4.0 out of 5 stars 'TICK-TOCK'
9 Years ago 'Jack's' (Al Pacino) evidence was enough to put away a seriel killer.
On death-row the killers time is allmost up...........until...an identical murder is committed.........doubt upon the killers conviction could now give a 'stay' of execution.
'Jack' at this time recieves a call, he is given '88' minutes to live.
Now he has to find what he...
Published 4 months ago by rbmusicman

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian by-the-numbers thriller
Al Pacino managed to sink below the depths of acting on autopilot to complete sleepwalking throughout this uninspired movie. Fitting, giving the title, that this is a case of plot by numbers.
Published on 11 July 2009 by Mr. Stephen Kennedy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

2.0 out of 5 stars Pedestrian by-the-numbers thriller, 11 July 2009
Mr. Stephen Kennedy "skenn1701a" (Doha, Qatar) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Al Pacino is a forensic psychologist who gets a call telling him he has 88 minutes to live. Clues in the call tell him it is to do with a case from his past when his testimony was responsible for putting a man on death row. From there, we have predictable cat and mouse scenes, running around looking paranoid, head scratching and red herrings.. which all makes this sound more fun than it ultimately is. Don't get me wrong, as a time-passer this does the job - but if you figure out, as most people will, who is the `mystery' killer early on, the rest gets pretty mundane. Critically, the film can't make up its mind whether to try and be clever or not - it sets its stall as being all about this clever and insightful forensic psychologist, and bringing killers to justice through keenness of mind.. then in the same breath descends into schlocky running around and killing, with Pacino's character reduced to a leery old man completely lost and at the whim of the circumstances around him.
A wasted opportunity then, despite some interesting casting in the students Pacino is teaching.. here's hoping the cast, and I mean Pacino too, find some juicier roles in the future to help them shine.
This is not the worst film of the year by far, but it's a shame to rent or buy this when there are so many superior thrillers out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars '24 Lite': harmless entertainment, 1 Aug 2009
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is an odd little movie; a good example of how far you can stretch a small budget. Obviously inspired by '24' it uses much of the same high-speed sleight of hand to obfuscate the obvious.
The director must have spent the majority of the money on Pacino, who came over a bit showboat but that'll be a treat for Al fans. If you gallop along with the plot and don't consider too deeply then it works pretty well. The cast create a clever atmosphere of paranoia so we couldn't figure out exactly who was behind the plot -- or what exactly the plot was. Kept us guessing until the final reveal, which is a result. Not surprised it didn't get a big distribution at cinemas, but this made for perfectly acceptable rental entertainment.
The dvd extras were above average, too; a bit of insight from both director and star instead of Mr Gruff Voiceover doing a promo for the film we'd just seen. Nice to see an alternative ending.
7/10

2.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 6 Mar 2009
This review is from: 88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
Although there is plenty of tension in this fast paced thriller, Pacino appeared lacklustre to me. He goes through the motions of being the potential victim of a vengeful serial killer with all the verve of an actor trying to earn enough money to pay for a new roof on his house.

The film starts off with a thoroughly unpleasant opening scene. The story then reveals our action hero FBI forensic psychiatrist being pitted against time as he tries to unravel a mystery that may save his life. He doesn't know who to trust and there are plenty of Agatha Christie style red herrings thrown in for good measure.

Unfortunately the ending was fairly predictable and the film's villain was hopelessly one dimensional. If this is Hollywood's attempt at producing an intelligent film, it is hardly surprising that the Brits have done so well at the Oscars recently.

4.0 out of 5 stars 'TICK-TOCK', 17 Jun 2014
rbmusicman (U.K) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: 88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
'Jack' at this time recieves a call, he is given '88' minutes to live.
Now he has to find what he believes is a copy-cat killer within the time, he also has to prove his own innocence whilst trying to work out who wants to kill him, which he believes will also be the copy-cat.
This is a superior and tension filled drama which will lead you to many suspects, 'Pachino' is of course a class act as always.
(The film received a lot of negative feedback from critics when released, I found it entertaining myself definitely worth a spin in my view)

4.0 out of 5 stars A lightweight version of '24', 19 Nov 2012
Rowena Hoseason "Hooligween" (Kernow, Great Britain) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: DVD 88 MINUTES (DVD)
7/10

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to like and very enjoyable, 12 Sep 2010
This review is from: 88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
This is like a juiced-up version of 'DOA', only in this film, Pacino isn't dying - he's urgently trying to work out who's calling him to inform him of his imminent death in a series of nuisance phone calls while someone starts violently slashing up women in the style of the serial killer he put away nearly a decade ago. Avnet does a great job at turning a largely unoriginal story into enjoyable viewing. Yes, it's the eve of the killer's execution, but the killer is played by the magnetic Neal McDonough. Yes, Pacino's a weathered professional with a tragic past, but the tragedy is only hinted at until a surprisingly emotional and powerful reveal, and he manages to seem weathered without seeming downbeat or depressed. And yes, there are a vast plethora of suspects showered at the audience, but all of them are well acted and interesting.
His co-stars include Williams Forsythe in an under-used but passable role, Amy Brenneman is great, and it's nice to see Leelee Sobieski since I last remember her in 'Roadkill'. It's a big cast, but they all revolve around Pacino as he fights off the media curiosity about whether jailed killer McDonough is or isn't innocent while he tries to fight for his life.
It's got more action, chases and violence than I expected, and the climax is inventive. The visuals are also creative and help raise its game. It isn't genius but it's extremely entertaining and is very much well worth a watch.

