Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 1 May 2008
This is a surprisingly good album from Mayall, who plays all the instruments (apart from a little help from Keef Hartley on the drums). Quite laid-back and introspective in feel, I suspect it may have got him thinking about using this almost acoustic approach in the future, which eventually came to pass with the "Turning Point" line-up of Steve Thompson, Jon Mark and Johnny Almond.

Don't expect any wailing guitar solos, because there aren't any; what we have are nicely crafted songs with sympathetic accompaniment from Mayall. His keyboard and harmonica work is particularly good. My favourite track is Marsha's Mood, a slow moody instrumental, but there is plenty to enjoy here. This release has one extra track (an alternative take of Marsha's Mood) so if you already have it on cd you may not wish to buy this, other than if you are an avid collector.
on 5 February 2009
I bought this recently having had it on vinyl since 1970. It sounded as fresh as ever. The amazing thing is that John recorded this in 1967 in one day - and played all the instruments, with the exception of drums, where he had a little help from Keef Hartley. The tracks are all self-penned and are in the traditional blues mode. His blues harp playing stands out on many tracks, especially Brand New Start and Catch That Train. The slow blues song Down the line is a piano based tale of woe which he sings with feeling. All in all, this is an amazing feat: nothi ng like it could happen today. Buy it and enjoy the man at his lone best.
on 9 June 2015
Arguably the finest british solo blues album ever, all instruments played by John (with a little help from a drummer - Keef Hartley). Sounding raw and honest and from the heart. I had this on vinyl which sounded even better, but it wore out. It has a very informative track listing and an introduction by John Peel. Somehow, I don't think the blues scene in England would have spawned so many of the great bands that came after this and John Mayall's influence. This is a must for every serious blues collector. I rate it 11/10, but what do i know - i'm a drummer.
on 8 April 2014
I already have this on vinyl, but wanted to have the CD to play in my car late at night, driving home. I love the laid-back, understated delivery, the raw sound, the simplicity. Favourite track - "Broken Wings". John Peel said that it should be listened to driving late at night in the rain to really appreciate this track. I have to agree with him.
on 13 June 2015
I first bought this collection as a black vinyl LP (all you could get in those days) in the sixties and loved it straight away. I still have the original but wanted the convenience of a cd or MP3 version. All the tracks are brilliantly performed by John Mayall (the father of British blues). As well as singing, he plays all instruments except for a few drum parts (Keef Hartley obliged with these). Really pleased to hear it all again.
on 20 May 2012
It arrived in reasonable time, my Dad had this in vinyl years ago, the music does not change & brings back memories of 30 years ago. John Mayall demonstrates his versatility here as a musician, as a performer & above all else - a blues man.
on 26 December 2012
As an fan who didn't quite get it when I was young, but now I have had my eyes opened to this great artist.
on 8 March 2016
Ya get what ya pay for with Mayall.......... love it !!
on 3 January 2016
One of the greats the blues rules
on 20 April 2016