5.0 out of 5 stars We love, 'we love life'
Published on 27 Sep 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars ambivilant about "Life"
I was *extremely* looking forward to this album and, as I live in NY, had to go out of my way to get it (there are no plans to release the album stateside at this time). In spite of (or perhaps due to) all of this, I feel disappointed. The music is stellar: composition, production, etc. The lyrics, on their own, are interesting (some of them even quite good)...
Published on 1 Nov 2001

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars We love, 'we love life', 27 Sep 2003
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
I don't often write these online reviews for my purchases, but when I saw that pulps latest offering only has an average of 4.5 stars, I couldn't sit back and do nothing. After being a little apprehensive about getting this, as I thought pulp had gone all optimism crazed after the back-lash they recieved from 'this is hardcore', but I was most pleasantly surprised. This is an incredible, moving and heartfelt album. You can tell the band have really found their place and arecontent with life, and the experience is enriched because of this. Stand out tracks for me are 'the wickerman', an epic song of life contained within the boundaries of city life, and the beautiful 'roadkill'. Jarvis' lyrics are as witty as ever, and the tunes are equally good. Just as good as all previous efforts, you'll love life with 'we love life'.

4.0 out of 5 stars Back, stronger, more mature, more skilful., 9 Nov 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
After their last album, "This Is Hardcore", an often uncomfortable soundtrack to inner crisis and celebrity meltdown, many had written Pulp off and wondered if Jarvis had just lost the ability to write good pop songs.
"We Love Life" deserves to re-establish Pulp as one of the best bands produced in the UK within the last few years. Lyrically, there's the trademark Cocker humour ("The Night That Minnie Timperley Died") and references to places in Sheffield (the epic "Wickerman"), but there's also topical references (asylum seekers in "Weeds") and some gentle romantic sentiments too (especially the gorgeous 60s-style "The Birds In Your Garden" is a more than worthy successor to "Something Changed" on 1995's "Different Class" album).
One thing that really strikes you about this album is just how much the band have developed as musicians, I never realised before what a good guitarist Jarvis is. The production values of 60s icon Scott Walker have obviously encouraged the band to expand their range.
It's a different Pulp, but an improved one. More reflective, more mature and will certainly confound many people's expectations.
It's gorgeous.

4.0 out of 5 stars We Love Pulp, 21 Oct 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
While it doesn't compare to their last two albums (but then again, what does?!), We Love Life does present Pulp's more earnest and cerebral side. Songs such as "Trees", the vocally layered chorus-friendly single, and the upbeat "Weeds" take the prog rockers out to nature with splendid results. At its best, songs like "Bad Cover Version" (in my opinion, the album's prime cut) and the lovely grandness of "Birds In Your Garden" encapture the towering melodies prevalent in past songs such as "Sylvia" and "Fear." They also offer their songs of Pulpy prose (a la "I Spy"), in half spoken/half sung manners. The ambience of "The Weeds II" is slick and trippy while "Wickerman" moves along in its journey-like storytelling aura. I prefer the former type of Pulp songs, ones with soaring melodies and knock-out choruses, but at the end of the day there is something for every Pulp fan in We Love Life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love We Love Life, 6 Nov 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
"I'm gonna fight to the death 'til they give me back my life" Jarvis Cocker screams for 'I Love Life' on Pulp's 9th long-player "We Love Life" produced by music legend Scott Walker. In "We Love Life" i have to admitted that the musicians and producers did a better job than the singer Jarvis Cocker. This is a album full of strings, orchestra, heavy drums, heavy bass, choir, thunder and the sound of nature.

When i first put it into my cheap mini hi-fi, the sounds are breaking like hell till i put my headphone on, here's the best piece of music i've heard this year. The opening track "Weeds" (The Velvet Underground style) and continuous "Weeds II (the origin of the species)" thought you about the good and bad of weeds. "someone gonna make a fortune one day, if only they can market this stuff right". The current single "The Trees" are about a lost love among the trees are full of orchestration and strings. "I Love Life" thought you to appreciate your own life and "The Birds In Your Garden" are to appreciate the person that you love. "if you wait till tomorrow, she'll no longer be there.../you know is now or never".

The most beautiful song of the album "Bad Cover Version" covered with Christmas Bell, orchestra, strings and beautiful choir sang about a bad cover version of love that'll never works. "It's like a later "Tom & Jerry" when the two of them could talk", he sang. There are a sad and melancholy in "Roadkill" with guitars plucking and electric cello delivered. The best track of the album, i would like to say is "Wickerman". An 8 minutes journey to a dark and polluted world. Also covered by lightning and thunder and strings. The closing track "Sunrise" are ended with three and a half minutes of orchestrations make it such a perfect ending not like the 1998 "This Is Hardcore" ended with an uncountable minutes of eerie sound that nobody could ever finished it.