1.0 out of 5 stars Awful just doesn't cut it!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: 88 Minutes (Amazon Instant Video)
If it were possible to give negative star ratings, I'd score this steaming dung heap a minus twelve. An outrageously improbable plot, unconvincing script and ham fisted performances ruin - well there's nothing worthwhile here to ruin. Why did it take one hour forty two minutes to tell a story that could have been told in eighty eight or if the director had any human decency and taste, eighty eight seconds. Frankly if this were the first Pacino movie I had seen I would have to conclude that there really is no beginning to his talent. Go watch the laundry spin in the washer instead. You'll enjoy it more and on a quick wash it won't take eighty eight minutes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Time is Counting Down for Jack, 16 Sep 2008
Mark Baker (Santa Clarita, CA United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Nine years ago, Dr. Jack Gramm (Al Pacino), a forensic psychiatrist, was the key witness in the trail and conviction of serial killer Jon Forster (Neal McDonough). Today, Jon is set to be executed for his crimes.

Jack not only has his own psychiatric firm, but he also teaches at the University of Washington in Seattle. He wakes up this morning to learn that one of his students was killed exactly the say way that Jon killed women.

Then he receives the phone call. "You have 88 minutes to live. At 11:45, you will die." At first he considers it a crank, but the more the person calls back, the more he takes it seriously. Is Jon guilty? Who murdered his student? And who is going to kill him?

I was attracted to this film because of the ticking clock premise. I am a sucker for those kind of stories, I guess. And as a thriller, it worked. I spent plenty of time cringing waiting for the next big event to come, hoping it wouldn't scare me.

I thought I had the villain pin pointed early on, but turned out to be wrong. Once I figured that out, I did pick up on the true villain earlier then I would have liked and spent the rest of the movie waiting for Jack to catch up.

Which brings me to the main problem with the film; it was predictable. And for a thriller, that's never a good thing. And it didn't help that the previews gave away way too much.

And I can't forget the slow start. Yes, we needed the information. But it could have been given to us once the story got started. As it was, I was almost bored before the prologue ended and the action began.

Additionally, the characters were rather flat. We're talking one dimensional at best. Heck, I never even connected with Jack. The only reason he got my sympathy was because I was afraid I'd jump during those tense scenes.

As a side note, do that that R rating seriously. The images of the murders are rather graphic. I had to look away a few times.

Despite all the negatives, this thriller is mildly entertaining. See it if you must. But you'd be better off renting or waiting until it hits TV first.

2.0 out of 5 stars I can't believe that Al Pacino was ever involved in this 3rd rate mess., 26 Jun 2014
This review is from: 88 Minutes (Amazon Instant Video)
On paper this sounded like an interesting film, plenty of decent names and the with Al Pacino headlining what could possibly go wrong? The answer sadly is nearly everything, it's a horrible mess of a film which barely makes sense, demands nothing of the actors other than they repeat lines from the script they were given, and manages to completely kill any tension it attempts to build.
Yes I would agree I feel I wasted 88 minutes watching this!

5.0 out of 5 stars 88 Twists & Turns, 24 Jun 2014
This review is from: 88 Minutes (Amazon Instant Video)
I really enjoyed this movie, it's my type of movie. There were Twists & Turns in the plot every minute, it did keep me guessing and I really didn't see thing coming the way they did.

Al Pacino is one actor that I've never really been into (I know he's a great actor but never been my cup of tea in the past) but having seen his recent work (including Insomnia, which I really did enjoy), he's growing on me and I will delve into his early filmography more.

Amy Brenneman is great in this, I've been a fan of her's from Judging Amy and I think she's brought some of that role with her for this, she's so organised in her professional life, yet her private life (the little bit of it we saw) is lacking that, just as it was in Judging Amy. I also loved Grey's Anatomy as well

The rest of the cast play their roles well, and this adds to the Twists & Turns (right down to the temp Doorman, what a shady charactor he looks....Adding even more to the plot).

I can't think of anything bad to say about this movie.
If you like movies that leave you guessing & thinking all the way to the end then give it a watch, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Enjoy

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

88 Minutes [DVD] [2008]
88 Minutes [DVD] [2008] by Jon Avnet (DVD - 2009)