5.0 out of 5 stars Erykah Badu - Back with Class!
Having heard no songs from this album but going on the basis that this lady can not only sing but can write fantastically brilliant material, I was not disappointed on the sheer class, sassyness and funkyness of this album.
Published on 18 Sep 2003 by janaka35

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
I love Erykah Badu. I love her music, her style and her talent. But when I heard this album I was confused. It is clear that in this album she is trying something new, and a lot of the time I wondered if she recorded it in one take- making it up as she went along.
Published on 27 Sep 2003 by no1_christina

2.0 out of 5 stars If it ain't broke, don't fix it!, 27 Sep 2003
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
I think the best track is number 12, which is the UK bonus track. The rest I have to say were dissapointing. The music doesn't create any atmosphere and I can't think of a mood I would be in where I wanted to listen to it. My dad actually overheard some of the strange sounds coming from my bedroom and thought I was a little weird.
If your expecting anything like her previous albums, do not buy the CD. Don't be fooled! There is no value for your money either with just 8 tracks. And most of those tracks are crammed with strange sound samples. I'm sorry Erykah.. but what happened?

5.0 out of 5 stars Erykah Badu - Back with Class!, 18 Sep 2003
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Ms Badu provides a classy display of both skills amongst others on this album with 8 great tracks (excl. intro/outro). A more mature sound with cools tempos and lots of strong vocals....
Not crammed full of tracks proves not a problem since all are pure quality... My favourite is track 2..
Fan or not you will not be diappointed... 10/10

5.0 out of 5 stars This Album Was So Worth The Wait TRUST!!!!, 5 Oct 2003
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Iam a massive fan of erykah badu, and all i've gotta say is that this album is just CLASS.
1- INTRO- Well this intro is heavy, nice mellow funky beats, kinda on the acid jazz tip. scat music indeed, it dropped wicked.
2-BUMP IT - sounds like how it used to be back in the days with rnb, just a class beat, the vocals on this track is amazin, spectacular.......ONE OF MY FAVOURITE TUNES (Its deep, coz theres a deeper meaning to what she sayin)
3-BACK IN THE DAYS- this tune is just soooo chilled out the lyrics are just so real and touching.
Its VERY catchy tune, trust. its self explanatory alllll the way, the vocals are soooooooooo beautiful the beats just makes u wanna feel so at ease n relaxed. MY FAVOURITE TUNE 1#
she has to release this track mos def
4-I WANT YOU - this tune is deep theres so many elements to this tune. the beat, the way she sings on here, its a long song but lemme just say i rewind this tune all the time, its a emotional tune, very deep. love it
5- WOO- she doing it again wit her hip hop flavas
wid a bit of a different touch to it. heavy track
6- THE GRIND- this tune reminds me of the kinda styles she dropped on her last 2 albums, the beat is wicked, love it.
7- DANGER- This choon is just boom. her first single off the album, good choice.
when i first heard this choon, i knew erykah was gonna do it once again, coz this tune is just sooooooo her.....
8-THINK TWICE i love the way she progresses her voice in this song, kinda like a old skool rnb track, nice n mellow once again. DEEP
9-LOVE OF MY LIFE WORLDWIDE- this tune drops propa, love it, and upbeat track, kinda makes u wanna get up and dance. scat music once again....Just soooo erykah love it and havin queen latifah and angie stone and bahamadia.....boi this tune is heavy, wikid calaboration.
the beat is heavy trust, i love the scratchin on this track BOOM
10-Outro-nice way to end the album.
well over all i hope this has kinda given u a outlook on how the album is gonna be, i mean the only way to find out is if u get this album.
Its a must to the album collection.
i love every track on this album, but BACK IN THE DAYS is just my favorite track.
One thing about this album, it that theres a deeper meaning to each of these track, and its amazin like if u do work it out, coz erykah is just deep, better still thats ERYKAH BADU FOR U
well worth the wait......MOS DEF

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but lacking a magic sparkle, 17 Sep 2003
This review is from: Worldwide Underground (Audio CD)
Well it has been a little while since Ms. Badu's sophomore "Mama's Gun" and I really enjoyed that CD. However, it appears that the innovative, inspiring, original Ms. Badu of Baduizm and Mama's Gun has gone. This is not a bad album it is just that having set such high standards on her previous two albums (three if you include the live album) then one would expect something more innovative. Sure many will buy it because it has Ms. Badu written all over it but since Mama's Gun a host of other talented female artists have come up and have taken nu-soul onto another level. Check out Lizz Fields, Kim Hill and Maya Azucena for something more inspiring.
On her previous two albums there were definitely a few tracks that you could quite easily hum along to but there isn't such a standout track on this album. Having heard her on the Roy Hargrove album on the track Poetry I was expecting a lot from her on this album. There are plenty of excellent guest artists such as Roy Hargrove, Angie Stone, Lenny Kravitz and Bahamadia but they don't do enough to put this album in the excellent category. There is a nice cover of Donald Byrd's Think Twice and I Want You (not the Marvin song) is another excellent track but these just keep the album simmering. Suffice to say if this had been Baduizm would we all be hailing her as the artist she is now? Let's hope that this is just a little hiatus in the brilliance that we have come to expect from Ms. Badu.

Worldwide Underground