Published on 1 Mar 2007 by Andrew

2.0 out of 5 stars sound quality poor
This may be a classic album, but whoever mastered it needs to get a new job!. Appauling sound quality.Buy the Re-master and pay the extra.My old cassette copy sounds better than this.Great music ruined.Flat ,dull and congested.Avoid.
Published 6 months ago by David Watson

5.0 out of 5 stars Even if you already have this album, buy this one for the extras, 1 Mar 2007
After they found their way on their first couple of albums, Abba consistently released albums full of classic tracks. For those who haven't bought this album before and only know Abba from their singles, this is the one with Dancing Queen on it, and Knowing Me Knowing You, and Money Money Money. It also has the slightly less well known but equally excellent That's Me, and Tiger - and so on. Every track is a gem. Even the lyrically weak Dum Dum Diddle is musically stronger than initial impressions might suggest. It also contains one of Abba's very few instrumental tracks, Arrival itself (non-lyric track, anyway - the voices are still in there). I love this track.

But many people will already have this album and will be wondering whether it's worth buying it again for the extras with this version. The other reviews have already suggested you should, and I'd definitely agree. The TV documentary is excellent. It's in-depth enough to be insightful without being too personal to be comfortable. It's full of Swedish humour. It's full of complete performances of songs from the album, excellently filmed. There's also film of Abba in the studio recording Dancing Queen, a superb cartoon accompaniment For Happy Hawaii (if you cringe at cartoon pop videos, don't worry - it's pretty good), a British TV interview or two, and more. The BBC Young Nation interview asks all the right questions, showing the band members as people without being too personal, and giving a valuable insight into Bjorn and Benny's song writing methods. And Richard Skinner is excellent in his interview section.

We've known some of this TV material was out there, of course, and in fact I took the opportunity a couple of years ago to ask the appropriate people at Universal to release some of this stuff. But I'm amazed by just how good this stuff is. Thank you, Universal - and please do the same with the rest of Abba's albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars This one deluxe edition worth getting just for the bonus dvd, 19 Oct 2006
I brought the Deluxe edition the other day and couldn't wait to watch the DVD and oh boy I wasn't dissapointed. Don't let the fact that the documentary ABBADABDOO is in Swedish you can switch on the subtitles and believe me it is well worth watching. Not only does it give a better insight to ABBA but it also very funny. Plus there are two live performances one is Why Did It Have To Be Me? and the other is Dum Dum Diddle.

The other bonus material is worth looking at to the never before seen Happy Hawaii cartoon, Abba's performance of Fernando on Top Of The Pops and a Swedish News Report Abba's success plus two telivision comercials for the Arrival album.

I just hope Universal give the same treatment to The Album, Voulez-Vous, Super Trouper and The Visitors because even though I already have the above albums I would be more than willing to pay for them again if it ment seeing footage of the group that I have never seen before. It's just a shame that the album ABBA wasn't given the same treatment. Who knows if Arrival is a hit then maybe the album Abba will get the same treatment.

George

5.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past., 25 Sep 2005
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
First bought this album in 1976 as a viny LP,which I still have. My turntable,like my vinyl collection lies in the loft! When I saw this cd yesterday I just had to buy it. Glad I did. It is as good today as it ever was. I have never bought any of the compilation cd's as the original albums are better by far.
If you only buy one album of Abba let it be this one.
Also have upgraded copies of Super Trouper, The Album, and Waterloo as well.Only Voulez Vous and The Visitors remain as vinyl......but not for long.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are going to buy one buy this one, 14 Feb 2012
Mr. R. G. Prizeman "Dickie 1" (croydon UK) - See all my reviews
This is about the re-master not the music which is one of the best if not the best Abba albums. Firstly Abba has been re-mastered three times now, and I was never happy with the 2001 master's I felt they had lost the warmth and clarity that the original albums had, too loud and compressed was the main problem. So with caution I bought the deluxe version to see what the sound was like, I firstly played the 2001 master, with all its limitations then I played this deluxe version, finally a re-master that the band can be proud of, it like your listening to the a different album, the clarity has been returned the volume turned down and its refreshing that this has been done so well, the only question that beckons, is why could this not have been done in the first place. As for the DVD I was not disappointed like the DVD for Abba the album. firstly the music special in Swedish is great nearly all the songs from Arrival are featured, and where possible stereo mixes have replaced the mono mixes, so a little effort has been made. Happy Hi wiwi was a great edition, for the age of the items the quality is not bad, only two minor points, why no promos, and why not Pal which is better quality than NTSC.

