5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant reissue of this Brilliant Album
Well, I am a nearly 15-year-old ABBA fan. How come? I watched Mamma Mia! the movie and then searched for ABBA songs. It's been a year now, I've listened to all of their songs and I love nearly all of them. They are delightful. And yet I only own ABBA-The Albums, Arrival Deluxe Edition, The Album Deluxe edition and now this.

The original album is just brilliant...
Published on 7 Jun 2010 by Andreas

3.0 out of 5 stars Original album: top - but the rest could be better!
I must admit that the release is quite disappointing to me. I even prefer the 2005 CSR remastering. I absolutely adore the album. But I don't quite get the fact that "Just A Notion" and "Rubber Ball Man" are missing - as they were left at a similar production stage as "Dream World". The explanation - that the reason for not releasing them is that parts of these songs were...
Published on 11 Jun 2010 by Dr. Paich

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant reissue of this Brilliant Album, 7 Jun 2010
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)

The original album is just brilliant. Every single song is a treasure on its own. The usual bonuses, i.e. Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! and Lovelight, are a huge magnificent single and a moderate B-Side.

Also what can I say about the real bonuses (or 'boni' maybe)? Summer night city is such an upbeat beautiful song and the intro is just what was missing from the short version. Dream World is an incomprehensively-not-released-at-its-time song. It would have been a hit.

I guess I would agree that the Spanish versions should be included and even Just A Notion, which has to be released at some point of time and this was a great chance.

As for the DVD, I absolutely liked Abba in Switzerland, except of the ski scenes, If it wasn't for the nights and the Swap Shop Interview. I would love some more interviews.

Now, we should review what we do have in possess, so I say that this is a brilliant reissue, with excellent packaging, bonuses, DVD and booklet.

To anyone who hesitates: "Buy it"

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Timeless Album, 16 Nov 2005
John Heaton (Budapest, Hungary) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
This album is consistently brilliant and is a further example of a near flawless piece of work. From Arrival (1976) right through to The Visitors (1981), Abba produced wonderful albums not just great singles but timeles album tracks which, in their own way, were just as endearing. And it would be foolish to label this album as The Disco Album on account of the admittedly below par title track and the accompanying single ’Summer Night Night City’. Although the latter is a much more successful attempt at this oevre. After all this album contans that great ballad and hit single ’Chiquititta’ which is up there with their very best. And much more besides. The opener ’As Good As New’ is a gorgeous mixture of classic strings, a strong disco beat and those wondeful Agnetha/Frida vocals which need no introduction. Then there is Bjorn’s finest moment in the raucous ’Does Your Mother Know’ which remains an all time party favourite to this day, 28 years later. The minor single ’Angel Eyes’ should have been massive. Here is this band at their magical best. ’If It Wasn’t For The Nights’ is a superb album track. Nothing new here. Great album tracks are a trademark of all their last five albums, and they were not exactly non existent before then. This whole album sounds like a Piece Of Work in the way that no compilation album can. ’I Have A Dream’ is slushy for sure but fits in well here surrounded by more upbeat numbers. It is a great melody. Period. But they save the best track for last, the magestic ’Kisses Of Fire’ which sounded then and sounds even more now like The Great Single That Never Was.
The cover shows the band looking impeccable. On top of the world would not be heavy exaggeration. Sadly the two divorces were to follow shortly afterwards but as songwriters and performers this is something like their peak. Even NME or was it Melody Maker gave this one Five Stars.
Greatest Hits albums have their place of course. But my advice would be to buy this album, because it shows us the consistency that band continually showed themselves capable of from 1976 onwards. More than a Singles Band. Just one listen to ’Kisses Of Fire’ will demonstrate that.

5.0 out of 5 stars probably the best abba album re-release...ever!, 4 Jun 2010
Mr. Nathan Armstrong - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
this was the first album i ever owned...on cassette..and 30 years later it is still my favourite abba album ever!

the original album is here in all its glory, with the huge hits singles, as well as gems such as "as good as new" with agnetha's stunning vocals and great production, "the king has lost his crown" with frida doing some of the best vocals of her career and great lyrics..."if it was n't for the nights" an abba classic that was suppose to be a single and should have been...the girls never sounded better, the lyrics are amazing and would have been a number one!!! "lovers (live a little longer)" another stunning track and the ultimate "kisses of fire" with the stunning opening vocal by agnetha "lay your head on my chest" and the huge build up to "losing you" in all its glory!

the bonus tracks, although hard to find have been on various re-issues, such as the extended versions of "summer night city" and "voulez-vous" and the b-sides "dream world" and "lovelight"

the real value is in the dvd which includes "abba in switzerland" which has never been available before and every abba fan should own! plus you get other extras which are worth a look!

the booklet is stunning and gives an insight into the making of the album, the meanings behind the songs and how the album was put together, plus some great photos!

i am so happy to at last have this in my collection and assure anyone you will not be disappointed!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 25 Jun 2003
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
The problem with these CD updates is that nutters like me already have the vinyl, plus the extra tracks on the mutlitudinous compilations that are now available, so I'm not too sure why include the extras at all. Taking that into account I still rate the original 10 tracks as classics one and all. This was the first new ABBA album I bought for myself. I think it still rates as among the top albums written by Benny & Bjorn. Especially so when you consider some of the 'unknown' stuff on here. I would especially single out 'King . . .' & ' . . .Nights'. Any track on here could've been a single without too much trouble. Good production and excellent vocals. Manybe even the last of the albums on a more upbeat note, before the relationships started taking hold of the song-writing. Recommended listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Memory from 1979, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
Totally awesome retro flashback to 1979 when I first saw ABBA in Switzerland on TV. Enjoyed it tremendously.

