5.0 out of 5 stars G13 review after 2 weeks of play
Published on 13 April 2009 by Mark Graves

3.0 out of 5 stars Close, but no cigar.
Disappointing. Although the build quality is excellent and it is very comfortable to use, I have had to send it back. Two reasons.

The main reason I bought this, is because I have to play my PC games from my sofa. My PC room recently became a nursery (times are a-changing!) and so my PC is now tucked behind my TV in my front room. Balancing a keyboard on my lap...
Published on 13 July 2012 by Will

5.0 out of 5 stars G13 review after 2 weeks of play, 13 April 2009
Mark Graves (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
I play Age of Conan and this device has very much improved my pvp play. It helps alot to be able to use the mini thumb joystick and move around easily during intense pvp melee combat. This is the the play aspect that sets Age of Conan apart from other MMO's and the G13 takes some getting used to but is a great help in this area, once you get over the learning curve. The G13 is very comfortable to use and you can configure it easily in any set-up you like. The best PC game pad I have ever used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome gaming tool, 3 Jun 2009
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
I purchased this device a short while ago in the hopes that it would sharpen my game up a little - I play World of Warcraft with a guild that is constantly chasing down hard-mode PvE achievements and I also like to engage in a spot of PvP once in a while, so the ability to move quickly, shoot while moving, and generally react instantly to the changing environment is crucial.

This is a fantastic device for my purposes, and I would rate it as the #2 item that every WoW player simply must have. (#1 being a Blizzard authenticator, for obvious reasons...)

The thumb joystick works well, and lets me easily move while shooting while using the mouse to control where I'm looking - its angle to my hand while on the device still feels a bit off after a few weeks of playing, and that is pretty much the only improvement I would suggest for the device, except that it would be nice if the software for the G13 and G19 keyboard could also be used to control my G9 mouse profiles. A 10-15 degree clockwise adjustment would probably make it perfectly angled for my hand.

Note: It takes some time to get used to the unit and the key layouts you decide upon. Don't try taking this into a raid or arena on the same day you purchase it - give it some time until you can find your keybound abilities without fumbling about.

Also, take the time to devise a number of macros either in-game or in the device control panel. It really is worth it when you start using the Logitech macro utility with any keybound abilities you have. Think shot rotations, think GCD wait times built into macros, think awesome-sauce!

Awesome device. I had a Nostromo and just couldn't get to love it. Different story with the G13, if you took it away from me today I wouldn't be able to raid.

5.0 out of 5 stars money well spent., 20 Oct 2009
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
Bought for Warcraft. Easy to setup and use. Gave greater flexibility to the game; excellent for melée PvP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product once you get used to it, 14 Oct 2011
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
I bought this because my apple aluminium keyboard is not so easy to use for games.
The pros:
It is a well built product, buttons are comfortable, each to reach, hand and wrist rest quite nicely. Very easy to program, create profiles and such, has in built application control for the LCD i.e. when playing Bad company you can see your KD ratio and other info, and surprisingly, the joystick although tiny, is easy to use. I use it for FPS and RPG and RTS, and although for rpg and rts it is ideal, getting used to it for fps is a different story.
The cons:
If you have very large hands like I do, you might find your hands reaching the end of the device and it may be hard for you to press the first buttons without clawing you hand. For fps games it is really hard to switch weapons as you normally do with the numbered buttons above wasd, and although you could setup a different layout where the front row of buttons becomes the numbers, the wasd layout already exists on the gamepad. I have been using it for just over a week now and I'and am starting to get used to it, and it does feel nice and comfortable, but setting it up properly for fps games looks like its going to be hard.
It would have been better if there was an extra row above the wasd buttons, or if the buttons located near the wrist were moved further up.
Excellent product nonetheless, very easy setup, well worth the money if you do not want to buy an expensive keyboard.

5.0 out of 5 stars G13 Gamepad used for video editing, after effects, photoshop... as well as a couple of games, 20 Aug 2010
Mr. Lnf Maitland (Bath UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
Fantastic well made comfortable product. I bought this as I work professionally doing video editing and effects using Premiere, After Effects as well preparing images in Photoshop. I never felt comfortable with a lot of the keyboard contortionists short cut keys for these programs. The keyboard felt uncomfortable especially when working alongside a wacom tablet. With the game pad working these programs is far more comfortable and intuitive. The mini joystick is great for navigating timelines/zooming on pictures. Even with AE where there heaps of short cuts 25 keys covers all the most important. This thing has made a real difference and I'm very happy with it. I store three profile on the pad which makes it a doddle to move between programs. I have changed the display colour for each, so know exactly which one im using. I work on a Mac which links in with this great. Playing Call of Duty is also a pleasure with the G13.

