Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Shop now Learn more

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 27 March 2001
I must admit that I am a huge taxas fan so this review is a little bit biased. All the tracks on this album are songs you just want to hear over and over again, there is nothing that isn't good. If you listen to the lyrics (and since Sharleen sings so clearly, it's easy to do so) you will have to agree that they are outstanding and original and not a single one is mushy. There are songs on this album for everyone, wether you are a motown fan, a pop lover or more into rocky songs. The three new tracks on the album, In Demand, Inner Smile and Guitar Song are a great promise for the future and prove that Texas still know how to make cutting edge and great songs. My only massge to all you out there is buy this record, enjoy it and if you get a chance to go to a concert of their's, do so cos it's an experience you'll never forget. I would also like to add that the limited edition includes some fab remixes and clips.
on 21 October 2000
I suspect this is "too early" a greatest hits release (look at The Pretenders for example - they recently released a second greatest hits with nearly the same songs again !) because Texas still have 2 or 3 more albums in them at least. Unlike some Texas fans, I've been following them since 1989 and their Southside album (which *is* their best album to date, though "White on Blonde" is a close second). Amazon.co.uk's own review is way, way wide of the mark about claiming that older tracks haven't worn well - the ones quoted are actually amongst the strongest in the entire Texas catalogue (I've auto-repeated "Everyday Now" to death and "So In Love With You" from "Rick's Road" is a fantastic ballad). "So Called Friend" was so good that Ellen DeGeneres featured it as the theme tune for her "Ellen" series ! I'll tell you what's missing from the greatest hits CD - "You Gave Me Love" (the best studio non-album track Texas have ever recorded - from the "In My Heart" UK CD single) and the live version of "Why Believe In You" (from CD single 2 of "So In Love With You") which is arguably the best Texas track available anywhere. It's disappointing that amazon.co.uk don't have a listing for the limited edition (2-CD) version of this because that's the one any self-respecting Texas fan will want to buy of course. One final note - if the Eurythmics took the crown of the best UK pop band of the 1980's, then Texas succeeded them for the 1990's equivalent. Texas haven't been touched in the UK pop arena for a decade now for sheer consistently good songs and albums - you cannot name another UK band that comes remotely close to them.
on 9 June 2001
Texas have been around for quite some time and this album covers the wide range of both musical and vocal talents encompassed in the band. A must have for your collection. From the soulful 'Put your arms around me'through the recent 'Inner smile' to the old favorite 'I don't want a lover' there is something for everyone. Every body has a favorite Texas song. BUY IT>
on 27 April 2001
This is just a fantastic album. I was impressed with "The Hush" album, but this has really hit the nail on the head with their greatest hits. This album also cleverly combines some new material which is not normally seen on a hits compilation to the extent at which Texas dared to go. Each and everyone of the new songs I feel is worthy of being included. The album contains lots of the old favorites as well. There is one word that comes off the top of my head - Masterful. Well worth a listen or 1000!
on 16 February 2001
It's hard to believe that Texas have been around for ten years, but this album contains ten years of music from the most successful Scottish band of the nineties. This no.1 album, accompanied by, to date, two singles and a sold-out UK tour, was one of the best and most underrated album of 2000.
It's hard to pick out one track for special praise, but Halo is Texas at their bestand I Don't Want A Lover still sounds as good now as it did twelve years ago. The album also contains current singles In Demand and Inner Smile, as well as the anthemic Say What You Want, the Blondie-esque Summer Son and the gorgeous So In Love With You.
The Greatest Hits is a seriously classy record which probably deserved more recognition than it got.
VINE VOICEon 30 September 2006
Fronted by Sharleen Spiteri, Texas were formed in Glasgow in 1986 by Johnny McElhone. McElhone was no stranger to the UK charts, having previously played bass with Hipsway and Altered Images.

Texas' Greatest Hits collection contains 18 tracks and looks back over the band's releases between 1989 and 2000. The album's first track, "I Don't Want A Lover", was the band's first hit. It features a distinctively catchy slide guitar riff and is still one of my favourite songs by the band. The second track, however, was one of the songs recorded especially for this album; "In Demand" is a mellow affair that charted well on its release in the UK and is one that I just can't help liking. However, it's another of the 'new' recordings - the lazily titled "Guitar Song" - that makes it as my favourite song on the album. Featuring a sample of Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin's hit "Je T'aime...Moi Non Plus", it's catchy, laid back and relaxing. (It also has me reaching for the repeat button quite a bit).

