Spirit
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

on 15 February 2009
I have the original album, but decided to buy this newer version for the bonus tracks and the DVD. I loved the track 'Run' so thought it was worth buying this album just for that track alone. I also thought the sound quality may have been touched up.

The good news is the bonus tracks are brilliant even though there are only 3 and the DVD is also very nice addition two.

The bad news is compared to the original album the sound seems flatter. You wouldn't notice it unless you compare the albums straight after each other. The vocals on the original sound clearer and more vibrant in my opinion. The difference isn't massive, but I can tell a change.

So really, apart from the disappointing sound quality, this album is worth the extra dosh for the bonus tracks and DVD.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this for my girlfriend to play in the car on her work journeys. She is a big fan of Leonna Lewis and followed her closely on the X-Factor.

Disc: 1

3. Better In Time
4. Footprints In The Sand
5. Forgive Me
6. A Moment Like This

She was more than happy with it when I presented it to her and she played the whole CD a significant amount of times before she got bored of it. I'm also a Leonna fan (not that I was buying it for me of course) and did enjoy about 4-5 of the sounds out of the 16 and felt that the others were below standard and were only put in there to 'Bulk Up' the CD (This is common with many albums).

The sound quality is to an acceptable standard and although the CD has not been used for some time, I did feel that I had a certain amount of value for money and are pleased with my purchase.

Verdict: 7/10
on 2 January 2010
Leona Lewis stormed onto the music world back in 2006 with her Christmas number 1 'A Moment Like This'. Then about 11 months later she continued an actual CAREER (something only achieved by xfactor singers Will Young, Alex Burke, JLS and Leona) with 'Bleeding Love', coming straight in at number 1. Then she nicked snow patrols lyrics and released 'Run' which again got to number one. Plus, the album topped the billboard 200. That's quite hard to do.

This is enough (probably not but i don't want to write any more) to show you that i like the album and that leona is exteremly popular with everyone else. I will conclude by scoring her songs as it seem everyone else has (out of 10);

1. Bleeding Love 10
15. Forgive Me 9
16. Misses Glass 9
17. Run 11
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I'm the sort of bloke who regularly does ridiculous things - as a result of which I frequently feel like kicking myself.

In the matter of letting my deep-seated aversion to Simon Cowell stand between me and the, quite phenomenally, lovely Leona Lewis all these years however, I am tempted to invite everyone in my street to take a good swing at me.

My street, incidentally, is but a couple of streets away from Hopefield Animal Sanctuary. It's a very noble little enterprise that rescues horribly abused animals and for which the gorgeous Ms Lewis, as one of its patrons, does so many good things: none of which I was fully aware of until recently, when I finally managed to drag my fat carcass down there to have a look-see. The shame I felt for having never visited it before paled into insignificance once I realised that - although I immediately loved her, unconditionally, for having personally shelled out for some snazzy (and desperately needed) new stables - I had absolutely no idea who Leona Lewis was. So, I sent for this CD and DVD collection.

What a pity I didn't send for anything I could use for self-flagellation purposes too because, although I have only experienced this product for about a week, I just want someone (ANYONE!?) to lump me one for being such a total doofus these past nine years!

My goodness me - this woman blows me away. Have I been in a coma or something since 2006?!

I'm going to sound like I'm either drunk or souped up on something questionable in this review, I just know it. I'm not though: I promise you, I'm not.

It's Leona Lewis - she's done something to me.

This is a weird review for me to write since anyone reading it will almost certainly have a greater appreciation of Leona Lewis than I have. Given the speed at which televisual signals are able to traverse the solar system, there are probably aliens several light years away with a greater appreciation of Leona Lewis than I have. That's going to change though. Oh yes. She won't find it easy to shake me off now!

In just a week, 'A Moment Like This' has become my head's favourite tune. I simply can't shake it off! It's the tune I tap my fingers to in the car, the song I wave my loofah to in the bath and it's the tune I chop my veg to while I'm preparing my vegetarian dinner (that's right - in just a week, she's turned me vegetarian too. Well, her and most of the inhabitants of Hopefield). It's so catchy that I even tap my toes to it, from memory, while I'm whittling down my loo rolls (don't blame me - blame the vegetables...).

The lyrics to that song are tough to dwell upon though, given that the moment I myself waited 'a lifetime for' has, almost certainly, been long ago left behind in my rear-view mirror. But the power of that music - especially in association with the video here - is hard to shake off. My heavens, if I hadn't let Simon Cowell and those ridiculous trousers of his scare me away in 2006, I might even now still be married to the woman who, undoubtedly, gave me my 'moment'.

Or maybe not... since I think my 'moment' came a little too quickly for her, her own 'moment' having to be helped along with the aid of something battery-powered ten minutes later. I can't help thinking though that the discussion that would've arisen though repeated airings of this song would - for good or evil - have kept the whole subject matrimonially alive. If only on life-support.

I won't bore you with the details of how marvellous a singer Ms Lewis is. You'll already know that. Unlike me, you haven't been living in a cave for nine years. You'll already know how photogenic she is in her videos too. No doubt you will agree with me too that she has, without question, the most beautiful eyes the world has ever seen.

