Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

VINE VOICEon 9 October 2003
The Jump Up album of 1982 found Elton starting to fire on all cylinders again. After the sheer intensity of the early 'seventies cuminating in the flawed masterpiece of Blue Moves, he and Bernie had run out of steam. The late 'seventies and early eighties saw him experiment with new musical styles - typified by the frankly dreadful Victim of Love. He also branched out with new writing partners including Tom Robinson and Judie Tzuke. Chief amongst these collaborators was Gary Osbourne, a lyricist who would write to melodies that Elton had composed. With Bernie the lyric had always come first. Perhaps unsurprisingly, this lent a Moon, June, Spoon feel to much of Osbourne's output. However, by Jump Up they were actually producing some good stuff. 'Blue Eyes' is perhaps the only John/Osbourne classic, but 'Dear John' is a driving rocker enlivened by Jeff Porcaro's beefy drumming and 'Princess'is a decent piece of pop. Interesting on this album is a first collaboration with future Oscar winning partner Tim Rice. 'Legal Boys' is a pained tale of divorce and displays a lyrical depth rare in pop songs. But, the main point of Jump Up was that Bernie (despite having never really left the scene) was back as chief lyricist. 'Empty Garden', Bernie's heartfelt and shocked response to the assassination of their good friend John Lennon was the first classic John/Taupin composition for half a decade. Yes it is 'funny how one insect can damage, so much grain'. 'Where Have all the Good Times Gone,' is a nostalgic rocker by two men heading towards middle age and 'All Quiet on the Western Front' a tender eulogy to the Great War dead. The latter Elton was wont to describe as the worst selling single in Phonograms history - it certainly wasn't part of the new romantic zeitgeist and was a surprising choice of single. There is filler here; 'Robot' is plain silly, 'Spiteful Child' is unfocused bitter misogyny which Bernie can write in his sleep. Too much filler to make this a great album. But, the Jump Up tour saw him back on the road with Nigel Olsson, Dee Murray and Davey Johnstone and rockin' crowds all over the world. 1983 would see the classic Too Low For Zero album of exclusive Taupin compositions with its three hit singles. In this context Jump Up can be seen as heralding the second coming of (the future Sir) Elton John. Re-mastered, great, but why no bonus tracks? There were planty of B sides around at the time that could have found a home here.
on 3 July 2001
When is this recording gonna be remastered? It's much, much better than 'Ice On Fire' which has already had the treatment. 'Jump Up' is Elton's most underrated album of the 80s. The singles here are Elton classics ("Blue Eyes" and "Empty Garden") but just about ANY of the songs here could've been singles.
While later albums tend to suffer heavily from bad synthesiser sounds, this album is just Elton and the band knocking out tune after tune. "Legal Boys" and "Ball And Chain" move along effortlessly and "Spiteful Child" and "Dear John" just rock (well, as much as Elton ever rocked in the 80s). "Princess" is a "Little Jeannie" kind of mid-tempo love song and the closer, "All Quiet On The Western Front" is as poignant as a closing ballad gets.
"I Am Your Robot" is the only dispensable song here-- and even that's not as bad as some of the travesties that would appear on Elton's other 80s discs. Get this now if you're a casual Elton fan and haven't heard it-- but then again, it MIGHT be worth your while waiting for the remaster and those extra tracks (if it ever comes out).
VINE VOICEon 19 November 2013
Not really a fan of Elton John, though no-one can deny his continued success and string of successful Singles and Albums. I have purchased quite a few of his Singles over the years, but this was merely due to the fact I was heavily into chart music at the time and bought Singles from acts I didn't always `follow'. I have never felt the urge to purchase any of his albums - not until his release of what I believe to be one, if not `the' best of his Singles released that was way back in 1982 called `Blue Eyes'. I always used to have a favourite Single for each year - one that I would continue to play throughout - long after it had left the chart, and this was my favourite Single from that year. I recall being extremely disappointed at the time when it only peaked at number eight; I really felt it should have given him a number one. It's a song that will forever remind me of the summer of `82. I usually only purchase albums after two or maybe three Singles that I like have been taken from them, but occasionally I will be drawn to an album that contains perhaps one exceptionally good song - and from Elton John for me, this was it, and I wasn't disappointed!

It's unlikely this will get me to look at his back catalogue, but this album is definitely great stuff! and after the very first listening, I felt the need and desire to play it straight through again. (not something that is usual for me) I also think that this was a period when Elton John probably looked at his best and most attractive; more masculine than before or after this period. I also recall him looking pretty sexy on the picture bag of `Blue Eyes' too, and he also looks good here on the cover of this album; the hat suits him and definitely the black leather look!! ; - )
on 11 May 2012
Well after Elton and Bernie Parted company for a while, Elton collaborated with other Lyricists, the main one being Gary Osbourne. I was led to believe that the MAGIC Had returned on the Fantastic Album "2 Low for Zero", but alas this is not true.(Well obviously someone elses thoughts)
I Had Long sought the recording of the song about the Death of John Lennon, and here you will find it. FANTASTIC, as are most of the other tracks.
This Album MARKS THE START of the Rebirth of TAUPIN/JOHN Compositions and I would recommend it very highly to all Fans of Elton John.
There are some Truly Wonderful Tracks on this and any Fan should DEFINATELY have it in their Collection.
on 13 April 2013
hola a todos los fanáticos de los vinilos.me encanto este disco exelente estado.se recomienda el vendedor.soy hernan de argentina. estoy muy satisfecho.
on 18 May 2013
bought this to replace my tape recording as new car only plays cd's. princess is our wedding song and really wanted to be able to play it sometimes.
on 27 October 2013
Have the album on vinyl great to be able to add the CD. Looking out for more of the same from this great artist.
on 12 November 2014
bought as a replacement for my vinyl one not one of his best albums but nevertheless still has some good songs on it.
on 27 September 2003
i got this for my brother,as he is a big elton fan.its really good,and a must for any fan.
on 24 January 2016