on 30 June 2009
Wow, first of all I only bought this because it was obviously a well known 80's movie and I was trying to broaden my horizons in terms of film and can I just say that this was fantastic.
I won't give away the story but it is about a group of seven friends who are all college graduates and are fairly wealthy. I was a bit sceptical at first but once the movie got going I understood why it was a classic 80's film. It's funny, moving and got that extra quality that we all look for when needing a good watch!
on 9 September 2000
I loved this film. Ok I was 8 when it was originally released but I still love it and the whole genre of films from this era. The acting is great particularly by Andrew Mc Carthy and Ally Sheedy. Try watching this film you will enjoy it. And I have no hesitation in recommending it to anyone. I may not be american but being 23 now I fully sympathise with the choices people have to make in life about what's right for them. I don't know if this is meant to teach us a lesson but I think it does it teaches us to look at friendship because sometimes friends can be the best and worst thing in your life. At the risk of sounding like a cheesy video cover I dare you not to enjoy this.
on 3 December 2006
This movie is considered as one of the famous 80s "Brat Pack" movies, since it featured some well-known actors and actresses of the 80s "Brat Pack", such as Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Emilio Estevez.

However, it is very different from their other movies, so it's wrong to think that if you liked the others, then you'll like St Elmo's Fire, too.

St Elmo's Fire is not a teen movie, it's a movie about young adults who have just left school and who are trying to find their place in the adult's world. It's about different expectations and hopes young adults have, their goals, and how they are trying to achieve them (more or less successfully). By the end of the movie they have all realized that being an adult is not as easy and great as they thought when they left school.

If you watch the movie and expect something like "16 Candles" or "The Breakfast Club", then you might be disappointed because it's not like those movies (on the other hand, if you don't like those movies it doesn't necessarily mean you won't like this one). The content is less funny (even though there are some laughs) but rather sad and mature.

But the movie itself is not a disappointment at all!

It features brilliant actors (which is important because it's mainly a character movie), who play their parts really persuasive (I especially love the interactions of Alec (Judd Nelson), Leslie (Ally Sheedy) and Kevin (Andrew McCarthy)).
on 6 December 2001
St Elmo's Fire captured a vibrant moment in the 1980's, but the characters and their problems still resonate with the 'young and confused' of today.
If you want to see a classic film about spreading your wings in the big wide world then this is it.
St Elmo's fire brings together the best collection of young actors from a generation of talent.
Judd Nelson (Breakfast Club, 1985) Andrew McCarthy (Class, 1984), Rob Lowe (Class, 1984),
Ally Sheedy (Breakfast Club, 1985), Emilio Estevez, Demi Moore, Mare Winningham, Andie Macdowell.
Directed by Joel Schumacher, a very enlightened guy and a great film brain. Watch out for the added commentary on the DVD, it's a really great insight into how the film was made and it's continuing timeless success from 1985 to today.
Mart Owen.
on 12 August 2001
A great movie. College-graduates struggling with their dreams for the future. The story in many ways deals with the problem of holding on the friends of your youth as you grow up and take on different interests and paths in life. It's a nostaligic trip back to the 80:s for many of us that were young then. Rob Lowe and Demi Moore makes this a great movie. A cult-classic.
on 5 August 2011
As a long-time fan of the 80s bratpack, this has always been one of my favourite movies from that time. It features a host of the bratpackers at their peak - Judd Nelson, Rob Lowe, Andy McCarthy, Emilio Estevez, Ally Sheedy etc. It's such a shame that this is often overlooked in favour of the John Hughes movies. Whilst they're great too, St Elmo's Fire is every bit as good.

Now I already had this movie on DVD and really wasn't sure whether or not to 'upgrade' to the Blu Ray version. I've purchased enough Blu Rays of 80s and 90s movies to know that they tend to go one of two ways - very good transfers, or p1ss-poor/lazy upscale jobs. Finally taking the gamble and purchasing the Blu Ray I have to say it's well worth the upgrade, it's a very good transfer. It's not quite an 'Italian Job' or 'Zulu', but it's certainly better than average. If Zulu and The Italian Job are 10/10s then I'd score the St Elmo's Fire Blu Ray as a 9/10 on picture quality. Colours are vibrant, detail is fine, there was no noticeable noise or artifacting. Audio, you get a 5.1 TrueHD track, which given the great soundtrack this movie has, is very welcome.

Extras-wise, you get (in SD) a commentary by Joel Schumacher, a separate JS retrospective interview, deleted scenes, and the John Parr 'Man in Motion' music video.

All in all - if you're a fan of this movie then this is the best possible version. If you already have it on DVD, is it worth the upgrade? In my opinion, yes. I picked this up for less than a tenner, well worth it.
on 14 April 2005
Though it was made in the 80s and certainly captures very well the mood and feel of that era it nonetheless highlights the strains and stresses of being young in the modern world. The decisions we have to make, the choices that overwhelm us, and of course the way we change and grow as our lives take shape. A classic brat-pack film with a ageless storyline. A DVD certainly worth adding to your collection.
on 17 April 2012
A story of growing up, friendship, love, hatred, the consequences of our choices and the things that bond us. St Elmo's Fire is, in my opinion, a brilliant film that many could learn from or at the very least parallel thier own experiences. It's got a great 80's cast (Demi Moore, Rob Lowe, Emilio Estevez), is both moving and funny and quite frankly I could watch it over and over again!
on 27 September 2013
St Elmo's fire was made before I was born, but that doesn't stop it still being relevant and entertaining. It is simply a good film about a group of young peoples complicated life's. There is a lot of good one-liners and if you enjoyed the breakfast club then give this a try. There is also a great 80's soundtrack.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 August 2011
Directed by Joel Schumacher and starring some of the notables from the 1980s Brat Pack, St. Elmo's Fire asks the question of what do a group of tight knit pals do now that they have graduated from college? Choosing not to use what made the the best of John Hughes' {who is wrongly associated with this film} films work, ie: winning comedy in amongst the drama, Schumacher attempts to move on from teenager angst to the worry of looming adulthood, but without the comedy execution. Trouble is, is that it, and its cast, is never able to fully break away from the teen angst feel that enshrouds the characters. Adult angst exists, but it comes off as a dilution of similar films of its ilk. The writing is fine enough within its intentions, home truths about love, careers, marriage and various off shoots of adulthood trauma. All get nice little plot strands from which to uncoil themselves. But with some bad cheese acting from the likes of Rob Lowe and Emilio Estevez, and that nagging itch that these guys are so unlikeable. St. Elmo's Fire is ultimately an interesting, and honest enough 80s picture that ultimately never fully realises its potential. 5.5/10