Anthrax back when this came out was known as one of the "big four of thrash" along with Metallica, Megadeth & Slayer. For those that were into the scene prior to a later arrival due to Metallica's commercial success of their black album can remember the scene and I'm sure would agree.
Published on 10 Jun 2008 by Speed Daemon

3.0 out of 5 stars State Of Mediocrity
Published on 18 May 2003 by 2ey

5.0 out of 5 stars A forgotten album from the last of the classic era of Thrash Metal, 10 Jun 2008
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
Like Metallica's greatest years that the true fans pine for were from `Kill `em' all through to`...And Justice for all', Anthrax's greatest years were from `Spreading the disease' through to `Persistence of time' (many may include fistful of metal but for me it isn't the classic Anthrax with the classic line up. It was just their first).
At the time like most fans I was mad on the album `Among the living', but after all these years and going back to the scene and buying up again all the classic albums, I actually like this album best. It is the darkest Anthrax album they made and to me is the most mature. The lyrics are 100% and have a very streetwise attitude with a good sense of reality.
All in all it is a great album with not one bad song. The bands technical ability along with Joey Belladonna's voice is talented and powerful enough to appeal to fans of Arena selling classic Heavy Metal artists like Iron Maiden or Judas Priest yet at the same time the riffs and attitude is hard enough to appeal to the more matured thrash metal fan.

When rave over Metallica's classic years and sound I think many have forgotten Anthrax's classic years and sound. This to me was for me their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spreading the musical euphoria., 21 Mar 2014
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
When I bought this album back in the day it was my first exposure to Anthrax, and was also my exposure to thrash metal, as prior to this the heaviest band I was listening to were the likes of GNR, Crue, W.A.S.P & Maiden. I seem to remember buying this on the strength of the song Anti-social, which I heard on some VHS tape or another. At the time I was broadening my musical horizons. I was, and still am, mostly about hair metal, but I have a side to me that wants something a bit heavier as well.
I really liked this right from the off, and I think that was probably down to the fact that despite its heaviness, it was at the time probably their most commercial sounding album as well. Over the years I would say that Megadeth has risen to my top of the thrash pile. but Anthrax for me is probably next alongside Metallica.
For me this was the perfect introduction to the band, and personally I would recommend this to anyone who likes more melodic rock, but wants something a little heavier. The thing Anthrax had in Belladonna was a vocalist who was actually a better singer than bands like Megadeth, Metallica and Slayer etc. Where those guys all growl, Joey actually sings.
This is why for me it was a great album to dip my toe into the thrash waters, and paved the way for my introduction to the genre.
Yes, the best song on here is a cover song, but that doesnt take anything away from the rest of the album. The opening pair of Be all, end all and Out of sight, out of mind, are as good as anything from back in the day.
I didnt mind the Bush era Anthrax, but for me this is the real Anthrax, and this is the real Anthrax album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cracking album - horrible mix, 6 Feb 2014
Mr. Jon Garrett "JG" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
There's a few splendid Anthrax albums, with Among the living and State of Euphoria being the pinnacle (I was going to note 'imho' but that would be disingenuous, as it's plainly true).
I grew up with the feeling that whilst Among the living had the better tracks, the production was far too tinny and thin, which took the edge off the album.
State of Euphoria however, had the sound spot on, a rich, solid chunky production which blew holes in your walls.
If Among the living had that production it would've been hailed even higher.

But then I bought this CD and frankly, some of the tracks sound like I'm listening to them through a couple of pillows strapped to the speakers. The instrumentation sounds like it's going from the bottom of a swamp and Joey Belladonna sounds like he's singing from behind a sofa, half a mile down the road.
After a bit of a play with my nobs I got it sounding ok but my word, whoever mixed this CD needs a spanking.
But not in a good way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anthrax - Its a must, 5 Dec 2002
Steveo (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
I first heard Anthrax at a gig in which they supported Motorhead. I was a fan from the first cord struck. Therefore, on my English teacher's advice, i went out and bought this album. It is amazing. From the beginning string piece into the powerful drum beat and head banging guitar cord sequence of 'Be All, End All through to such classics as 'Anti - Social', to which the chorus must be sung out load, regardless of where you are or what your doing. Into heavier tracks as 'Misery Loves Company' in which once again Charlie Benate(drummer) puts an amazing beat mixed with a classic Dan Spitz(Lead Guitar) solo. Joe Belladonna's (Vocals) distinctive voice rings out, mere perfection for the band. 'Finale' is an amazing ending track to an amazing album. This is a must for any thrash metal fan, and an excellent first album for the new Anthrax fan. Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Euphoric - but not the Be All and End All, 28 July 2010
ratmonkey (Hardy Country) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
I have to give this 5 stars simply because it was the first Anthrax album I owned (sadly on cassette - although I believe that format is being fondly recalled now on account of it's VHS-style deletion). It is not their best but it is nowhere near as bad as their worst. Quality-wise it still stands securely within their 'Belladonna' releases from Spreading the Disease to Persistence of Time and has a great many excellent tracks, despite a slightly warmer sound and a lack of rawness that lent itself so well to their previous 2 efforts.

'Be All...' and 'Out of Sight...' are very similar in tone, composition, length and subject matter. This is no bad thing as they are kind of also-ran classics. 'Making Me Laugh' is a classic and one of the highlights here, together with the excellent cover, 'Antisocial'. 'Who Cares Wins' is a little like 'Skeletons...' from Among the Living in quality and type of track. It's fast, quippy, frenetically played and is trademark Anthrax - but no cigar. 'Now It's Dark' is a belter of a song, and true to its name it is a very dark sounding song, lots of downtuned power chords and low bass - one of the highlights. 'Schism' is ok, a bit love it or hate it. 'Misery...' is a kind of inbetween song and is great if you've read 'Misery' by Stephen King as it comes across as very dark, but it's missing something. '13' is fine but merely a silly musical interlude and 'Finale' starts well but meanders out of control and gets rather tedious towards its far too lengthy timespan.

In my eyes a classic for purely personal and cultural reasons. But their best was surprisingly just around the corner...

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Sep 2014
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
Great album and brought back memories of my youth

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 15 Sep 2014
All good thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 20 Sep 2014
Many Thanks

3.0 out of 5 stars State Of Mediocrity, 18 May 2003
2ey (Dublin, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: State Of Euphoria (Audio CD)
Anthrax, while not as popular as fellow thrashers Metallica & Slayer, are among the finest speed metal bands you are ever likely to here. This album spaned some classis tracks which helped 'Thrax win over their enormous fanbase,(ie-"AntiSocial","Make Me Laugh","Out Of Sight, Out Of mind" & "Misery Loves Company") but for the most part this album does not display the capabilities of Anthrax, the first handful of songs go well & the middle portion of the album is decent, but by the time you've reached the closing few songs of the record it's all began to sag a bit, like a bottle of soda gone flat.
While it can be bought off the strength of the classic tracks I mentioned previously,especially "Anti-Social" which is a metal classic in it's own right, a newcomer to Anthrax would be advised to check out an Anthrax compilation rather than shell out for this harrowingly average record.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 25 Sep 2014