5.0 out of 5 stars ABBA - ARRIVAL - The title says it all!!, 16 Sep 2007
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
Only ABBA's third studio album, but what a masterpiece!!

Forever the anthem to the long and hot summer of 1976 - hits such as Dancing Queen and the album itself will be forever locked away in history for us all to open the doors to whenever we get depressed of all the awful things that are going on nowadays, and we wish to escape to a much happier time!

This collection includes two number ones plus a Top 3 smash! All ABBA's albums now sound incredibly like greatest hits compilations due to the catchiness of all their album material. Each and every song has been so well thought over and not thrown together like so much album material we get from other groups, merely to fill the gaps between the hits.

This was ABBA's shortest album at barely thirty minutes long, and is just another testimony that some of the best and most successful works, are indeed the shortest of them all!

To this day, ABBA remain timeless in that one can play any of their albums any time, and they still sound as good and as fresh as the day they were recorded.

God bless them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Now this is a genuine remaster with a difference, 14 Aug 2008
If you have a choice between this version of Arrival and the other version I'd take this one without thinking. It comes with the bonus DVD and this is original footage shot at the time ABBA were making hit records, the first documentary is Swedish so turn on subtitles if you don't speak Swedish! But it's a great documentary with insights into how the band functioned, shot in the tv studio and at their recording studio.
You also have a Young Nation documentary, which is now missing from the BBC archives, and Top of the Pops segment. These next two are a bit shorter but still good value and just in case you want more... There's a short film shot in the studio when they were recording Dancing Queen, it's not just live footage of the girls singing, we do get short snippets, but they are discussing the song as Benny is mixing the music, working out where to come in. It's the genuine article from what I can work out, a rare shot indeed.
Get it for the DVD and sit back and enjoy.
A great release guys, thanks!
Alastair

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite Abba album, 12 Feb 2003
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
I originally bought this on LP, replaced it with a CD, and then replaced that CD when a re-mastered version was released with Fernando added as a bonus track, as well as much-improved sound quality. I decided not to bother with this, the most recent version, a digipack featuring Fernando and an additional bonus track, Happy Hawaii. I have not heard that song, but it uses the tune of Why did it have to be me? and first appeared as the B-side of Knowing me knowing you. It seems that Benny and Bjorn tried two completely different sets of lyrics, but When I kissed the teacher is a great opening song that demonstrates the high standard of the album.

The most famous song here is Dancing queen, which provided Abba with their only number one hit in America. It was also number one in Britain and many other countries. Fernando and Knowing me knowing me were also British number ones, while Money money money peaked at number three in December 1976.

Fernando was never released on any original Abba album, although it was included in many Abba compilations. It was released as a single in the spring of 1976 and its wonderful images and brilliant melody ensured that it was a huge hit in many countries, though it did not provide Abba with their American breakthrough. I wonder what might have happened if it had been released in America after Dancing queen.

Among the less well known tracks, Bjorn sings some lines on Why did it have to be me, while Tiger was tipped by some critics as a possible single. My love my life is a lovely reflective song. Arrival, the title track, is essentially an instrumental with the ladies singing la la la - but it works superbly, with a nice Celtic flavor.