5.0 out of 5 stars If it wasn't for the nights, 5 July 2010
Alpinefinland "mal" (stanley, durham United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
I agree If it wasn't for the nights should have been 'the' single from the album. Much better than Chiquitita and the horrid I have a dream, my least favourite abba song made even worse by the westlife cover. I think they picked all the wrong tracks for single. As good as new could have done well too. I absolutely love Dream world. With Just like that would have got them back in the top ten i'm sure. Do they have both tracks that they performed on the Mike Yarwood christmas show? They did Thank you for the music too. Unfortunately miming to both. Hilarious interview with Mike as Larry Grayson. Not my favourite abba album but still great.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have a dream - Frida singing 'I have a dream' to me!!!, 29 Jan 2005
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
There is nothing I can say that can praise ABBA enough for their gift of music to planet earth (and probably beyond!). I just want to add that this is probably the best-produced and best-performed of the lot. Benny's keyboards and synthesizer work is flawless (even Nick Rhodes will probably testify that!), and the singing by the girls is on such high notes on most of the album that even Barry Gibb will probably envy Agnetha and Frida more than he would wish to admit! So come on angel Agnetha, forgive the world for being so cruel to you, cause we do not know what we do, and give us another chance of experience the magic all over again, so that we can show our children and grandchildren of how proud we were and still are of you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Abba Deluxe, 4 May 2010
Gjergj Kota "Georg" (Durres, Albania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
The Voulez-Vous album was first released in April 1979. And now, a Deluxe Edition featuring the original album remastered and expanded with bonus tracks, plus a companion DVD with television performances from 1978 and 1979, is released.

CD
05 The King Has Lost His Crown
06 Does Your Mother Know
07 If It Wasn't For The Nights
08 Chiquitita
09 Lovers (Live A Little Longer)
10 Kisses Of Fire
Bonus Tracks
11 Summer Night City (Full Length Version)
12 Lovelight
13 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)
14 Dream World
15 Voulez-Vous (Extended Remix, 1979 US promo)

DVD
01 ABBA In Switzerland (television special, BBC)
02 Chiquitita (Music for UNICEF)
03 I Have A Dream (extended promo)
04 If It Wasn't For The Nights (Mike Yarwood Christmas Show, BBC)
05 Chiquitita (ABBA Snowtime, BBC)
06 Björn & Benny Interview (Multi-Coloured Swap Shop, BBC)
07 Greatest Hits Vol. 2 Television Commercial I
08 Greatest Hits Vol. 2 Television Commercial II
09 International Sleeve Gallery

4.0 out of 5 stars Great., 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
So many great songs. Abba were the best of their generation, I shall listen to their music for many years.

4.0 out of 5 stars ABBA + disco = bliss, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Voulez-Vous (Audio CD)
Spurred on by the success of the Bee Gees in the genre that was sweeping all before it as the Seventies ended, ABBA made a disco album. And there they stand on the sleeve in Stockholm's Alexandra disco, all dressed up for a night on the town. Except "Voulez Vous" isn't the seamless spin around the mirror ball you might expect. Two of these tracks are guaranteed to clear any dancefloor.

Things kick off promisingly with "As Good as New", all Classical strings set to a disco beat, before we get the title track and its whirling dervish call to dancefloor action, one prolonged sexual come-on. But then just as the party is hitting its stride the sappy "I Have a Dream" gatecrashes it (and brings with it a children's choir!). Later we get the second party pooper in "Chiquitita", an inferior South American-flavoured facsimile of "Fernando", the Latin strum-a-long smash from three years earlier.

Around these sentimental show stoppers the tempo picks up again with the remaining perfectly functional shiny dance-pop tracks. They effortlessly showcase the crystal clear girl harmonies while piling on the sexual tension. In many ways disco was a perfect fit for ABBA. Within disco women took centre stage, just as they did in the group. In both it's the woman's experience and female desire that are given voice. And it's a testament to the group's skill at this style that clubs fully embraced these and their later dance-orientated cuts.

That Andersson and Ulvaeus seemed incapable of sticking with one style throughout their albums is a clear drawback when attempting a disco album. Later CD versions of "Voulez Vous" add the non-album hit singles "Summer Night City" and "Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)", the foursome's most convincing excursions onto the dancefloor. With these this collection finally begins to look like the epic disco opus we were promised. In fact, I have a dream: had the original album replaced the two schmalzfests with these later triumphs then "Voulez Vous" would have without doubt been the greatest disco album ever. Instead we have to settle for just a good one.

Voulez-Vous