Pulp are now not only described as "the only Britpop survivor" they are even bigger and better and the records they made are priceless and timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pulp's Sunset?, 26 Sep 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
Different Class was allegedly Pulp at their finest and most commercial, a very clever piece of work. This Is Hardcore was menacing and complex but a fete of genius in hard times. I have a strong suspicion that We Love Life surpasses them both. Musically they have grown up and I would defy anyone vaguely interested in Pulp not to find it the most simplistic and easy to listen to of all the albums to date. The 'nature' theme is an inspiration and certainly an alternative way of saying something.
Sit in a darkened room, close your eyes and get carried away firstly with the resounding intro of 'Weeds', a driving, pounding melody with references to outcasts, freaks and refugees, one of the standout tracks. The conclusion of the song hauntingly and electronically slides into 'Weeds II' (The Origin Of The Species)...shades of Seductive Barry without the melancholy of This Is Hardcore surrounding it and minus the emphasis on sex but just as sensual with its pace, a truly hypnotic song. 'The Night Minnie Timperley Died' is another gem - surely single status? Again a resonating and powerful rythym, possibly one of the most energetic - totally wonderful! Maybe this evolved from a news story somewhere but stories are good to listen to and of course it can make a difference who is narrating them. 'The Trees'...this one is one of those lush delights improved upon by the presence of the harmonious Swingle Singers and they have done true justice to other songs on the album too. I love the song, once I'd managed to convince myself that it did not sound like a Eurovision entry. Prepare to be transported with 'Wickerman'. It is the 'Deep Fried In Kelvin' that we never thought we'd hear again as Jarvis shifts the mood back to Sheffield. The song appears to have various sections of changing music and that keeps it interesting. Again, another story, a more personal one...with the most perfect musical backdrop. The longest track at 8 minutes, it could have lasted longer...I was ready and willing to follow the River's Don and Porter a little further...
'I Love Life' had never particularly leapt out as me before, until now. It's another outstanding song with a great build up towards the end with the words 'fight to the death until they give me back my life' - very poignant - 'breathe in, breath out'.
'Birds In Your Garden'. This along with 'Minnie' has been one of my favourites for so long. What can I say? It's so romantic but of course with sexual overtones and sang with an emotion that only Jarvis can find. Delightful. 'Bob Lind' is joyful, it's almost a throwaway track but too good to be such a thing, very melodic and simple...pity it will probably never see the light of day as a single due to the censors.
The emotional but gushing sounds of 'Bad Cover Version' are atmospheric, a brilliant song but with it comes the only real criticism of the whole album. I can't help but feel that talk of Tom and Jerry, the Stones and own brand cornflakes at the end cheapens it and creates a flippancy that doesn't sit well with the majority of the song. Oh but 'Roadkill' could never be accused of flippancy, in keeping with 'Birds In Your Garden' this isn't just quite emotional, this is utterly heart wrenching stuff, probably the most beautiful song. Listen and cry!
'Sunrise' I feel I've been listening to forever but this doesn't detract. Apart from a chorus that I have only recently managed to get used to the song is a masterpiece and the final soaring crescendo creates a perfect conclusion.
This whole album is helped by displaying Jarvis' voice at its most natural and the Scott Walker production was a stroke of genius but finally, lets not forget the exceptional musicians that make up this extraordinary band.
So this IS their Sunrise and an overwhelming one it has turned out to be - where Pulp would go from here I have no idea....

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this Rock?, 13 Nov 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
Pulp's new album certainly is their most interesting work to date. Whereas 'Different Class' had broad appeal with its anthems and alternative take on the britpop scene, 'This Is Hardcore' sunk into the depths of depression and seemed only to have relevance for only the diehard pulp fan, or the very broken down and lonely. 'We Love Life' is an entirely different entity. Although some traces of Hardcore still remain, this is an uplifting album, bold and idiosyncratic. The lyrics re-establish Mr Cocker as the finest lyricist of our time, and Scott Walker's production strengthens these songs into a moment of epiphany.
Stand out tracks inlcude the up-tempo 'The Night That Minnie Timperly Died' showcasing an acid blend of disco and rock; 'Bird's In Your Garden' is my personal favourite complete with bird tweeting and sleezey wordplay; 'I Love Life' rocks, as does the magificient 'Bob Lind'.
This is an album that stirs something inside and makes you want to dance. Although the lyrics sometimes chaste, gently nudging you into a pessimistic world view, the majority of the album delivers a serene and beautiful package that warms the cockles.
It seems that Pulp are out of favour in the current music arena, but if this album is anything to go by, they plan to sit back and let a revolution take place before them. This is soul music that really must be listened to.

