5.0 out of 5 stars Death is not the end but maybe the start of something special., 22 Sep 2008
russell clarke "stipesdoppleganger" (halifax, west yorks) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Death (Audio CD)
"Death" yells grandpa Simpson at every thing in one episode of the long -running cartoon series. He has a point in a rather roundabout way for Death By White Lies is well worth shouting about.
Ushered in on a throbbing bass line this is a song that recalls the glossy pan vision production values of much of eighties alternative rock. For a three piece White Lies make an impressive sense--surround racket. The percussion thwacks against the speakers like a giant bat hitting your living room window. The guitars when they kick in on full in your face mode truly flay the air and there is added ummphhh from some very effusive keyboards.
The song has a genuine dramatic edge aided by singer Harry McVeigh's fervent vocals , especially effective on the rare occasion he lets go . "Yes this things got a hold on me" he exclaims . Comparisons will be made with New Order/ Joy Division ( though I think it's rather tenuous ) and they do sound like incongruous elements of many an eighties band. For more contemporary comparisons The Editors or Interpol are probably best. I have heard guff about bands like The Killers but White Lies on this evidence are far superior to tat like that.
I thought I had lost the capacity to be genuinely excited by simple rock music, and maybe this the over reaction of a jaded palette but Death sounded especially fine to me on a drab Monday evening. Towering stuff. Yes this songs got a hold on me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prediction - White Lies will be huge, hugely important, or probably both., 5 Dec 2008
Gary Mcghee "roughluv" (london uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Death (Audio CD)
I haven't heard a rock band as moving and powerful as this since The Smiths circa The Queen Is Dead, and that is the highest praise. Their first single Unfinished Business is breathtakingly great, with a chorus so achingly uplifting that tears well up every time I hear it. To say that I'm eagerly anticipating the first album would be the understatement of the decade. If the rest is anything like as good as the first three singles it will be a classic.

Death (Digital Version)