5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but not seen a better romantic film since!
Published on 22 Mar 2007 by Ms. L. J.

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining romance movie flawed by a poor transfer to DVD
I won't go into Somewhere in Time's worth as entertainment here - suffice to say that I think it's a wonderful film, adapted by the brilliant short story writer Richard Matheson from his own story and well worth 5 stars. But in this review I'm focusing on the technical aspects which I feel detract from the DVD.

This DVD (ASIN: B0000UM0OE) features a 'matted...
Published on 13 Oct 2007 by Ian Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars An oldie but not seen a better romantic film since!, 22 Mar 2007
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
I too first saw this film when I was very young and fell in love with the story, and for a film to stand out still over 20 years later is rare. Christoper Reeves gives an excellent performance as does Jane Seymour. My favourite scene has to be when Richard (Reeves) first arrives at the hotel and walks into the hotel's room of memorabilia and is suddenly struck by the portrait of Elise on the wall. You can almost feel her pulling him towards her and his excitement and determination to find her in the past...if only you could fall in love like that in real life! The music makes me tingle even after all these years. If your a true romantic then this is the film for you...plenty of tissues for the end! Ultimately I would say this is probably one of my most favourite films of all time. Enjoy! :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Somewhere inTime ......., 11 May 2006
Viewer 17 (Lancs, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
A beautiful film with wonderful music and restrained but charismatic acting by the late, great Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour and Chistopher Plummer. It was filmed on Mackinac Island in Lake Michigan in summer 1979 where the atmospheric Grand Hotel really exists and cars have always been outlawed so that to this day transport is by horse and carriage or bicycle only.

The story is a love story that spans time - 1912 to 1972 and 1980 that takes little imagination to be credible. Elise McKenna is a figure wrapped in mystery who becomes more and more real as the story unfolds. There is a powerful magnetic attraction between Richard Collier and her that defies the limitations of space and time. Throughout the film there is the hauntingly beautiful music specially composed by John Barry that provides a golden thread to underly and link the present/past continuum and the events as they gradually unfold.

There is an amazing scene beside the lake where Elise gets to know Richard and starts to fall in love that is a series of animated canvases by impressionist painters with the couple and music at the centre.

From the first to the very end, this film involves the audience in an emotional, magical ride that is dramatic, light, amusing and pure watching and listening pleasure. You will want to come back to this film again and again as you fall under the subtle spell it casts and bestows a gift that will remain with you always.

4.0 out of 5 stars More real for me now., 15 Nov 2006
Robin Johnston (Michigan, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
I've loved this film for 20 years. The chemistry between Reeve and Seymour is clear from the first time they meet.

Initially unsuccessful at the box office, it was only when the video came out that it became popular. How gratifying that people have been drawn to it through recommendation rather than hype and also astonishing to think that Reeve and the Director did this off the back of 2 films of a very different genre - Superman and Jaws 2 respectively.

I've not read the novel, but for some reason the screenplay reminds me of Jane Austen, so if you don't mind that kind of thing, get the DVD and settle back with your loved one, a good bottle of wine and a box of tissues.

5.0 out of 5 stars somewhere in time, 25 Jan 2004
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
a truly wonderful film which has acheived cult status over the last decade or so.although the film received rave reviews upon its release in 1980,the cinema audiences were low within the uk,and the film fared far better on its eventual release onto vhs.the film in essence recounts the story of a young man who is approached at a party,by an elderly lady,who hands him a watch and says"come back to me".subsequent enquiries reveal that the young playright had been approached by a former actress from 1912.the playright,played superbly by christopher reeve,makes enquiries and falls in love with the actress,played by jane seymour.he then travels back in time to be with her.the film is comlemented by a moving score from john barry.a timeless classic.the only complaint is that the movie sports a poor 2 channel soundtrack,and grainy picture.a definite ten out of ten had it been digitally restored by universal

3.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining romance movie flawed by a poor transfer to DVD, 13 Oct 2007
Ian Cooper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)

This DVD (ASIN: B0000UM0OE) features a 'matted widescreen' transfer which works fine on smaller 4:3 TVs, but which looks awful on larger screen or widescreen TVs. I believe that every DVD today should be made in 'anamorphic widescreen' format so that the image is enhanced for viewing on a larger screen. If it's not then I think that the low image quality should be clearly marked in some way, as the lack of an anamorphic transfer makes a big difference in quality. In the case of this particular movie the image is very poor mostly due to the matted widescreen format that results in what's known as 'gutterboxing' (black bars all around the image) when the movie is played on widescreen TVs. Some TVs allow zooming in to fill the screen in cases like this, but then the image becomes very grainy - so much so that it's probably better to watch it in the 'gutterboxed' mode.

