gorgeous poetic quality with its divine melody and lyrics one can identify with. Definitely one of her greatest songs; what a pity that it's sort of lost on this failed experiment of an album.

A Secret Life