4.0 out of 5 stars TURN OFF THE PHONE - OPEN UP ANOTHER BOTTLE
This album features original compositions mainly co-written by the wistful, bluesy, sleepy-time-down-south voiced Madeleine Peyroux. Brim-full of wist, it offers no great stylistic surprises but it's still a fascinating album.

Peyroux can produce wonderful studio tracks but is said to be variable in live performance. I suspect this is because she's a private...
Published on 27 April 2009 by Jim Brooks

2.0 out of 5 stars Ossified
If you're unfortunate enough to be invited to dinner by a Dido fan, take "Bare Bones" along; you might get some blessed relief from Dido's motel lobby muzak and your host/hostess might learn something. Because in her favour, Madeleine Peyroux does have an interesting voice, quite sultry, quite smoky at times. Disappointingly, the album does not do what it says on the...
Published on 5 May 2009 by Dudley Serious

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars Bare Bones by Madeleine Peyroux, 1 Jun 2009
This review is from: Bare Bones (Audio CD)
Terrible, not up to her usual standard, and far too short by current C.D.playing times.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Madeleine, 11 Dec 2009
This review is from: Bare Bones (Audio CD)
This is why I cant get my friends into Jazz. Similarly with Nora Jones they were bored to tears after the first few tracks . Sickly sweet vocal renditions all sounding the same -its hard to imagine creating 11 tracks from one song , I guess lyrically they are diferent. The music is too laid back , I guess thats the idea but a bit too much so ..... One of her tracks in acompliation -yeah ok -thats about it -compilation jazz at best.
Its a shame many good singers of monotone vocal quality just fade away they cant live up to expectations. Mentioning Walter Becker in the same breath as this lady is heresy . Steely Dan did more for music in one albuthan this lady wil do in a lifetime. She cant lace Diana Krall's boots even living off covers isnt an option for her as for Cullum or Buble . She has talent but it is misdirected and I guess these days any one can do an album or write a book but if its too personal only 1 person will buy it . To Wake Up to jazz try Pat Metheny !

3.0 out of 5 stars River of Tears, 20 April 2009
Fletch-a-sketch "Fletch" (Wiltshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have all Madeline Peyroux's previous albums and always found them interesting, I love her voice which is almost a throwback to bygone eras, and was eagerly looking forward to this album. I have to say I was disappointed, not because it's a bad album, its not it bears all of the hallmarks of previous albums, well played and well recorded songs, this album however marks the first time we have 100% new songs and no neatly reinterpreted covers.
The album starts well enough with `Instead' recently played to great effect on later with Jools Holland, this set the tone and pace of the album. The Stand out track for me `River of Tears'
The music is more laid back and reflective than previous albums, and with co-writers like Walter Becker (from Steely Dan), the music is as smooth as ever. Maybe I was looking for a more upbeat album from Madeline this time around, or maybe the album is lacking one of those reinterpreted covers I don't know but as far as Madeline Peyroux albums go this one will be lower down in the pile than `Dreamland' or `Got you on my Mind'

Not a bad album by any means but not as good as what has gone before.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, 19 April 2009
M. C. Cresswell - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'd never heard of her before this album, and as a newbie I find this a gentle, quite beautiful and most importantly sincere listen. Very chilled, stylish and accomplished writing and singing, and some very lovely musicianship. If you like listening to Dinner Jazz on Jazz FM, this'll be right up your street.

