4.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary Brilliance
Published on 1 Nov 2007 by Mark Stapleton

3.0 out of 5 stars Engaging......
So, Sigur Ros are never a band for doing things the conventional route. They could have returned oh so quickly with a new album, on the back of their songs being used from everything from the X Factor to Planet Earth. Instead they release a DVD and this, a two disc collection that feels like an affirmation of their unique and engaging musical vision.

Two discs...
Published on 9 Nov 2007 by Mr. A. J. Whiteway

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Ordinary Brilliance, 1 Nov 2007
Mark Stapleton (Leicestershire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
I'll level with you straightaway. I couldn't give an unbiased Sigur Ros review if you pointed a crossbow straight at my temple and told me your trigger-finger was well itching. I love them. I love their music more than any other music I have ever heard in the four decades I've been around. I wouldn't care if every other band I loved vowed only from this point on to only record covers of Chas and Dave records. As long as I have Sigur Ros, I am happy.

So it's no surprise I give this five stars. If fact I would give it six, seven if I could. Hold on, no wait! I've given it FOUR! What am I doing?

Well, it's not often that Sigur Ros disappoint me. Not since, after wearing out "Agaetis Byrjun" and "()", I finally got my hands on "Von" - the first album, and played it, and discovered it to be by the world's only Curve tribute band (and a bad one at that). But the Hvarf half of Hvarf-Heim is not Sigur Ros anywhere approaching what they are capable of. It's merely a collection of b-sides (if they released singles, that is), the final track - Hafsol - having been released before. If Hvarf-Heim had just been Hvarf, then I would have felt cheated.

Now we come to Heim. Oh dear Lord. Having listened to these six songs I know that I cannot listen to them again, tonight. Sigur Ros's music has such a way of reaching deep into you, finding your heartstrings and plucking them without thought of mercy. But somehow these acoustic versions of old favourites sound so raw and honest that hearing them just leaves you breathless. Samskeyti, the first track, is also known as Untitled #3, and the version on "()" is sublime enough, but on Heim, without the effects and the loops and the little Jonsi bits alternating between your left and right speakers, it transcends the sublime and becomes something of pure loveliness. Just the notes, just the music. It's a stunning thing to hear. The rest of the tracks take the same stance, with Sigur Ros even performing a miraculous rescue of the mundane "Von" from that tepid first album. At the end of it your ears feel like they've been repeatedly slapped by a huge Icelandic haddock, or you're that boy at the end of the "Saeglopur" video, drowning in an aural sea of bliss.

Well, I'm glad that's off my chest. Six stars for Heim, but only two for Hvarf, making four. I'm off for a little lie down.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Album..., 8 Nov 2007
Mr. David B. Howard "ZenBass" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
Well there I was purchasing it on the day of its release, havent heard anything about it. I was expecting big things..but not in the way i was expecting. It more like a re-mix album...bring the old stuff to a different audience..its great...a bit dissapointed of not having lots of new material to get my teeth into but I am sure it will come at some point soon.

For all those who havent seen them playing live, the live tracks are a fantastic representation of what they do on stage..if they tour the UK soon..Ill be there and you should too..

5.0 out of 5 stars An album of two halves, 5 Nov 2007
Matt Niner (cheshunt, hertfordshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
For the record I'm a huge Sigur Ros fan, I love all the albums (including Von) and I was very excited about the Hvarf portion of this double disk set.
However first I must mention the Heim side. Acoustic live takes of previous album tracks could have gone either way, thankfully they turned out great. Samskeyti one of my favourite ( ) tracks shines out for me and the other tracks show a different, slightly more vulnerable side to the originals.
Hvarf was what I was really interested in however and I must say I was really overwhelmed in parts. Salka starts of things very nicely with some really powerful passages before current single Hljomalind cuts through, its a great track full of sparkle. The next track I gaer is a completely different prospect altogether with sinister xylophones in the intro with a almost Muse feel before a wall of Glosoli style noise smashes the thing wide open. Its great stuff. Then the reworking of Von and Hoppipolla b-side Hafsol finish up proceedings nicely.
All in all its a 2 disk summary of everything that makes sigur ros an amazing one of a kind band...Now i just wish my copy of Heima would arrive!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just one thing..., 25 April 2008
J. ONG "J. Ong" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
This collection is worth getting, whether you're a die-hard Sigur Ros fan or a newbie, even if it's for just one track: Í Gr

Listen to it and prepare to get blown away....

