5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Sings the Blues
Published on 25 Mar 2008 by OEJ

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!
Published on 29 April 2008 by H Pedder

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Sings the Blues, 25 Mar 2008
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a faintly retro-flavoured compilation of songs all written by Melody Gardot and I must say straight away, as a lover of female jazz/R&B singers such as Norah Jones, Amy Winehouse, Duffy and Katie Melua I found this album worthy of an immediate placement in my car's 6-CD cartridge where it will be played over and over as I traverse the country. I also think it's very well produced, the quality of the recording is right up there with the best, so if you want to show off your hifi system to discerning ears you won't go wrong by choosing Worrisome Heart as a demo disc. Nice tenor sax, piano, trumpet, bass, clarinet, cello and dobro. Not to mention a great voice. This lady's got talent, class and a highly promising future. Definitely recommended if you like the lady singing the blues.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melody Gardot does not disappoint, 10 Oct 2009
Alan Robinson - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (Audio CD)
Second album i have bought by Melody.Very mellow easy listening, both have been excellent and will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give it a chance, 21 Feb 2009
Mr B (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (MP3 Download)
Jazz isn't a genre I would normally say is a must but the voice that Melody Gardot has and the soft simple Jazz tunes that float through the album make this an unmissable entry into the world of Jazz.

Go on give it a go, you know you want to. You've come this far, go that extra step, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Accessible Jazz, 30 Mar 2008
Cheatin' Jockey (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have only a smattering of jazz in my collection so I'm by no-means a fan of the genre. With this in mind I found Melody's album very accessible; I won't compare her directly to Norah Jones but Norah does provide a useful yardstick here. If you like what Norah does then you will find this a little up-tempo and a bit more jazzy; if you don't like what Norah does because you find it sombre then the wider dynamic range and depth might well appeal.

I really liked the quality of the production of the album too - I have mid range gear but I would image that a nice Linn or Naim system would make this sound really special. The deep luxurious bass notes, cool sax and oboe really sound very nice.

There is only one track I'm not mad about, which isn't bad for an album these days though at only 33 minutes it's not the longest album in the world.

Overall the album is quite an unexpected pleasure; my wife said exactly the same thing!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Superb Piece of Work, 18 Oct 2007
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (Audio CD)
The independent stateside release of Worrisome Heart is the best record I've heard in many a year. Now that she's signed to Universal, listeners worldwide now have the opportunity to enjoy it too. With a great mix of jazz, folk, and singer-songwriter styles, and spot-on perfect production by Glenn Barratt and Melody, what really makes this disc special is the exquisitely beautiful songwriting. This is her first full length recording and it's just an amazingly superb piece of work. Go see her sing live if you get the chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 29 April 2008
H Pedder "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm not usually a fan of this kind of music, but the soft jazzy sounds combined with Melody's mellow voice made me simply sit back and relax with a glass of wine! Great background music for dinner parties, or to add ambience to an evening in with a loved one...without wanting to push this album into a pile of cliches, it does - for me - precisely what jazz should do. It's not inspiring but nor is it mundane. Just lovely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Classy, soulful music, but nothing too special, 1 April 2010
Jennifer Malsingh (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (Audio CD)
Melody Gardot has a beautiful soulful voice, and the music is well put together and enjoyable. However, it never really goes further than that. It's nice background music for a lazy Sunday afternoon or a dinner party, but it's not going to set anyone's heart on fire, worrisome or not.

5.0 out of 5 stars absolute bliss!, 3 Nov 2009
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (MP3 Download)
this album is a joy from start to finish - I just wish Melody had recorded more already - I can't get enough of her melodic voice and clear tones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A soulful jazz star is born ., 29 Nov 2009
This review is from: Worrisome Heart (Audio CD)
I discovered Melody earlier this year with her track "Baby I'm a fool" from her 2nd album "My One And Only Thrill".... I loved that album so much that I had to buy this one too, this is her debut.

And it is a confident and convincing jazz debut I must say. I'm not a major jazz fan but this girl has captured my attention. She is more convincing than say Norah Jones at jazz for me and she is not as showy and glossy as say Michael Buble who I have to say I have sadly tired of... can't get into his new album much at all.

Melody has a really soulful voice and it is clear this style of music is perfect for her... she evokes a smoky jazz club feel on this album and her 2nd one too. It's so soulful and sincere... it's not about over-complex arrangements, it's about her selling the lyrics to you ... she sings it like she means it... really effective.

Maybe, too laid back and slow for some people's tastes.... She never goes for big band style numbers... yet for me, her arrangements are simple yet beautiful. This is why I kinda lost interest in Buble... it's all a little too showy now... this lady just sings her heart out without any major bells and whistles.

The album is full of laid back tracks that you can just lay back and relax too... not an album that you are going to get ready for a night out to but... just because it lacks up-tempo numbers doesn't mean it is really lacking at all... an album for a quiet night in or contemplative moods.

Personal faves of mine: the beautiful Love Me Like A River Does, the lilting Sweet Memory , the soulful Worrisome Heart and the charming goodnite.

3.0 out of 5 stars ...s'arite..., 4 April 2008
Mr. H "Mr H" (Embra) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Ms Gardot has been in receipt of acres of press coverage in the more worthy areas of the media recently, what with the remarkable back story. You know the one. Dreadful accident, records music as means of therapy, everyone goes "wow", record deal etc. And it is a remarkable back story. But that doesn't make for a remarkable CD.

Don't get me wrong, "Worrisome Heart" is a good album, with its mixture of lite jazz and blues, and Philadelphian singer / songwriter Melody Gardot has a very listenable voice. But there isn't anything new going on here. Everyone will say it, but it's straight of Norah Jones 101, with an optional module in Nellie McKay. Again, there is nothing wrong with that, and on the best material here - 'Worrisome Heart', 'Some Lessons', 'Sweet Memory', you can't help but get caught up in the music.

The music itself is very simple and acoustic, something that works well, allowing Ms Gardot to express herself vocally without being overwhelmed, a trait best demonstrated on the song that could actually make her name, the truly beautiful 'Love Me Like a River Does'. As she says herself, ""I gravitate towards soothing music, often genres that are soft and somewhat unassuming. Music can do wonders for your spirit especially when it's the kind that calms you". And she's hit that mark perfectly.

It's a very promising start, but there's a way to go, before she takes her place at the top of the pile.

Worrisome Heart