4.0 out of 5 stars one kick ass album!
a good blend of hip hop, trip hop and mellow sounds with a loud of DJ Shadow weird samples, a must for any DJ Shadow or trip hop fan.
Published on 13 Jun 2000 by MR B CLARK

3.0 out of 5 stars Psyence Fiction
Bought on the back of seeing them live....Not as good as War Stories which i'd definately reccommend.
Published on 31 Jan 2008 by M. Gribby

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars one kick ass album!, 13 Jun 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars No. 1 album of this decade (IMHO), 5 Dec 1999
By A Customer
A year and a half ago I was totally oblivious to DJ Shadow and the world of MoWax until a friend of mine told me he was psyched up to buy an album by this duo called UNKLE. I decided to accompany him and boy am I glad that I did. As we walked into the Music shop I saw his eyes gleam with excitement :: The Limited Edition CD :: stood on the shelves amongst the others others. People walked by and took less than a second's glance at it. I picked it up and wondered what all the fuss was all about. I put it down again realising that the track info was inside the little package. My friend picked up several CDs examining them looking for the best one and then prompty went to pay for it. It wasn't until a week later that I borrowed the CD from my friend to listen to. From beginning to end every track was really music to my eyes (apart from the quizzical interlude... amusing but annoying at the same time) I went out to buy the CD immediately after that...My favourite tracks being Lonely Soul, Celestial Annihilation and Bloodstain.

5.0 out of 5 stars You. Need. This. Album., 15 Dec 2001
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
Even if you have never heard of DJ Shadow or James Lavell (I appologise for all spelling mistakes now), even if you dont like Hip Hop, Trip Hop or music with a definate beat, you actually cant help but be astounded by this album, as well as being hugely diverse in content, from Hip Hop to Punky Metal to scratched over samples it also has a huge range of guest musicians, including Thom Yorke (Radiohead), Mike D (Beastie Boys) and Ian Brown (Ummm, Ian Brown). So its all good, and if youve just stumbled on this some how and have no idea what Im going on about, buy it anyhow, and enjoy music that will actually excite you.

5.0 out of 5 stars come join the men ( and women) from UNKLE, 19 Dec 2001
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
If you want something eclectic, funky but accessible - this is it. DJ Shadow and James Lavelle act as musical fertiliser allowing the many collaborators on this album to do their good stuff even better. Badly Drawn Boy, Richard Ashcroft and Thom Yorke all sparkle under their new Unkle's watchful eye. The ball breaker track is funniest thing you'll hear for a long time too. The only shame is that the Ian Brown vocal is missing that was used in the single from the album. Damn fine all the same.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not new, 3 April 2014
PSAROPOULOS STEFANOS (Thessaloniki, GREECE) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
Greetings from Thessaloniki, Geece.
I received the cd and I sad to realise that it was NOT new. The digipack has bent and worn corners. The disc also has a not deep but long scratch. It is obious used. I am not pleased. I could buy a used one from the beging with a lot lower price.
I took some photos to proove what I say here.
Stefanos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album, 26 Nov 2013
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
What can I write about an style of music other than if you've never heard them and like electric and rock then give it a go

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this album right now!, 14 May 2013
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
Talk about unique and sexy. No not me, I mean this album. I am a huge fan of DJ Shadow anyway but when his skills are combined with great singers and production masters you have a masterpiece. This a rare and beautiful dark and stormy cd. Sublime breaks n beats, underground edginess and highly skilled melodies.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad at all, 11 April 2008
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
I enjoyed this album - it's certainly nowhere near as bad as the NME would have you believe, and in places is actually quite funny!

The "Unreal" track seems to be quite popular with the BBC - it's been used as incidental soundtrack music in the defunct cop drama "City Central", and as the trailer music for the first series of "Rome", for example.

Although it's not what I'd call great, I find I keep going back to this album - it's definitely worth a listen.

3.0 out of 5 stars Psyence Fiction, 31 Jan 2008
M. Gribby (Nottingham UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply beautiful music..., 25 Jun 2003
This review is from: Psyence Fiction (Audio CD)
Trip Hop pioneer D.J Shadow and Breaks veteran/ Mo Wax Boss James Lavelle join forces to create a musical master piece, an album (in my opinion) which is unrivalled in both beauty and production.
To try to categorise this album would be wrong, this album simply defies this process. The attention to detail and the expert production values shines throughout, from the quirky sci-fi samples to the awesome scratching of Shadow himself. This album was released to critical acclaim, with the album making the top 20 albums of the year in many publications including Mixmag and Spin.
Simply put this is one of the greatest albums ever to come into fruition - genre defying, endlessly listenable and lovingly crafted. The album bounds from genre to genre with each track providing a strong example of that style, the album touches on the bouncing hip hop beats of "Knock - Drums of death, part 2" featuring the rhythms of Mike D from the Beastie Boys, the sublime trip hop beats of "Lonely Soul" featuring Richard Ashcroft, the raw Goth rock of "nursery breather" and the morbid, piano led moans of Thom Yorke in "Rabbit in your headlights".
In a word - essential...