Í Gr is also getting some airplay on TV as promo music on one of the terrestrial channels...

4.0 out of 5 stars A worthy addition to classic back-catalogue in the making., 25 Jan 2008
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
I absolutely adore this band. There is something deeply moving about their music that sends shivers down your spine and makes your hairs stand on end.
This album, of course is no exception. Their formula of creating ambient, post-rock music, that is clearly inspired by their home country of Iceland, seems to me to be one that is incapable of ever dissapointing.
The first CD Hvarf, is an excellent collection of new songs. They are slightly rockier and edgier than alot of their previous material, but it is deep, interesting, and of course beautiful.
The second CD, Heim, is absolutely staggeringly brilliant, and if it was released on its own would be worthy of 6 stars, never mind 5. It contains acoustic versions of songs from their previous 4 albums. They have not chosen obvious songs, which I admire, and the one they have chosen I simply cannot fault. Perfect choices.
And they execute them to perfection. As a live band, they are something to behold and are clearly brilliant musicians, and they pull the songs off acoustically so so well.
If you have been a fan of anything Sigur Ros have done, this is an essential purchase, if for nothing else, just for the 2nd disc.
It only gets 4 stars not five because the new songs aren't quite up to the standard of the previous 3 albums, but never the less contains some fabulous moments.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing, 11 Nov 2007
S. Russell (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
If you don't like this music, if it doesn't touch your soul, then you are probably dead inside. Some of their greatest work packaged into this one little album. Short on numbers, but my goodness me the phrase 'all good things come in small packages' certainly takes on a whole new meaning here. Listen to this before you die.

5.0 out of 5 stars Majestic, achingly beautiful music, 10 Nov 2007
K. Quinn (Richhill, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
What can I say about Sigur Rós that has not been said already. This band and their music deserve your attention. I don't think the term 'brilliant' quite covers them. It's hard sometimes not to think while listening to tracks such as 'Von' or 'Samskeyti' to name but two, that maybe there are higher powers involved...an element of the divine inspiring them. This double album is certainly a tale of 2 halves...2 different sides to the same coin. Once again Sigur Rós and their wonderful backing band Amiina have the ability to musically take you inside yourself and tug on your heart strings. You will not regret buying this...or for that matter the fabulous DVD 'Heim' a true work of art.

5.0 out of 5 stars sun, stars, moon and beyond..., 15 Nov 2007
Dr. Robert A. Josey "mystery lover" (Scottish Highlands) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hvarf/Heim (Audio CD)
I didn't know quite what to expect from this double-album. One album of studio recordings of live favourites - 'Hvarf'. The other a live album - 'Heim'. Hhhhmmm.
I certainly didn't expect anything quite so stunning, beautiful and incendiary. 'Hvarf' is wonderful beyond words - this is what music can be at the utmost points of feeling and emotion. It touches deep in the heart, in the soul. Music where you feel transfixed and unsteady on your feet after hearing it - it will reduce you to tears such is its impact.
'Heim' is lovely too - with all kinds of instrumental variations on known themes.
But 'Hvarf?... the sun, stars, moon and beyond...

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant..brilliant....brilliant., 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Hvarf - Heim (Audio CD)
As I sit writing this I have Harf-Heim playing in the background. I don't speak Icelandic but the melodies and pathos that come from this album are tremendous. Like much of the work from Sigur Ros, in my opinion it is best played quite loud so the sound fills your head. Headphones or earphones work well.

As a recent convert to Sigur Ros (2 years ago) I am steadily building up a collection of their work and this ranks amongst one of their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Hvarf - Heim (Audio CD)
As every single Sigur Ros album, wonderful...it makes you want to close your eyes and dream. The service great, I received in 3 days

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›