So in conclusion, those with standard 4:3 TVs under 30 inches probably won't notice any loss of resolution. But for folks with big screen TVs I advise waiting until this movie gets an updated DVD treatment. Sadly there is no anamorphic transfer of this movie at present. Hopefully at some point we will get a restored and remastered version of this classic film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dying of a broken heart?, 17 Oct 2001
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [VHS] (VHS Tape)
As a cynical teenager I first saw this film... As I have been fortunate to age wisely I have been able to get over this cynicism. I have also been fortunate to find what many would call my "soul mate".
This film made me realise that it was possible.
If that sounds like romantic claptrap, watch the movie and I defy you to come away unaffected :-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Mar 2007
Mrs. A. M. Chadwick (Lancashire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
I first saw this movie back on TV during the late 1980's when they showed it for the first time.

It's a story that says love is timeless. I don't want to mention anything about the story as it would really spoil it for you. I will say it's a great story starring the late Christopher Reeves, and the lovely Jane Seymour.

It's one of my all time favourites which I love to watch. :-)

Have a look at my review on the soundtrack album.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the All Time Great Romances, 20 July 2004
E. A. Redfearn "eredfearn2" (Middlesbrough) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [DVD] (DVD)
A Commercial failure upon its initial release, it has been often shown on Television and has acquired admirers everywhere. Overall its a wonderful love story about a young writer (Christopher Reeve)who upon staying at a lakeside hotel on Lake Michigan becomes entranced by a portrait of an actress who had stayed in the hotel during 1912. With thought transference, he travels back in time and meets the actress (wonderfully portrayed by Jayne Seymour) They fall in love, but then tragedy strikes. I wont say much more except to say that it is a wonderful movie which hasnt dated at all. The DVD is very good indeed, enhanced by a documentary about "The Making off . . . " contains interviews with some of the stars; and gives a reason for its failure upon its initial release in 1980. Picture and sound is very good. And the music score by John Barry is worth a buy on its own. If you love good old fashioned romances, then go for it, you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic original tear jerker of a film!, 21 Feb 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [VHS] (VHS Tape)
If you have the slightest hint of romance in your body you will love this film. I can not see how anyone can not be effected by it. I first saw this as a child and loved it deeply but could never remember the name of it until somebody bought it for me. The film is superb the lovely story of man travelling back in time to be with the women he falls in love with. Now I am usually cynical but this film makes me cry everytime with a beautiful haunting soundtrack by John Barry. You can watch this repeatedly and still it does not fail to capture your heart....do not hesitate to buy this film.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Conquers All, 19 Oct 2003
Erich Wladkowski (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Somewhere In Time [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I first saw "Somewhere in Time" when it was released on video and was instantly hooked. This may be the ultimate "chick flick" but this guy loved it. And I'm sure plenty of males, having just a flicker of a romantic side, would too if they gave it a chance.
There is so much I enjoy about this film. From the unusual opening of the old woman and her plea to the young playwright, the way in which Richard is drawn to the portrait and becomes obsessed with the young woman, the time travel aspect, the unhurried pace and customs of a bygone era brought to life, the classic beauty of Elise (what a woman!), the joy and heartbreak of love found and lost, the uplifting and haunting score and the love conquers all finale.
In my eyes this is the classic romance film, and I always find something new with each viewing. What are you waiting for...get the movie and enjoy!

Somewhere in Time [1980] [DVD]
Somewhere in Time [1980] [DVD] by Jeannot Szwarc (DVD - 2009)