The hits from "White on Blonde" are obviously included - "Black Eyed Boy", "Insane", "Halo" and "Say What You Want" were the songs that saw the band return to the charts after a long absence. ("Black Eyed Boy" - which, I am reliably informed, had distinct Motown influences - was my favourite of the four). The CD also finishes off with a remixed version of "Say What You Want", which features Method Man from the Wu-Tang Clan. For me, it's the album's only real weakness - the original version is much better and the remix wouldn't be a reliable introduction to the band.

Three songs from "The Hush" - the album that followed "White on Blonde" - are also included. They also charted well, though I prefer the chime-tastic "Summer Son" and "When We Are Together" to "In Our Lifetime". Three songs from their third album, "Rick's Road", have also been included. However, for some reason, the excellent "So Called Friend", "So In Love With You" and the Al Green cover "Tired of Being Alone" have all been re-recorded for this release. I was a little disappointed that nothing at all from their second album, "Mother's Heaven", made the cut.

Still, if you've liked anything at all the band has released, this is an album you should pick up. Recommended.
on 1 November 2000
It may seem slightly premature after just a decade of music but Texas have a Greatest Hits album out. Originally titled; ' Texas- the greatest Hits', Sharleen serenades us through eighteen of their best radio friendly singles. This latest release is a chronilogical tour of the 1990's for the band incorporating their more rocky era's through ' I don't want a lover', to their soulful successes; ' Say what you want' and ' In our lifetime', taking us bang up to date with their recent chart stormer; ' In Demand'. A greatest Hits album usually signifies that a band wish to end one era and start another, but Texas already did that in 1997 with their re- invention from respected rock outfit to mainstream success via ' White On Blonde'. So what about stand out tracks?- well there are of course the obvious gem; ' I don't want a lover', ' Say what you want', ' Halo' and ' In our lifetime' but there are also hidden treasures, namely new efforts ' Inner Smile' and ' So in love with you'. All of the above signify that Texas- The Greatest Hits' is a great listen, full of great, relaxing tunes which may even convert the unconvinced.
on 14 November 2000
I simply cannot figure out why this band does not break in the U.S. - I can't imagine why the new single (which gets hopelessly lodged in your head after a couple of listens) isn't in direct competition with the pap that passes for pop on the radio in NYC. Everyone I turn onto this band loves them almost immediately.
This collection is great for the newcomer and the old-time fan alike. There are two new cuts and they have reworked the older tracks to fit in more seamlessly with their later material. For example, "So In Love With You" has been reworked to include orchestrations and to tone down the less pop-like guitars of the original; I'm not sure but I'd say the vocals were rerecorded or at least remixed as some of the rawness of the original is lost in this version...but this is not a bad thing since it makes for a record that flows from begining to end. The only caveat I have is the tacking on of the last song redone as a pseudo-rap. This is basically shite and should have been left off the album.
on 17 March 2001
When i heard of Texas and this voice..i was so sure they had to be from Texas..Then i bought the cd and Reviews about the group. The girl has an awesome voice. The music is touching And makes me want to get out and dance when i am at a red light waiting to go. All i can say is that buy the cd listen to it and you'll want more.And when is the tour coming to Texas!!!..xxooxxo
on 12 January 2012
From an album collection of mostly 80s/90s plus assorted odds and ends, this album has the rare distinction of one I still play in its entirety, unchanged by the pick-and-mix options of portable and digital. Get the volume cranked up before the intro to I Don't Want A Lover and the rest follows easily. As a collection it hits many of my musical buttons with some variety such as across Inner Smile, Everyday Now and Put Your Arms Around Me. Personally I'd swap Insane for Saint off the Hush album, but regardless of Texas hovering in the shadows of musical limelight to some extent, this is a most impressive collection. It's an excellent sample of the group's music, and while it won't suit everyone's taste, if there are a couple of these songs that leap out, you won't go wrong with the rest.