Stand out tracks are the more upbeat or challenging numbers: Our Lady of Pigalle, and I Must be Saved, for two. If there's a complaint, it's that as a whole, it's *too* chilled. Some more challenge and variance would be welcome. But for what this is, it's of very high quality and will certainly be getting lots more play from me, particularly now that summer's on the way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Rather forgettable., 14 Jun 2009
Mr. M. P. Duffy (Littlehampton, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Although she has a good voice, this is at best background music, and easily forgottable at that. I really think the weak link is the actual song material, having a good voice singing songs of this ilk is like polishing an MFI melamine table with finest beeswax. I'm sure it will do well in the charts, but will probably make a quick journey to the cheapie bin before being buried forgotten in the back of a cupboard somewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars Laid-back perfection, 20 April 2009
Tealady2000 (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This gorgeous new album from Madeleine Peyroux is more downbeat than Careless Love but still utterly sublime. Sometimes her voice is ear-poppingly like Billie Holiday's in the way that it just floats over the accompaniment like a reedy woodwind instrument. A perfect adult album for chilling out on a Sunday.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little too Safe, A Little Too Much like Background Music, 18 April 2009
Ryan J. Price "uselessdesires" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Peyroux has been described as the best selling jazz vocalist of the last decade. This however is my first introduction to the American-French singer song writer, who wrote or co-wrote every song on this 11-track release. The fourth album in only four years, and as a lover of jazz, I found this release a little watered-down, and perhaps more suited to background listening. The opening track was soulful, but didn't grab me. The title track, however, was stronger, but I couldn't help but think that Peyrouk was treading in safe waters, and could quite easily break free and live a little more and take a risk. That's not to say she isn't a great recording artist in her own right; she has a voice akin to Elkie Brooks with a soft, mellow jazz feel. Perhaps with a little more perseverance, this may be a worthy album for me. Sadly, on first listen, it falls short on expectations.

3.0 out of 5 stars a gentle sway under a summer tree, 19 April 2009
David Spanswick (Brighton United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
"instead of feelin' bad, be glad you've got somewhere to go" is the opening line of this very laid back CD by Ms Peyroux. She makes her vocals sound effortless almost like breathing, and, like breathing, singing is no doubt essential to this artist's expression of her world.

Her influences are mostly the jazz singers of the last century and she has been, to my mind, oddly compared to Billie Holliday. She may have practised her phrasing by listening to the great jazz singers tracks but here she veers much more towards a folksy sound. She reminded me on many tracks of the very underrated work of Dory Previn, she of neurotic therapeutic expression.

This album is a change inasmuch as there are no cover jobs. all the songs are original and written,in collaboration by Peyroux. This may account for a kind of saminess about the album, which does not really improve on repeated listenings. The lyrics of the songs are also surprisingly vapid and unmemorable though quite harmless.

The album has no teeth. I longed for a bit of a snarl, a yelp or even a scream but the tone remains the same regardless of the subject matter of each song. Our lady of Pigalle perked it up a bit but then we slump back down again with Homeless Happiness.

I think fans will love this. It is a warm summer evening with a table spread under a tree, gentle gossip and red wine, good bread and good cheese. The guests will not stop each other and say, "You must listen to this track". It is a pretty accompaniment.

I doubt it will make many new fans coming to Peyroux for the first time. She just sounds a little too satisfied with where she is and unless a particular lyric might refelect an element in a listener's life the CD will stop at the door, be passed around, but ultimately be forgotten

4.0 out of 5 stars Nostalgic sound, modern day hit, 20 April 2009
C. FULLER (Brixham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is the first time I have heard Madeleine and I found the whole album took me back to those heady days of the 1960s and for some reason I was thinking of Ray Davis.
The album features 11 self compositions from this top selling jazz artist but I won't pigeon hole her as I heard all kinds of shades in her vocals. I did find the songs relaxing and she certainly creates a mood which I've not felt before. At times I felt folksy and country but not a strong jazz feel more middle of the road.
The recording quality is excellent and it is good to know that an album like this one sells as it is the kind of music we do not hear on the BBC.

1.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Metal!!!!, 28 April 2009
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
No, actually not. More appropriate words may be the following -

Supine - lying flat on one's back.
Somnambulism - sleep walking.

These are two states you may find yourself in halfway through this album. The pace is unrelentingly slow and the rhythms and general feel of all but a couple of the songs would send even the most determined insomniac off into the land of nod in no time at all.

The first track is upbeat enough with a nice false ending, but then fades out - why do that? If your sing has a nice solid ending, why restart it only to fade it out? After that, well it all pretty much of a muchness with one track merging into another with no discernible break.

Recommended for late night smooches, but not for parties.

Tis a pity as previously there has been more colour.

‹ Previous | 18 9 10 | Next ›

Bare Bones
Bare Bones by Madeleine Peyroux (Audio CD - 2009)