Abba was - and still is - my favorite pop group. This was my favorite album of theirs even without Fernando, which I always thought should have been part of the album anyway.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Known ABBA Album, 2 Dec 2012
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
This album is quite simply a classic ! Containing several of the group's greatest songs and some of their hidden gems ,it deserves to be considered to be ABBA's pinnacle along with 'The Album' . 'Dancing Queen' and 'Knowing Me , Knowing You ' are without doubt likely to easily make the group's top 5 or top 10 list of their finest and best loved songs.Others such as 'Money ,Money ,Money ','When I kissed the Teacher' and 'Tiger' are also contenders for honours .Another true ABBA classic that thoroughly deserves a really high rating is 'Fernando' which is included here as a bonus track and it also happens to fit in seamlessly so as to appear as if it were recorded specifically for this album. The title track , 'Arrival ', is predominately an instrumental and has a wonderfully affecting celtic/folk feel; some have said that it was based upon an ancient Irish traditional song .One song on the album that I consider to be a hidden gem is the beautifully melancholic and contemplative 'My Love, My Life'.This song is one of my personal ABBA favourites and it hinted at a more mature lyrical direction (as did 'Knowing Me , Knowing You ' ).

The remaining songs that appear within the album (and/or as bonus tracks )are not as strong in my opinion . They are the catchy and likeable (but lightweight) 'Dum Dum Diddle' , the largely forgettable 'That's Me' and the Bjorn sang ' Why Did it Have to Be Me ?'(the inclusion of the earlier version of this song and also 'Happy Hawaii',which was originally a B side, smacks of 'filler') .

However, the bulk of this particular CD consists of often spectacularly positive and inspired music that has definitely stood the test of time and has rightly contributed to ABBA being considered as one of the greatest Pop groups in history .Several of their other studio albums are also excellent !

5.0 out of 5 stars classic pop, 6 Feb 2009
S. V. Kerry - See all my reviews
"Arrival" has always been one of my favourite Abba albums and the digital sound only improves on this.Originally released back in 1976 the music still sounds as good today if not better."Dancing Queen","Money Money Money","Knowing Me Knowing You" were all huge hit singles around the world and this album also features probably more stand out tracks than any of the groups previous albums."When I Kissed TheTeacher","Tiger","Why Did It Have To Be Me","My Love My Life"and"That's Me"are all of the same high quality. "Dum Dum Diddle"is the only duff track and that's lyrically not musically."Arrival"is instrumental but still a great piece of music.
The bonus tracks include "Fernando" which wasn't originally attatched to any Album as well as "Happy Hawaii" which is an early incarnation of "Why Did It Have To Be Me". The only thing I could fault is the inclusion of the spanish versions which were recorded in 1980.Personally I feel they sit better with the other spanish songs Abba released at the same time In 1980. The bonus dvd is great and its about time Universal released some of the groups other tv specials.Although "Abbadabadoo"is appreciated Why have they never put out "Abba-In Japan",Abba-"InPoland","Abba-In Switzerland" not to mention "Dick Cavett Meets Abba" from 1981, the groups last live showcase. There could be so many added bonus's with these releases and a live package is well over due.However "Arrival Deluxe"is a welcome edition to my collection and hopefully Universal will plan something for the 30th anniversary of "Voulez~Vous"this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars My very first Album purchase, 17 Aug 2013
Amazon Customer "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Arrival (Audio CD)
`Arrival' was my very first album purchased back in the 1970s; the media I bought was cassette. I was not aware that cassette by its nature would wear out quickly! Anyway going back to the album it was the best-selling album of 1977 in the United Kingdom. In April 1977, the album was awarded gold by the Recording Industry Association of America. The song "Fernando" was never included in the album original release in the UK, until it was first re-mastered and issued in 1997.

Ken Tucker of Rolling Stone panned the album upon its release, giving out the throw away statement that the album was `shrill voices without regard to emotion or expression'. Equally scathing was the Village Voice that said "a record of clear professionalism or barely discernible inspiration, but not both." Thankfully the general public disagreed and bought the album in their droves. This is my second purchase of the album in CD form as well as MP3 downloadable from Amazon UK. I might add that the purchase price in the 1970s was around £5 and the price recently £5.22. This current reincarnation is full of bonus tracks, and shows ABBA at their best in my opinion.