5.0 out of 5 stars A more chilled out Pulp - the come down album?, 29 Oct 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
From the majestic sewlling of the 'Wickerman', all 8 minutes of it, to the dispear of having to wake up to the idea that the night can't go on forever 'Sunrise' this album takes you on a nature trail of what Cocker and his friends have all been up to since the last album.
The sound is much more unrushed affair and would appeal to any avid listener of the easy listening era, due to the fact the on the outside it all seems to be birds and trees, but after careful listening to the lyrics it is obvious to see Pulp havn't lost the fact that maybe love makes the world go round, and so do break ups.
There are some smashing songs on here that even Scott Walker (Producer of the album) would be proud of namely: 'Wickerman', 'Sunrise', 'Birds in Your Garden', and the lovely 'The Trees'.
Do yourself a favour, dim the lights pour yourself a drink and relax with Pulp's nature... splendid.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long awaited return does not disappoint, 20 Nov 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
Pulp's brilliant new album, We Love Life, has been a long time coming for devoted fans, but definitely worth the wait. The collaboration with Scott Walker has produced a great mix of new material, the best of which are:
The Birds in Your Garden, although once described as 'soppy', has a really strong chorus, in common with The Night that Minnie Timperley Died, which also features a memorable guitar intro. Bad Cover Version is arguably Cocker's greatest lyrical triumph. I Love Life, a solid album track, has been enhanced by Walker's magical potent ending. The haunting melody of Sunrise makes it the best song of the album. Highly recommended, as good if not better than Different Class.

4.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing maturity, 29 Oct 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
I grew up through my teenage years listening to Pulp. Before they had commercial success with His n Hers and Different Class, albums like IT, Freaks and Seperations were the soundtrack to my life. However, since This is Hardcore, I had become pretty tired of Pulp's style, and although I knew I would have to buy it, I certainly wasn't looking forward to listening to 'We Love Life'. I was sick of stories of teenage sex and not fitting in. Bad love lives and depression.
'We Love Life' is a welcome change for the better into a more mature and optimisic sound. The new sound seems somehow influenced by the new breed of indie - bands like Travis and Coldplay. There is also a welcome resemblence to the sound of earlier albums such as Seperations. For instance, the end of the track 'Wickerman' sounds a lot like the song 'The River' on that album. Albeit executed much more successfully. The album title also reminds me of a track on their first album - IT. There was a track on there called Looking for Life. The lyrics to that song make me think that perhaps this album is a nod in that direction to indicate how far they have come since those days.
I recommend this to any Pulp fan who might have gone off them, you'll find this album a pleasant surprise.

4.0 out of 5 stars This May Become Five Stars After A Few Listens, 22 Oct 2001
This review is from: We Love Life (Audio CD)
25 seconds into this album you realise two things. 1) How good it is to have Pulp back again and 2) They may have been going for 15 years but there's still nobody to take over the mantle from them.
Some things haven't changed since Pulp were last releasing music. Jarvis Cocker is still a brilliant, frequently amusing and individual lyricist and he still sings about being cast as an outsider far better than anybody else. Still, he's cheered up since "This Is Hardcore" and, although there are fewer memorable choruses than "Different Class", this is still an excellent release and well worth hearing. The band, perhaps overlooked in favour of attention on the lead singer, provide a musical backdrop as fine as ever.
The finest individual song is "Birds In Your Garden", a glorious, beautiful love song not a million miles removed from "Something Changed". It also occasionally sounds a little like UB40's "Kingston Town" but in a good way.
Elsewhere, opener "Weeds" is excellent and "The Night That Minnie Timperly Died" contains a fine riff that matches the quality of the lyrics. "Wickerman" takes you on a long, winding and fascinating journey through Sheffield while "Bob Lind" offers a welcome change of pace. Single "The Trees" and "Bad Cover Version" (which bears a resemblance to Blur's "to the End" and Pulp's own "Sylvia") deserve honourable mentions.
So any criticisms? Well, kind of. A few of songs are stylistically similar (both to each other and songs on other Pulp albums) and there is not as much change in the pace and atmosphere of the songs as there could be. When you consider the quality of the songs and how good the atmosphere is, however, these are minor quibbles.
This album isn't likely to win Pulp many new fans but anybody who likes Pulp is unlikely to be disappointed with this latest collection.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›