Ah - but she is not COMPLETELY wonderful though. Or, rather, her songs are not all completely wonderful. I speak, of course, of 'Bleeding Love'. I'm afraid I would have to be threatened with violence before I could ever recommend that song to anyone else. Leona sings it beautifully and the videos (particularly the New York one) do her more than adequate justice... but, all the same, it sounds to me the way I thought only my hangover might sound to me. The fact that, by listening to this, everyone can share in my headache is no great consolation. The bassline (or whatever the fancy term for it is) of 'Bleeding Love' is bleeding awful. End of story.

I'm actually quite glad that it is though - because otherwise this review would be so incredibly one-sided that it would postively reek of insincerity.

I think I'm done here. Someone like Leona Lewis doesn't need an insignificant little nobody like me to speak for her in order to sell more albums. She's a talented, mesmerising and eminently worthy recording artist. And yet, she is so much more.

I would personally like to thank everyone who voted for this amazing woman, back in 2006. I would, undoubtedly, have rung up a four figure telephone bill on her behalf, just on my own. If I hadn't been... where the hell exactly WAS I?!!

Yes, you enabled a gorgeous woman to live her 'moment', hopefully over and over again.

But, as a result of that, you have helped her promote an extremely worthy cause here in my home town. And, as a minor aside, you've given me the kick up the backside I needed to contribute something worthwhile to the community myself.

Now, if we could only encourage Simon Cowell to rig up some some sort of mud-wrestling face-off between Ms Lewis and our local MP Sir Eric Pickles...

Good grief - Hopefield would never want for money again!
on 29 November 2008
Spirit - The Deluxe Edition [CD+DVD] I thought twice about re-purchasing this album, but then decided to risk it. I don't know whether anybody else has touched upon this, but apart from the so-called "single mix" tracks, which are different from the original Spirit album, most of the other tracks seem have been tweaked too; I'd even go so far as to say they have been subtly remixed.

Whereas the backing track music could sound a little thin and plodding on some tracks before, this now seems to have been redressed, and the music and Leona's voice do appear to be much richer, smoother sounding, and refreshing, giving - to my ears at least - all the old tracks a breath of fresh air.

Therefore, for Leona fans at least, even without considering the three new tracks available on this deluxe edition, I think this re-issued album is well worth buying.

Well I hope it's not my imagination, and I don't think my ears are lying to me, but maybe someone else should confirm this too ... Anyway, I think it sounds much better!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
To be perfectly honest 12 months ago I wouldn't have been seen dead buying anything that was a result of a TV show. Even when I heard her debut single and grudgingly had to admit it wasn't bad I couldn't see myself forking out for the album.

This all changed last week!!! When I first heard new single 'Run' on the radio at work it sent shivers down my spine but I had no idea it was Leona until I asked a colleague and was jaw droppingly amazed so as soon as payday arrived I rushed out to buy it.

Since then I have been listening to this album non-stop and I finally have to concede that a true star has been found due to the X Factor.

If you are thinking of purchasing this album I highly recommend it. It reminds me of how Mariah Carey used to sound when she first started out and even draws comparisons to Whitney Houston and other great female singers. Truly unbelievable voice.

I really hope she has a long career and is not another here today gone tomorrow act as on the strength of this album she can only get better and better.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I am so glad that I put off buying this album - I can understand why some people would feel miffed about buying an album only for a deluxe version to be released months later. Part of the reason why I put off buying it for so long was that, because she won X Factor, I thought she would be a one trick pony. How wrong I was! To my recollection, Leona is the only winner of X Factor to actually stand the test of time and get beyong the inevitable Christmas number one.
This is a stunning album. It shows that she has true talent and deserves to be where she is. Personally, for me, the song which made me reach into my pocket and part with my hard-earned cash was the brilliant cover of "Run". Then I had to swallow my pride and admit that they really had found someone with talent.
Seeing that she has a new album coming out in October of this year, I am greatly looking forward to what her second studio album will bring. Because, as good as SPIRIT may be, I am eager to hear what else she has to offer.
on 23 October 2009
Having already purchased Spirit why buy the deluxe version simples it has the incredible track Run on it !! she has taken the original Snow Patrol track too a whole new level and then some talk about making a song your own she did so in spades and I will never understand what on earth possessed her record company to make such a huge mistake in bringing it out as a download only single which of course smashed all down load records in a flash.

What else can you say about Spirit I think the stats speak for themselves 6.5 million copies sold world wide 27 platinum discs worldwide Hollywood bigwigs fighting for the rights to tracks to use in future films need I go on

What an awesome start to a glittering career Bring on Echo !!
on 8 December 2008
I did buy the original "Spirit" but saw there were extras on this re-release together with a short DVD - and so pleased I bought this second album. I just love the track "Run" and Leona sung it so well on XF the other week with the choir. The arrangements are great - I can't stop playing the album - her voice is beautiful and so melodic. I cannot understand the negativeness of some reviewers' remarks. This is just the start of Leona's career and I am sure she will make all sorts of different albums as her career progresses. I am looking forward to her releasing her albums each time. I never tire of Leona's voice and "Run" is definitely worthy of the No 1 spot (on 7 Dec charts).
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I bought this album when it was first released and I have to admit it was played non stop. The girl has an amazing voice so it was no suprise she made it huge everywhere. When I heard they were rereleasing Spirit I was quite dissapointed that she wasn't doing another album and was determined not to buy it until I heard run. The vocals on that song alone make this album a must even if you have the other copy.
I always liked Leona but she has matured beyond belief and this album is fantastic. She sounds so good and all the extra features and different versions of the songs on the album make it a total must buy if your a fan or even if your just hearing her for the first time.