5.0 out of 5 stars This or the Razer Orbweaver..........., 28 Mar 2013
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
............no contest !!! The Logitech wins on every level.

Quick background, I'm a console player for many years, and decided to make the switch to PC gaming. But I knew there was no way I could play with the WASD keys for movement, so was looking for something that would give me movement in similar method to console, but I still wanted to use a mouse for aiming and firing, (I play FPS games mostly).

So I originally bought the Razer Orbweaver in the hope that it's d-pad would allow me to move around in game as I would on a console, ie. using my thumb to control movement. There was no way of using the Orbweaver's d-pad as an analogue stick like on a console controller, so I had to assign the WASD keys to the relevant movements on the d-pad. I'm currently playing MoHW, and it was woeful. Sometimes the d-pad would move the character correctly and other times it wouldn't.I found it totally useless. The Orbweaver is around 115 depending where you buy it.

So I bought the Logitech. I'd downloaded the software from Logitech's website in preparation of the device arriving so I had the latest software. Before plugging it in, installed the software, then plugged in the G13 and it was found soon enough. As easy as I expected to be honest.

Next I thought I was in for hours (it may seem like an exaggeration, but seeing how long I'd spent with the Orbweaver and the Synapse's software and trying to get that d-pad to work with MoHW, I honestly thought it would be a while getting it setup), of setting up time to get the d-pad working right. I was in for a pleasant surprise. Despite having not touched the manual, (as it was in the same wrapping as the installation CD and I hadn't needed that), I couldn't believe how easy it was to set this thing up.

Everything in Logitech's software is graphically intuitive. So without even thinking about it, I found myself at the "Game your Way" screen. Basically this is where you would configure how you would like the buttons to react in game. The nice thing was, I was about to start mapping keys, and found that from a drop down I could scroll through a VERY long list of games, (MoHW included) and it would map the keys for me. Got a game that's just released, don't worry there's an option to update the list !!

Better still I could set the thumb pad on the G13 to joystick. Basically if your PC game supports a console type controller, (most major titles do, and alot of the others as well), the thumb stick will work as movement in game without any issues. It seems to work a hell of alot better than mapping WASD (as I had to do on the Orbweaver), although I've read that it's not a true analogue setup, this is something Logitech are looking at in a future software update.

There is so much to this gamepad, over the Orbweaver, there is just too much to write. Maybe the one downside I would say with the G13 is that it's much larger than the Orbweaver in terms of desk space footprint, so if you have little room where you game it maybe an issue. But for me that's not a worry.

Cannot rate this produce highly enough. Will definitely be looking more closely at Logitech hardware in future over Razer products.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, if a little expensive, 8 Jan 2010
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
I've had this gameboard for a couple of months now and have so far only used it for Left 4 Dead.

I can't claim that it has revolutionised my gaming experience compared to my ordinary keyboard. However, I am more comfortable (my hand is 19cm wrist-end of middle finger, 22cm span) and I have access to all the keys and a few macros that I need. When using the G13 I shove my full keyboard under my monitor to make space on the desk. To be fair, I'm probably not making the full use of it as there aren't masses of keys needed for L4D. It's not like RTS or RPG games in that respect. I haven't tried it for other games, but imagine it would be even more useful.

One big downside for me is that the device won't work with Linux. Other devices such as the Nostromo (or N52te) store the keys on the device by default and without the need for software once it's set up. There's a community Linux driver in development, but it would be nice if Logitech could provide one or at least give people the tools to do it.

Profiles and Mappings
The device provides as many "profiles" as you want - typically one per game (the device detects when you launch most games and switches profile accordingly). Each profile provides 3 "mappings", each of which you assign a colour. When you press one of the 3 keys at the top of the device, it switches between each mapping. For example, in my L4D profile I have one mapping for lobby/server commands (pink), a second for in-game movement (green) and another for in-game communications (light blue). The latter I've set up so the character speaks a command and it also gets printed on the screen via in-game chat. I have a few important keys (ESC and Tab and Alt+TAB) set the same in each mapping so I can always find them. Switching mappings requires you to move you hand, so it can't be done quickly in the heat of battle, but thankfully that means it doesn't happen by accident either. The colour change makes it easy to spot which mode you're in. Note: The colour changes affects all keys - you can't have each key a different colour. Also, the colours assigned to mappings are the same across all profiles.

