Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

Shania's previous album to this, The woman in me, was a huge American success but did not yield any British hits. This is the album that made her famous in Britain and it's not difficult to see why. All the songs are catchy pop songs that have the potential to appeal to people of all ages. The original North American version (which I haven't heard but would probably like even better) apparently has more of a country feel to it. This version, remixed for the European market, shows only limited evidence of Shania's country roots.
This album yielded five British hit singles, these being You're still the one (top ten), When (top twenty), From this moment on (top ten), That don't impress me much (top three) and Man I feel like a woman (top three). Don't be stupid was remixed again for single release and made the top 5. Many of the other songs had hit potential and it must have been difficult selecting which ones to be released as singles. I understand that several of them were hits in America and elsewhere. Of those that didn't become British hits, I particularly like Honey I'm home (a strong woman song reminiscent of Any man of mine, from The woman in me album), If you wanna touch her ask, Rock this country, I'm holding on to love, Black eyes blue tears (a song about a battered woman) and the song featured in the Notting Hill soundtrack, You've got a way. Well, that only leaves about four songs that I haven't mentioned but they are also good.
Some country fans don't like this but although I, even as a country fan, enjoy listening to her sing pop music when it's this good. Shania has made the switch to pop very effectively, at least on this album. This should not come as a surprise to anybody who knows that Shania was, for a time, a member of a choir that sang a diverse range of material, but particularly theatrical music (and nothing remotely country). So when Shania's pop career is finished, she will have plenty of options.
Enjoy this for what it is - an upbeat pop album.
on 2 October 2005
There are times when I'd use the word 'pop' in its most dismissive sense - cheap, superficial, ephemeral, commercial, hyped-up pap. But there are elements of pop which rise way above the baseline. Shania Twain is a class act who has taken country into the pop charts without dumbing down. She has a great voice, collaborates with her producer/husband in the writing of some memorable numbers, and has great stage presence and personality - a belief in herself and her abilities which she projects outstandingly well.
The songs (all songs on this album are written by her and her partner) achieve a sophisticated pop/ballad feel - there is a driving beat, but it is subservient to the emotion and feel of the song and the potency of her voice. The words convey a raw irony and almost self-conscious understanding of life's ups and downs.
This is excellent, sophisticated pop, or country-pop, or pop-country, from a highly accomplished performer. Shania Twain delivers energy music - this is an album to play when you're feeling a little down, a little tired, or need a quick boost of her dynamic persona.
'Man! I feel like a woman' & 'That don't impress me much' are the anthems from this album, future classics which will be played decades from now as synonymous with the best of the era's music. They are belted out with rare quality and ooomph! But there are no weak tracks on this album, no fillers. You get a variety of rhythms, beats and emotions in what is a quality production from a real, class act.
on 12 November 2000
This has to be one of the best albums I have ever listened to. without doubt a classic. The tracks are just brilliant from the up tempo "Man I Feel Like A Woman" to the slow "From This Moment On". Shania certainly has a huge talent for music. The blend of modern music with classic country music is truely awe inspiring. It is an album I will never grow tired of listening to. I highly reccomend people to buy it. and buy it NOW!!
on 20 August 2006
songs for nights out. Songs for nights in. Songs for new boyfriends. Songs for breakups. This CD has songs for every occasion all of them perfect for a good sing-a-long no matter wether your cleaning the house or getting ready to go out! CLASSIC MEMORYS!!
on 18 November 1999
A friend of mine lent me the UK version of this, and I was very impressed. Therefore, while on holiday recently in New England, I decided to buy my own copy. I wasn't expecting any differences, but I have to say that two of the tracks - "That don't impress.." and "From this moment" are much better versions than those on the UK release. If you want Shania singing it country-style (which I prefer), buy the US CD. Whatever, UK or US, it's a great CD.
on 11 December 1999
this has got to be one of the best cd's i have listened to in along time .each track that you here is as good as the last one . If you like good dance music or good slow songs buy it now .
No just buy it it's GREAT..!!!!!
on 20 October 2003
This is a great album everyone should own this!
Suitable for all ages kids love it as much as adults. A song for every occasion. Shania sounds great. This is album is full of hit singles including: Man! I Feel Like A Woman, From This Moment, Don't be Stupid and You're still the one! and many more!!
on 12 December 1999
This is one of the best albums of my collection. There's something for all ages. There are the 5 singles, which are the ones which you can sing along to. (You're still the one, When, That Don't Impress Me Much, Man! I feel like a woman!) plus the spirit lifting "Honey I'm home" There are a few nice slow ballads aswell, like " If you wanna touch her ask" and "Black Eyes Blue Tears" Although most of this album is fab, there always have to be a few on any album which are total rubbish,and this album is no exeption, with the awful "You've got a way" and the annoying "Rock This Country!" not forgeting the worst song on the album "From This Moment On."
on 14 November 1999
I owned this long before the British version came out and comparing the two I can't understand why anyone would buy the later remixed version. Instruments have been taken out of the mix and not replaced (instrumental fills without instruments), or replaced with resampled mush. Of course this is to remove the twang factor ('country' instruments are the principal casualty). But the overall effect is messy and I'd recommend anyone to buy the US import instead. A great catchy pop country album.
on 23 January 2000
Shania Twain managed to cross over from Country music to Pop by releasing this fantastic album; co-written with her husband/producer Robert John 'Mutt' Lange. I have both her previous albums, 'woman in me' and 'Shania Twain' and enjoy listening to all of them. Also, Shania and Mutt do ALL of the backing vocals on 'Come on Over'. PS Listen out for Shania on Celine Dion's new album, on the track 'If walls could talk', written by Mutt Lange!