Keys
There are 22 "normal" keys on the main part of the pad and one more near the joystick that is easily accessible with your thumb (if you're right-handed). However, many of those keys are a bit of a stretch and mean moving your hand off the crucial WSAD keys for a moment. I'm not sure how this could be improved however, but I workaround it by putting the rarely-used options around the edges and keep all the vital functions close to hand.

I've found the keys comfortable and responsible, certainly better positioned than any conventional keyboard. The impression on WSAD does help to find them quickly, although it takes some getting used to. My advice is to start with a similar layout to your normal keyboard. I have trouble remembering all the voice macros I've set up but rarely use, so I took a screenshot of the set up program in three modes and have it as the background on my second monitor.

LCD screen
I admit I thought this bit was a useless gimmick before I tried it. It's certainly not vital, but has a few handy apps with it (Clock, Stopwatch/Counter timer, CPU/Memory usage). Again the timer start/stop keys are too far to reach without moving your whole hand. L4D2 doesn't link to the LCD, but some games do - not sure how useful that would really be. What IS useful is that Apps like Teamspeak 3 and Fraps automatically make use of the screen. In TS3 I can see who's speaking and use the buttons below the screen to change channels, kick people, etc. This would be particularly useful for anyone with only a single main monitor.

Overall
I'm pretty pleased with the G13; it is comfortable, easy to use and seems well-built. It certainly has more features than the Belkin Nostromo N522te or Saitek controllers, but is also significantly more expensive. I suspect that strategy or role-players may get more out of it than mostly-FPS players like myself, but it still has much to recommend it. For me it only loses a star because of the lack of Linux support.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Piece of Kit, 20 Jun 2013
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
Great to use. You can assign 22 keys to the main keypad. 5 to the joystick and 2 either side of the joystick. There are also 3 modes for each profile which you can switch on the fly.

The keypad is a good size for larger handed users and the wrist support I found comfortable.

The LCD is a fun little gimmick, but if it could bring production cost down, I say leave it out of the next version Logitech. If you need to know how much of you RAM or CPU is being used as you play or you want a screen for Fraps, then I suppose its useful.

A nice touch i found was the ability to change the key back light to any colour to match your set up.

I recommend people going online for the latest update once they've installed the G13

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it time and you will never go back. ** Guide to setup your game! **, 26 May 2013
Lee Doyle (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
I got this and after a day of use I was upset. It just seemed to not be what I expected it to be. I read some reviews which said that I needed to give it time... So I did.

I play World Of Warcraft and after finding my perfect set-up I now love it. I would say it takes around 7 days of use to get your finger remembering where things are. Even after you "think" you have it good, it gets better.

-----
For any "WOW" or "MMORPG" players I would give this advice for the set-up. This may also work for other games but I only play MMORPG's at the moment.

You normally use 1,2,3,4,5... as your first keys? Well don't when you set this up. Use "3-4-5-6 as your main keys (Just replace them in this order). It makes it much more simple and with the design it works 100% faster.

Also! For WOW players get the ADD-ON "Dominoes". This add-on will allow you to move your buttons around. It is much better than other add-ons I tried. I set it up so my buttons mimic the look of the G13.

So you have
7 on top
7 for the 2nd row
5 for the 3rd row
3 for the bottom

1 to the right of the keys
1 under the this one.
I also use the control stick button (When you push it down) as my mount button. Some use it as Jump but i found it annoying so used a middle button as jump.

I made a picture to show this. I hope Amazon allow it.
http://s8.postimg.org/9raz8l4r9/G13_wow_setup.jpg --- This is a link. cope & paste

Lastly. change the direction buttons! Change:
LEFT = Q
RIGHT = E

Change it to these or you will be running around and getting no where.

This is just to show you how to set up the G13 in WOW and other MMORPG's. I found it also speeded up my game as I used less add-ons now.

Hope this helps! If so thumb me up :)

Any comments I will try to answer.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Kit, 11 April 2012
This review is from: Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard (Accessory)
This game pad is quite simply awesome. In every game I have played, it has given me the edge. My only complaint and it is a big complaint, the thumb stick is far too smooth! If you are playing a game that needs accurate control, Rage springs to mind whilst driving, the sweat off your thumb makes the thumb stick slippery and uncontrolable. If it was not for the thumb stick, I would have given 5 stars.

Pity really, an excellent piece of kit, let down by a silly thumb stick!

Logitech 920-000947 G13 Gameboard